tax year question

Wikiposts

tax year question

Old May 17th 2004, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

helenmaine is an unknown quantity at this point
Default tax year question

hi,

we are arriving in oz on May 30th and hubby starts work June 1st (plenty of time to get sorted

I was wondering how the tax works on this. Am I right in thinking that the oz tax year starts July 1st? If so, will we have to declare any income from that was earned outside oz for the previous tax year (in the US in our case) ? I remember reading somewhere here that for tax purposes it all starts when you arrrive as a PR. Any clarification would be appreciated though.....

helenmaine (soon to be helenmelbourne)!
Old May 17th 2004, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: tax year question

Originally posted by helenmaine
hi,

we are arriving in oz on May 30th and hubby starts work June 1st (plenty of time to get sorted

I was wondering how the tax works on this. Am I right in thinking that the oz tax year starts July 1st? If so, will we have to declare any income from that was earned outside oz for the previous tax year (in the US in our case) ? I remember reading somewhere here that for tax purposes it all starts when you arrrive as a PR. Any clarification would be appreciated though.....

helenmaine (soon to be helenmelbourne)!
Helen

I'm not too sure but ABCD, Jeremy, Alan et al will jump in soon and offer good advice. I presume you haven't found any joy by looking at the ATO website? Have you already applied for a tax file number? See:

http://www.ato.gov.au/

Good luck with the move which is getting very close now!

Strictly speaking, if it was HelenMaine it will be HelenVictoria won't it?

OzTennis
Old May 17th 2004, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Thanks OT.

We looked into applying for a TFN, but it is not possible to do this online until you have arrived in the country. We have the paper forms, but for these you need to supply actual physical proof of ID, so either way we need to wait until we actually get there.

I will have another look at the ATO website - this stuff is often gobbledegook to me though

And yes - Helenvictoria is the logical change... Not sure how I do change my user name though - any ideas??

Originally posted by OzTennis
Helen

I'm not too sure but ABCD, Jeremy, Alan et al will jump in soon and offer good advice. I presume you haven't found any joy by looking at the ATO website? Have you already applied for a tax file number? See:

http://www.ato.gov.au/

Good luck with the move which is getting very close now!

Strictly speaking, if it was HelenMaine it will be HelenVictoria won't it?

OzTennis
Old May 17th 2004, 1:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how I do change my user name though - any ideas??
He may say no, but try pm-ing ptlabs and asking him very nicely.....
Old May 17th 2004, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollyana
He may say no, but try pm-ing ptlabs and asking him very nicely.....
Yep, 'way to go'. PTLabs changed mine when someone stole my identity. TennisOz became OzTennis with a different password via this route.

OzTennis
Old May 17th 2004, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Just bumping this
Old May 17th 2004, 11:56 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by OzTennis
I'm not too sure but ABCD, Jeremy, Alan et al will jump in soon and offer good advice.

Helen

Only the income you earn - from the date you arrive as PR - will we relevant to the ATO.

Therefore your first year will be May30th to June 30th and you will be allowed 1/12 of the annual tax free income allowance to be offset against your income.

Old May 17th 2004, 12:02 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond

Helen

Only the income you earn - from the date you arrive as PR - will we relevant to the ATO.

Therefore your first year will be May30th to June 30th and you will be allowed 1/12 of the annual tax free income allowance to be offset against your income.
I concur with ABC. Your tax free allowances will also be pro rataed to match the amount of time you are in Oz.
Old May 17th 2004, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

Default thanks all

Thanks for that ABCD & BondiPom - very helpful.

One less thing to worry about