Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax on Superannuation Oz to UK

Tax on Superannuation Oz to UK

Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

goslar1961 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax on Superannuation Oz to UK

Hi, Just out of interest, both my wife & I are in our 60's. I'm retired and my wife will retire in 2 to 3 years time. Both superannuation accounts are in Oz. If we returned to the UK (permanently) what % of our superannuation balances would we have to pay on leaving Oz? Thanks
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax on Superannuation Oz to UK

Originally Posted by goslar1961
Hi, Just out of interest, both my wife & I are in our 60's. I'm retired and my wife will retire in 2 to 3 years time. Both superannuation accounts are in Oz. If we returned to the UK (permanently) what % of our superannuation balances would we have to pay on leaving Oz? Thanks
Wouldn't you just be taking it as an income? In which case you would pay income tax at whatever tax band you fall into.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Withdrawals from super are tax-free in Australia (assuming you're retired, of course).

However, the UK will want to tax this as income. You will have the UK personal allowance so depending on how much you receive from your super it may also be tax-free.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bermudashorts & NickyC, Thank you both for your replies. If withdrawals from s'annuation are tax free in Oz, why aren't they in the UK? (What scenario I am thinking is if both my wife & l returned to the UK, the s'annuation balances would be transferred as lump sums into an UK s'annuation fund)
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bermudashorts & NickyC, Thank you both for your replies. If withdrawals from s'annuation are tax free in Oz, why aren't they in the UK? (What scenario I am thinking is if both my wife & l returned to the UK, the s'annuation balances would be transferred as lump sums into an UK s'annuation fund)
Because UK and Australia have different tax systems.

If the withdrawal is tax free in Australia, the simple solution appears to be to make the withdrawal whilst you are still in Australia?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:51 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously?

Just leave it in Australia
Old Apr 26th 2016, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Seriously?

Just leave it in Australia
I would agree that moving a pension pot from Australia into a pension pot in UK, whilst aged in 60s, is not making a lot of sense.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:07 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I would agree that moving a pension pot from Australia into a pension pot in UK, whilst aged in 60s, is not making a lot of sense.
Exactly. You could understand it if your pension was in an unstable country but not Australia
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Because UK and Australia have different tax systems.

If the withdrawal is tax free in Australia, the simple solution appears to be to make the withdrawal whilst you are still in Australia?
UK pension/annuity law has changed. Assuming you can transfer your Oz fund to the UK - as a super fund, then it becomes liable under UK tax law if you are resident. you can take 25% of your fund tax free and now you can also take the rest of it if 55 or over BUT you get taxed! i.e if your fund is £100,000 , you can take £25,000 tax free. If you take any of the balance out you'll be taxed on it.either at 20% or 40% depending on your total income. There are lots of scams going on in the UK trying to persuade people to cash in their super funds and then they get stung with a massive tax bill. As you say you are already retired I presume you are drawing a pension based on your fund? If so, just leave it and get the money transferred to your UK bank.
In UK if you use your fund to purchase an annuity - a regular payment - then you in effect hand over the fund to the annuity company and it :disappears".Both my super funds were "given" to my annuity provider in return for a regular monthly payment.
you would need to talk to a UK tax lawyer to determine the best way forward for both of you.

If you are just talking about moving the funds to the UK WITHOUT taking an income then any interest on it will be taxed , if it's above £1000 per annum.
whether OZ will charge you for withdrawing your funds is down to your fund holder and the law - why not chat to them and ask them?
Old Apr 26th 2016, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi Amazulu, Bermudashorts & Quiltman, Thanks again for your replies. I had heard that UK pension laws had changed and thought I would see how s'annuation funds were affected. Nothing is ever easy when it comes to money and taxes!
Old Apr 27th 2016, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

While on pension changes. If living overseas you could make pay several years uk nhs contributions to make up for missed years overseas. Is that option still available?
Old Apr 27th 2016, 10:48 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

My take is that if you withdrew all the super as cash before you moved, the UK tax system wouldn't enter into it, and on moving you would just be transferring your funds there, exactly as the rest of your money.
Old Apr 28th 2016, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi jad n rich & Wol, Thanks for your comments. My questioning about s'annuation transfers was that I had heard of people moving back to UK and the Oz govt taking a slice of the s'annuation as a tax. My wife worked for the NHS before living in Oz. She turned 60 a couple of years ago and the NHS wrote to her advising she was now entitled to her NHS pension. I understand that it is index linked
Old Apr 28th 2016, 2:36 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi jad n rich & Wol, Thanks for your comments. My questioning about s'annuation transfers was that I had heard of people moving back to UK and the Oz govt taking a slice of the s'annuation as a tax. My wife worked for the NHS before living in Oz. She turned 60 a couple of years ago and the NHS wrote to her advising she was now entitled to her NHS pension. I understand that it is index linked

Isn't that when they move back following completion of a 457 visa and obtain a payout of their superannuation?

If you are a permanent resident/citizen, then the regulations won't allow any payouts until you reach preservation age, at which point you can either take the lump sum, or invest into a payment stream.

As Wol says, my understanding is that taking the lump sum will mean no further taxation, whereas taking an income stream will require tax to be paid to HMRC

S
Old Apr 28th 2016, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Isn't that when they move back following completion of a 457 visa and obtain a payout of their superannuation?

If you are a permanent resident/citizen, then the regulations won't allow any payouts until you reach preservation age, at which point you can either take the lump sum, or invest into a payment stream.

As Wol says, my understanding is that taking the lump sum will mean no further taxation, whereas taking an income stream will require tax to be paid to HMRC

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.