Tax Rebate

Old Mar 13th 2005, 5:27 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Rebate

Once my house sale was agreed I wrote to the IR in October informing them I was leaving and the date I would be going from and asking whether I needed to fill in any forms.

Looked on the website and the form to inform them that you are leaving is at http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/nonr...s/fagp85.shtml

I sent this off a few days before leaving the UK in November having still heard nothing from the initial enquiry. I had still heard nothing by January so wrote to them and end of February received a nice rebate.

I left my UK account open for them to pay into, just for info the Nationwide don't make charges for foreign withdrawls via cashpoints (just on the exchnage rate) and are happy to keep the account open despite me no longer being a UK resident. I get all my statements etc sent to my address in Aus and remember most Aussie banks won't give you a credit card or overdraft when you get here so having a fully functional UK bank account can be helpful
Old Mar 14th 2005, 2:45 pm
Banned

jumbo will become famous soon enoughjumbo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
Took me about four months; they claimed they had not received the original forms so I sent copies - then the rebate went through in a matter of days so I am sure they HAD the originals and were working on them!

My pension fund actually refunded the whole of the UK tax I had paid during this tax year - nice but I am sure I will have to repay that portion which applied while I was still in the UK....

Has anyone been asked to complete a tax return for the tax year in which they left the UK?

Cheers
Old Mar 14th 2005, 3:16 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deba34
Hi guys,

I wonder if any of you can help.
We applied for a tax rebate on PAYE system, we are sure we are due quite a bit back from the Inland Revenue, we sent it in over three weeks ago and we are leaving for Oz in four weeks time.
We were wondering whether they will have it sorted before we go?
Anyone else experiencing this problem, as yet, we haven't informed them we are emigrating in case they dragged it out further.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Debbie

Just a quick query. Presumably you can only claim once you have your P45s? Also whilst not knowing how much anyone earns, Should I assume that if you are claiming back this close to the end of the financial year, the amount won't be huge?
Old Mar 14th 2005, 7:44 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Just a quick query. Presumably you can only claim once you have your P45s? Also whilst not knowing how much anyone earns, Should I assume that if you are claiming back this close to the end of the financial year, the amount won't be huge?
Yes and yes.
Biggest rebate would come if you had worked half the tax year.