Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax and national insurance

Tax and national insurance

Old Jan 9th 2005, 6:23 pm
arrive QLD 10th June

sonic3829 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax and national insurance

Can anybody explain the tax and national insurance system in australia. Have been on the Tax web site and have found the tax rates and medi-care levy rates but have found no mention of national insurance or any thing similar.
Does that mean there's no NI down under.
Old Jan 9th 2005, 8:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax and national insurance

Originally Posted by sonic3829
Can anybody explain the tax and national insurance system in australia. Have been on the Tax web site and have found the tax rates and medi-care levy rates but have found no mention of national insurance or any thing similar.

Not for employees. Employers have to pay state payroll taxes.

Jeremy
Old Jan 10th 2005, 12:37 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sonic3829
The 1.5% Medicare levy (with 1% surcharge for higher earners) is the closest comparison to National Insurance.

If you add UK Tax and NI together, and add Australian Tax and Medicare together, the results each pay for similar services.

Old Jan 10th 2005, 2:52 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

not forgetting that NI pays for state pension in the uk, and here there's a superannuation contribution of a minimum of 9% of salary (i think).

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
The 1.5% Medicare levy (with 1% surcharge for higher earners) is the closest comparison to National Insurance.

If you add UK Tax and NI together, and add Australian Tax and Medicare together, the results each pay for similar services.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 3:04 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by brisnick
not forgetting that NI pays for state pension in the uk, and here there's a superannuation contribution of a minimum of 9% of salary (i think).
An interesting area
The Australian Aged pension, like the UK one, is paid for out of Tax and Medicare, and is not dependant on the 9% contribution.
Those entitled to it will get it even if they have never paid the 9%.

However, there is an Income and Asset test to the State pension, so that those who are considered well off, will not be much of a burden on the Taxpayer when they retire.
http://www.centrelink.gov.au/interne...ge_pension.htm

This Employers superannuation contribution came into effect in the early 1990's, as a way to force a situation where people would be better off in their old age, and Employers were forced to pay for it !!

Old Jan 10th 2005, 4:05 am
ABCDiamond

This thread got me wondering how much the Age Pensions actually are.

The Australian one is currently $244 per week. But only available to those whose other income is under the Income Test.

The basic UK pension is up to £79.60, (depending on previous contributions) but increased by S2P or SERPS. And this is available to everyone regardless of other income.

However, I also saw this: Retirement pension (non-contributory) £47.65 per week.

I'm not sure, but i assume if someone hasn't made any NI contributions, then that's all they get.

I wonder how much I will get from the UK pension when I retire

Old Jan 10th 2005, 7:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Jimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant futureJimbo9 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This thread got me wondering how much the Age Pensions actually are.

The Australian one is currently $244 per week. But only available to those whose other income is under the Income Test.

The basic UK pension is up to £79.60, (depending on previous contributions) but increased by S2P or SERPS. And this is available to everyone regardless of other income.

However, I also saw this: Retirement pension (non-contributory) £47.65 per week.

I'm not sure, but i assume if someone hasn't made any NI contributions, then that's all they get.

I wonder how much I will get from the UK pension when I retire

You can get a forecast of your UK state pension (basic and any second pension) from http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/index.htm

As things stand, the UK state pension you receive will frozen at the amount it is when you first receive it if you live in OZ

Jim
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Jimbo9
You can get a forecast of your UK state pension (basic and any second pension) from http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/cnr/index.htm

As things stand, the UK state pension you receive will frozen at the amount it is when you first receive it if you live in OZ

Jim
Which is an absolute scandal. My parents are part of a pressure group taking the UK Govt to court over this but they wriggle out of it everytime. If you retire to any other country than a Commonwealth one your pension increases each year. If you retire to Oz, NZ, Canada etc it freezes and it has left many people very badly off even though they spent a lifetime paying into National Insurance.
Sorry, get off my soap box now!
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:24 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by brisnick
Hello,

You don't have to worry about the 9%. This is the employer's contribution and is equivalent to the 12.8% (on income over the tax free limit) that UK employers pay. This 9% should not come out of your salary, just like the 12.8% doesn't come out of your salary in the UK.

Fortunately, in Oz, the 9% goes into your superfund (pension) whereas in the UK it goes into the general pot.

Regards
Alistair
PS: I have a tax calculator spreadsheet that compares UK and Oz tax (and NI and Medicare). I'll just go and dig it out.
Old Jan 10th 2005, 8:56 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Hello,

here is the tax comparator I mentioned. It compares a straight-forward PAYE(UK) with a straight-forward PAYG(Oz). If you move away from the straight-forward (e.g. self employed) then the 2 systems become difficult to compare.

You can put your own UK salary into column A if you want. The exchange rate used is 2.5. You can change this on the "rates" tab if you want.

If you are married and your spouse is not working then you will need to change rates->A12 to be 100,000 or a little bit more if you have kids.

I'm not sure the calculator is correct around the area of low Oz wages as there are lots of potential tax offsets that can be claimed.

Regards
Alistair
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Compare UK Oz Tax.zip (7.6 KB, 48 views)