Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taxation on investments outside Australia

Taxation on investments outside Australia

Old Nov 27th 2011, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

manumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nice
Default Taxation on investments outside Australia

Hi,
I am planning to move to Australia in March 2012, and had some questions regarding my investments in India. I have investments in the stock market, which I have no intention of liquidating right now, as well as an apartment (mortgage free) that I have no intention of selling (for now). How will I be taxed on these when I finally decide to sell them off ? Will the capital gains on my stock investments be calculated based on the price on the day I migrated to Australia, or from the date I made the original investments ? What about the capital gains from sale of property ?

I am assuming that any rental income I receive will be taxed as per my tax bracket in Australia.

Regards
Manumani
Old Nov 28th 2011, 1:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taxation on investments outside Australia

Any capital gains tax will be based on the value of the asset on the day you become resident in Oz.

If you hold on to the asset for a futher 12 months only half the gain will be liable for tax which will be added to your income for the year and taxed accorddingly.

If you leave oz without selling any of theses asset you will still be liable for tax on these assets based on the capital gain you made on them whilst in Oz.

This is a simplified version their are a couple of more complex answers.

Any income generated anywhere in the world is liable for tax in Oz once you become tax resident.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

manumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nicemanumani is just really nice

For stocks it will be easy to show the valuation as of a particular date. How do I show the valuation of my property as of a particular date ?
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manumani
For stocks it will be easy to show the valuation as of a particular date. How do I show the valuation of my property as of a particular date ?
Get it valued?
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manumani
You don't. Why say anything. This is one of those situations that arises from moving to another country. Pay what's due in India if you wish but i can't see these assests have anything to do with the Australian Tax office.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:12 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

only if you tell them
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Obviously, when I sell them, I'll transfer the money back to Australia. And I am not sure I can hide a couple of hundred thousand dollars in my backyard
Old Nov 28th 2011, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Get it valued?
Ok. So I guess I get it valued before I leave India, and then whenever I decide to sell it, pay tax on the difference (less 50% if held more than 12 months)

Originally Posted by papilon
You don't. Why say anything. This is one of those situations that arises from moving to another country. Pay what's due in India if you wish but i can't see these assests have anything to do with the Australian Tax office.
There is no long term capital gains tax on equity investments in India, and I am pretty sure I can remit the proceeds from the sale of property without paying any tax. So best case scenario, I don't pay any tax on my gains in India.