Reload this Page >

Tax Return Question.

Tax Return Question.

Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:34 am
Just Joined

jasoncathy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Return Question.

Hi,

I am after advice surrounding estimated tax returns. I am currently operating under a 457 visa and have been in Australia since Nov 2012. I am hearing conflicting stories regarding the amount of tax I may be due back, therefore can anyone answer them.
I am married with 1 child, and I am the sole earner, do I qualify for any tax relief?
As I have worked for only 8 months of the tax year do I qualify for any tax relief.
I have earned 52K this tax year and paid 12.5k tax.
Any advice would be greatly received.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Fardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the roughFardell is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tax Return Question.

I think you will shortly get some expert help, but in the meantime I would suggest you look at using the tax calculator provided by the ATO. It is different from most calculators in that it takes into account the situation where you work a part tax year - 8 months in your case - and prorates the tax free allowance.

http://calculators.ato.gov.au/script...putDetails.asp

You seem to be being taxed at the right rate for a person earning $81K per annum, but in this year you should get a tax refund of a couple of thousand dollars - perhaps more depending on what other tax offsets may be available to you. Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to have your first Australian tax return done by a tax agent - the cost shouldn't be too high if you simply have employment income.
Old Jun 17th 2013, 11:47 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jason.

Do you expect to receive any further income before the end of June? If so, how much?

If you can advise your expected gross Australian source income I can identify the Aus tax payable on that income. Compare this with the tax you have already paid under PAYG = the tax repayment you can reasonably anticipate.

The tax repayment might be higher if you can reasonably claim tax deductions to reduce your taxable income ...

Best regards.
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Madlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to allMadlightning is a name known to all

Hi Jason,

I believe you will get a considerable refund on your taxes this year. The reason being you were taxed on the assumption of you making 81K per year but since you have only earned only 52K the tax slabs will be different. It probably would be a good idea to use a tax accountant this first year. Hope it helps!
Old Jun 18th 2013, 11:15 am
Just Joined

jasoncathy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Hi Jason.

Do you expect to receive any further income before the end of June? If so, how much?

If you can advise your expected gross Australian source income I can identify the Aus tax payable on that income. Compare this with the tax you have already paid under PAYG = the tax repayment you can reasonably anticipate.

The tax repayment might be higher if you can reasonably claim tax deductions to reduce your taxable income ...

Best regards.
No further income to come in before end of June. My final wage slip indicates the following.
Taxable: $52,654.46
Gross Pay: $52,654.46
Tax Withheld: $12,416.00
Net Pay: $40,238.46
Old Jun 18th 2013, 12:43 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Ball park tax repayment: $2,600.

Let me know (send an email to me by clicking on my name - please confirm your name in the email) if you'd like to know our fee for preparing and e-lodging your 2013 Australian tax return.

Best regards.