Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taxing savings when returning to UK?

Taxing savings when returning to UK?

Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:36 am
Just Joined

sparky12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taxing savings when returning to UK?

Hello all

I was wondering whether people returning home to live in the UK from Oz would be taxed in the UK on any savings they bring back with them? I think the answer is no but would appreciate advice please.

Many thanks

Sparky 12
Old Mar 27th 2010, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taxing savings when returning to UK?

Originally Posted by sparky12
I was wondering whether people returning home to live in the UK from Oz would be taxed in the UK on any savings they bring back with them? I think the answer is no but would appreciate advice please.
[sigh] I really do not know why this is such a long-lived myth. Here are the answers for the umpteenth time:

No, you are not taxed in the UK on the savings you bring with you from Oz to UK.

No, you are not taxed in Australia on the savings you bring with you from the UK to Oz.
Old Mar 27th 2010, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozhappy981
[sigh] you bring with you from Oz to UK.

No, you are not taxed in Australia on the savings you bring with you from the UK to Oz.
If it comes over when you do then fine, if you leave it in the UK waiting for the exchange rate to improve then there may be tax implications.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

sparky12 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for your help on this - much appreciated