Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax question - if only wife & kids move to Oz and husband continue working overseas..

Tax question - if only wife & kids move to Oz and husband continue working overseas..

Old Sep 2nd 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

tags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax question - if only wife & kids move to Oz and husband continue working overseas..

I've searched the forum and also tried to get information from the ATO website, but couldn't find an answer to this specific situation.

We have been granted a PR visa (off-shore). We have not validated the visa yet. My question is, what would be the tax implications if my husband was to remain working overseas in a tax-free country for a while, and just myself and the kids to move over to Australia initially to set up: would he be considered a "non-resident for tax purposes"? Would he be exempt from paying taxes on his income earned overseas, although myself and the kids will be residents in Australia?

If anybody has the answer to this, it would be great. Thanks!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 11:11 am
Reg. Migration Agent

Les Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to beholdLes Mighalls is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tax question - if only wife & kids move to Oz and husband continue working overse

Try emailing Alan Collett of Go Matilda. He's a Chartered Accountant as well, and will be the best person to give you tax advice.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 8:40 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Tax question - if only wife & kids move to Oz and husband continue working overse

Originally Posted by tags
I've searched the forum and also tried to get information from the ATO website, but couldn't find an answer to this specific situation.

We have been granted a PR visa (off-shore). We have not validated the visa yet. My question is, what would be the tax implications if my husband was to remain working overseas in a tax-free country for a while, and just myself and the kids to move over to Australia initially to set up: would he be considered a "non-resident for tax purposes"? Would he be exempt from paying taxes on his income earned overseas, although myself and the kids will be residents in Australia?

If your husband does not live in Australia, and does not earn the income in Australia, he won't be liable for tax in Australia. He wouldn't just be a "non-resident for tax purposes", he'd be a non-resident full stop.

By the way, if your husband is the primary visa applicant, he will have to enter Australia before you do (you must be behind him in the immigration queue, even by one person!), although there is nothing to stop him having a brief holiday there and then leaving while you guys stay on. This wouldn't affect what I have said about tax above.

BB

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Sep 3rd 2010 at 8:42 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax question - if only wife & kids move to Oz and husband continue working overse

Originally Posted by tags

We're in the same situation. No tax to be paid as he is non-resident...
Old Sep 4th 2010, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

tags is an unknown quantity at this point

Great, thanks for all your help!