Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax for teachers

Tax for teachers

Old May 12th 2005, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

LindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the roughLindyLoo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tax for teachers

Originally Posted by samnrob2
Sorry - it's been an emotional day!! Still not quite with it - but I appreciate your post.

From reading it, it implies that you are on $1575 after tax per fortnight? Is that right? If so, what band and step are you on? Sorry to keep asking questions!

Also, when you say you have your experience considered? how much experience? If it's 20 years of being a head then I have no chance of getting up to that sort of level!!

Sam
Sorry thought I had been clear.

In Queensland you should have been paid (after tax and super) a minimum of $1045 or maximum of $1575 per fortnight. So you are definitely under paid. Get onto pay roll.

Top of the scale is 10 years teaching experience. Exactly what I have.
Old May 12th 2005, 8:58 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Muzza04
Correct. But, I think they still give the whole whack even after filling out the dates on the tax return.
I just checked that on the 2004 electronic tax return, and by entering a date as becoming tax resident half way through the tax year, it does make a difference to the tax payable.

I was beginning to wonder if they had overlooked an error on the program.

Old May 12th 2005, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I just checked that on the 2004 electronic tax return, and by entering a date as becoming tax resident half way through the tax year, it does make a difference to the tax payable.

I was beginning to wonder if they had overlooked an error on the program.

maybe the the bods miss a page with the posted hard copy and read the bottom line only
Old May 12th 2005, 9:08 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Muzza04
maybe the the bods miss a page with the posted hard copy and read the bottom line only
It's possible
We used an agent once, and they keyed things in wrong, and gave us about a $1,000 extra refund. I had to redo it correctly, to ensure no interest when they check it and claim it back with interest !

But if the ATO make the mistake, then they can't do much about it

Old May 12th 2005, 9:45 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the replies everyone - just came as a bit of a shock.

I don't think my TFN went through in time so it's just a bit of hassle getting the tax office to back date / rebate me at a later stage.

I also did over react a little - it wasn't £13 per day!!! My mathmatics went a little haywire!!

Had a level-headed look at the scale and everything else, and all of a sudden it doesn't seem all that bad. Just so long as my TFN gets logged!

Thanks all!

Sam