Wikiposts

Tazzy's in laws

Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by debsy
Tazzy

Sorry to hear about today. Doesn't seem to be getting any better does it. Why don't you just tell them that you are going for a year? You don't have to come back at the end of the year and by that time they may have adapted to the idea.

Best of luck.
Debs
We have said to them that we are going to give it 2 years, and if it doesn't work out we'll come back. But they seem to be wise to that line, and have said, we are only saying it to soften the blow!
I can't win.
Tazzy
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by jandjuk
Why not just tell them you're coming back after a year? Nobody knows what will happen in the future, and you'll be entitled to 'change your mind' once out there.

Return tickets are not that much more in one way - you can go out there, and plan a holiday back in the UK after a year. That way they'll know you're coming back, for a visit at least.
Exactly what I was thinking!!!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 2:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Tazzy
We have said to them that we are going to give it 2 years, and if it doesn't work out we'll come back. But they seem to be wise to that line, and have said, we are only saying it to soften the blow!
I can't win.
Tazzy
Well Tazzy, it looks like there's no pleasing them then!
Just think though, if you don't go, you'll always feel like blaming them for the missed opportunity and your relationship will suffer that way. Perhaps they will chill out in time - hope so - take care Tazzy.
Larissa
Old Oct 27th 2003, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

I'd love to know how you get on with your folks when you tell them.
Bury is only down the road from me (I'm in Radcliffe). Maybe I'll here the reaction from here!
Tazzy

Going back up there in about 3 weeks......watch this space !!
Old Oct 27th 2003, 5:28 am
BE Forum Addict

nosuchluck is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tazzy's in laws

My husband is so lucky to have the parents he has.
We went round to day to break the news of our pending emigration to his side of the family........... and they were bloody marvelous!
His mum had a few tears in her eyes but said if its what we need to do then we should go for it, although she'll miss us, she's not going to try and stop us. His dad totally agreed. WOW!!!

Why can't my family have the same balanced approach instead of the childish insults that have been hurled in our direction over the past few weeks???

I feel so much better now that at least one side of the family supports us.

My mother in law said that my parents will come round in time, just be patient. Well its been 3 weeks now and still no improvement. I know they are hurting because they are "losing" me and my son, so I am trying to be as understanding as possible. I love them to bits and I know that's why they are being so difficult because they love me back.

But don't all mums and dads have the same kind of love for their kids? Of course they do, so why do some parents react so differently than others?
Hi Tazzy
great news about your in laws mate, i know that them being so good is a huge weight off both your minds

your parents will come round hunny, honestly they will and if they don't then it'll be there loss not yours.
i am pleased that you are feeling more positive about everything,
take care
rach
Old Oct 27th 2003, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

noodle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Tazzy

Glad to hear about your in laws, sorry to her about your parents-again!!

You're right, you can't seem to win with them, so what would they prefer? You could get on with it and not talk to them about it and then all of a sudden you're gone, or they could grit their teeth, take an interest into where their daughter and grandson are going and help you along this exciting adventure.

Speaking as a mother, I know what I'd l prefer to do if I were in that situation one day. But my children better not move any more than 1/2 an hour away from me, or I'll kill 'em!! Only joking!

Hope things get better for you lovie!

Noodle.x
Old Oct 27th 2003, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Tazzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Noodle, Larrisa, Rach, Footie chick and everyone else whose contributed to this thread. It does make a difference knowing that there's people out there rooting for us, even when our "nearest and dearest" have given up.

Cheers everyone, have a pint on me.