Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax Time...again

Tax Time...again

Old Jul 16th 2007, 5:14 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice
Default Tax Time...again

Firstly, can anyone recommend a tax accountant southside or bayside Brisbane? I used H&R Block last year and the agent didn't seem to know all the secrets I got to hear, AFTER submitting!

Does anyone have any hints and tips on what to claim this time round? Have you done your claim yet, were you able to claim anything you can share with folks on here?

Cheers for any tips/help etc.......
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:22 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Time...again

Originally Posted by Plug
Firstly, can anyone recommend a tax accountant southside or bayside Brisbane? I used H&R Block last year and the agent didn't seem to know all the secrets I got to hear, AFTER submitting!

Does anyone have any hints and tips on what to claim this time round? Have you done your claim yet, were you able to claim anything you can share with folks on here?

Cheers for any tips/help etc.......

Interested in this one too...our first tax time.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:30 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I do mine and hubbys tax returns online...it is very straightforward and I also find that the ato info line is superb...they tell you everything that you can claim for. If you think you may be eligible for something just ask them....you may not be eligible for that specific thing, but they may think of something else that you are able to claim
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:32 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

I've just done mine online...fr the third time ...very simple.
Gives you an indication of what you'll get back too - and this was confirmed in writing today

Now I can go shopping
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:33 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by biggy
I do mine and hubbys tax returns online...it is very straightforward and I also find that the ato info line is superb...they tell you everything that you can claim for. If you think you may be eligible for something just ask them....you may not be eligible for that specific thing, but they may think of something else that you are able to claim
When do you have to file your tax return by?

This will be our first as well. Sucks though, we arrived around May 1st and my husband only started working on June 12th.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:35 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

This will be our first as well. Sucks though, we arrived around May 1st and my husband only started working on June 12th.
31st October, if I rember correctly.

You have to do it ...it will be based on the 12 month period. Has he had his tax summary yet from his employer?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I'm half way through doing mine online, but I'm stuck on declaring overseas income from interest on savings. I think I'm going to be upfront & honest and declare it, but how am I supposed to know how much interest I earned between 15th April and 30th June? Do I really have to write a letter to my administratively useless bank?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weirdstone
Gives you an indication of what you'll get back too - and this was confirmed in writing today

Now I can go shopping
Mine was a revelation this year, for the first time I didn't get a huge bill, I got a refund of a whole $45. I can't be the only person that doesn't get a windfall, surely, but everyone else seems to be able to do a spending spree with their refunds.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Now I can go shopping

I've just worked ours out (getting someone in though just to check), and we have $12k to come back (that includes family tax benefit etc)

That should pay us back for the first 5 months of no income.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Mine was a revelation this year, for the first time I didn't get a huge bill, I got a refund of a whole $45. I can't be the only person that doesn't get a windfall, surely, but everyone else seems to be able to do a spending spree with their refunds.

Your employers must be really good at working out what to take off you every pay day. Tell them to take an extra $20 per week, then you can claim it back.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:30 am
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

You have to do it ...it will be based on the 12 month period. Has he had his tax summary yet from his employer?
I believe he did get a tax summary. So we should be good to go. Our only problem is how to declare our earnings from Canada since we only have monthly pay slips to use.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:43 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy
I've just worked ours out (getting someone in though just to check), and we have $12k to come back (that includes family tax benefit etc)

That should pay us back for the first 5 months of no income.
Care to share how on earth you managed that one. I could certainly do with something like that.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Stitch
Care to share how on earth you managed that one. I could certainly do with something like that.

Cheers

Ginny

We've earned less than 40k since we got here last July so we are entitled to the full amount of family tax benefit. Also we can claim for the courses etc that OH had to do when we landed.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:06 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555

You are only subject to Australian tax from the date you become a tax resident of Australia ... unless you have Australian source income beforehand.

Best regards.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:07 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

31st October ... unless you engage a tax agent. Tax agents can access extended filing deadlines for their personal tax clients.

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.