Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax Return Advice

Tax Return Advice

Old Jan 9th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice
Default Tax Return Advice

Sorry to be a pain,

OH is changing jobs next week and this will entail buying own overalls and me (MUG) washing them. Have been told that such things can be claimed back at the end of the tax year? How would I claim the cost of washing such bits and bobs and come to think of it are there more receipts it would be prudent to keep until the end of the year for submission?

Any help really appreciated.

Carol
Old Jan 9th 2008, 8:33 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax Return Advice

Originally Posted by cartel
Sorry to be a pain,

OH is changing jobs next week and this will entail buying own overalls and me (MUG) washing them. Have been told that such things can be claimed back at the end of the tax year? How would I claim the cost of washing such bits and bobs and come to think of it are there more receipts it would be prudent to keep until the end of the year for submission?

Any help really appreciated.

Carol
My accountant put down $70 on my return for the cost of washing my uniform (I wear a t-shirt with a logo most Fridays and very rarely go to site in company shirt and jeans). No idea where she got that figure from!

I would keep all receipts you think may just be claimable - let your accountant decide.

I think under $200 per item there is no need for receipts.

I let an accountant have a go last year but now I know what to do will do it myself next year, but then I am employed, no rental properties and nothing else complicated.

Last edited by worzel; Jan 9th 2008 at 8:38 am.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Originally Posted by worzel
My accountant put down $70 on my return for the cost of washing my uniform (I wear a t-shirt with a logo most Fridays and very rarely go to site in company shirt and jeans). No idea where she got that figure from!

I would keep all receipts you think may just be claimable - let your accountant decide.

I think under $200 per item there is no need for receipts.

I let an accountant have a go last year but now I know what to do will do it myself next year, but then I am employed, no rental properties and nothing else complicated.
Thanks Worzel,

It's all very different over here but I don't want to throw away receipts that could be used at the end of the tax year. More than happy to pay for work gear/washing, but if we can get a tax break on it, I am more than happy to put in the relevant receipts as well!!!

Carol
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:41 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Worzel,

It's all very different over here but I don't want to throw away receipts that could be used at the end of the tax year. More than happy to pay for work gear/washing, but if we can get a tax break on it, I am more than happy to put in the relevant receipts as well!!!

Carol
I found it different in only minor ways, the principles are mostly the same. The one that disappointed me was than in the UK as a contractor I could claim home as "the office" for up to two years on any contract and claim for commuting but couldn't do that here.
Old Jan 9th 2008, 9:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks again Worzel.

I'll keep everything and declare it all to the accountant at the end of the year.

Carol
Old Jan 9th 2008, 10:35 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Worzel,

Carol

If I were you, I would keep everything. I let an accountant do my return this year, and I was utterly gobsmacked by some of the stuff he was claiming on my behalf.

S
Old Jan 9th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
If I were you, I would keep everything. I let an accountant do my return this year, and I was utterly gobsmacked by some of the stuff he was claiming on my behalf.

S
Thanks swerv,

I'm beginning to think that's the way to go. I'll keep you posted

carol