Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax return question???

Tax return question???

Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:37 am
Just Joined

greeno is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax return question???

I have just completed a full years work and am wondering how much tax i wil get back when i lodge my return.As iv paid nearly $11000. Can any1 help??
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:59 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax return question???

Originally Posted by greeno
I have just completed a full years work and am wondering how much tax i wil get back when i lodge my return.As iv paid nearly $11000. Can any1 help??
Hi and welcome to the forums.

Aus tax is a little more complex than UK (unless you are used to doing tax returns in the UK).
But of if you are effectively and employee on PAYE, have worked a full 12 months and don't have any deductions - travel, tools, life insurances etc. There are too many potential deductions to list here, its unlikely you will get very much back if anything.

Sorry, but thats how it is - a bit like UK really.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 12:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by greeno
If this is your first year here, I would suggest using a tax accountant, then 'maybe' next year you can do it yourself via e-tax. This allows you to see what claimable items are allowable to you in your occupation.

There are too many variables to give you even an approximate answer to that question, as we have many possible deductions here.

ie:
Did you do any travelling for work, driving to the bank etc. ?
Do you work outside and need to buy sunscreen and sunglasses ?
Do you need to use your computer at work ?
Do you have school children, and do they use a computer at home ?

Did you work every week of the year ?
Do you have private health insurance ?

All these, plus many more, could change the figure of tax due.

Old Jun 27th 2009, 12:58 am
ABCDiamond

Some general info:

Average Tax Refunds in Australia
In 2006-07, 80% of Australia Tax payers received a refund of tax at the end of the year. The average refund was $1,998. The number of tax refunds given was 9.9 million, out of the 11.8 million taxpayers.

The expected average refund for 2008-09 has recently been quoted as $2,351, although about half of all taxpayers expect to get back under $1,000.

More than half of all Australians use a Tax Agent to prepare their tax returns.