Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

tax reference number

tax reference number

Old Jun 29th 2006, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice
Default tax reference number

to all those who would like to apply for there tax reference number this side of the uk http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downlo...cationform.pdf
apologies for anyone who has already put this on, just thought i would like to share this with you all.

cheers
louise
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of
Default Re: tax reference number

Originally Posted by loopyloo2
to all those who would like to apply for there tax reference number this side of the uk http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downlo...cationform.pdf
apologies for anyone who has already put this on, just thought i would like to share this with you all.

cheers
louise
Hi,I dont think you can get tax file number while still in uk,thats what I was told,not sure,cheers Dave
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

loopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really niceloopyloo2 is just really nice

i suppose you could download them and fill them out ready, probably save a little time when you get there. i didnt realise but you also have to fill one out for the kids as well, or have i read it wrong?.

cheers
loopy

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi,I dont think you can get tax file number while still in uk,thats what I was told,not sure,cheers Dave
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

weeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud ofweeman111 has much to be proud of

i suppose you could download them and fill them out ready, probably save a little time when you get there. i didnt realise but you also have to fill one out for the kids as well, or have i read it wrong?.

cheers
loopy
Hi,I only had a look for my wife as I have a tax no that I got when I was in oz on a working holiday 10 years ago so I dont have to get a new one,I dont think it takes too long when you apply,cheers Dave
Old Jun 29th 2006, 8:45 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,I only had a look for my wife as I have a tax no that I got when I was in oz on a working holiday 10 years ago so I dont have to get a new one,I dont think it takes too long when you apply,cheers Dave
You need a "date of arrival" (cannot be future dated) and a Oz address for the number to be sent out to. It takes about 10 to 15 working days - do it as soon as you arrive online.

Kiwi
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:38 pm
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

In the information about tax file numbers, at the beggining of the form it says:

'WHO SHOULD NOT COMPLETE THIS APPLICATION'

Do not use this form if you are a:

*permanent migrant or a temporary visitor to Australia and have a visa to work or remain in Australia indefinitely. You can apply for a TFN online at www.ato.gov.au

also

'As a permanent migrant or temporary visitor, you do not need to physically provide proof of identity documents if you apply online' (does this mean you 'can' apply online before you get there, or does it mean when you are in Oz?)

Last edited by Tiawamutu; Jun 29th 2006 at 9:52 pm.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Izzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to beholdIzzy is a splendid one to behold

Doing it online is much quicker. They over-ride all other applications. The lady in the office told me, that often if you call them once you have completed app, they can give you the number there and then. Not sure how true this is.

You definitely have to be in Oz to apply though. Their system (like medicare) has a way of knowing if you are actually in the country by checking your visa details.

All libraries have internet access, so it is not a problem.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 9:55 pm

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzy
Doing it online is much quicker. They over-ride all other applications. The lady in the office told me, that often if you call them once you have completed app, they can give you the number there and then. Not sure how true this is.

You definitely have to be in Oz to apply though. Their system (like medicare) has a way of knowing if you are actually in the country by checking your visa details.

All libraries have internet access, so it is not a problem.
Great

I already have the medicare forms printed out in preparation for when we get there.
Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:26 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

cheers
loopy
You don't normally get one for kids unless they are earning enough to be taxed.

Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:28 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
Great

I already have the medicare forms printed out in preparation for when we get there.
It takes about a week for Medicare to get your information from immigration so there's no advantage to preparing the forms in the UK.

Old Jun 29th 2006, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
It takes about a week for Medicare to get your information from immigration so there's no advantage to preparing the forms in the UK.

It's one less thing to think about, anyway
Old Jun 30th 2006, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

I had a TFN from a Working hol 12 years ago...but haven't a clue what it is.

So these old TFNs can still be used?

Do u know how I can find it out? Is it a quick phone call?

Thanks
TC
Old Jun 30th 2006, 8:42 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Izzy
Yes it's true. We applied for our tax file numbers online 2 days ago but my husband has some casual work lined up for tomorrow. He called the ATO this afternoon to tell them and he was given his number over the phone
Old Jun 30th 2006, 9:19 am
Andy and Wendy

Baphomet is a jewel in the roughBaphomet is a jewel in the roughBaphomet is a jewel in the roughBaphomet is a jewel in the rough

Just a quick question about the TFN....we will be in Townsville from the 27th of August onwards. We will be staying in a backpackers hostel until we find somewhere to rent. When filling in the application form for the TFN (either online or paper) can we use a PO box number or do we have to use a residential address?? If a residential address is needed can we use the address of the hostel we are staying at?

Thanks
Andy
Old Jun 30th 2006, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
I had a TFN from a Working hol 12 years ago...but haven't a clue what it is.

So these old TFNs can still be used?

Do u know how I can find it out? Is it a quick phone call?

Thanks
TC
Hi,I think if you call or write to them,give your details,address in oz you had then I think they can track it from there,I thought I would need a new one but they are for life so they told me,I think I emailed them,got a contact on their website,cheers Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.