Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax implications working for the same company from home in Oz?

Tax implications working for the same company from home in Oz?

Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Tax implications working for the same company from home in Oz?

It's looking increasingly likely my wife may be able to continue her current software development job and work from home in Australia when we (hopefully) move end of this year. We are wondering what are the tax implications of this? Will she pay tax both at home in Ireland and in Oz or pay tax in only 1 country?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tax implications working for the same company from home in Oz?

Originally Posted by gidxg03
It's looking increasingly likely my wife may be able to continue her current software development job and work from home in Australia when we (hopefully) move end of this year. We are wondering what are the tax implications of this? Will she pay tax both at home in Ireland and in Oz or pay tax in only 1 country?
Anyone?
Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:40 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gidxg03
If she's an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or married to one) and living in Australia then she pays Australian tax on worldwide income.

Any Irish tax also payable might be allowed as an offset against Australian tax. Start at http://www.ato.gov.au and look for information on double tax treaties.

She ought to take professional advice on the best way to structure her business (eg incorporation etc).

PS is it really necessary to "bump" a post after only a few hours?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

I work from home as a freelancer for UK companies and I pay all my tax here. I trade under a business name so have an ABN.

TBH it never occured to me I might be liable for tax in the UK, not sure why I would if I'm paying it here?
Old Feb 17th 2007, 2:38 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
I work from home as a freelancer for UK companies and I pay all my tax here. I trade under a business name so have an ABN.

TBH it never occured to me I might be liable for tax in the UK, not sure why I would if I'm paying it here?
If you are non-UK resident you may still be liable for UK tax on "UK-sourced" income. How this is defined can become complex. Get some professional advice.

Remember you still have your personal allowance and lower tax bands to use, so any UK tax due will almost certainly be less than the Australian tax due. Check the Double Tax Agreement as you should be able to offset it against your Australian tax bill.
Old Feb 17th 2007, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If she's an Australian citizen or permanent resident (or married to one) and living in Australia then she pays Australian tax on worldwide income.

Any Irish tax also payable might be allowed as an offset against Australian tax. Start at http://www.ato.gov.au and look for information on double tax treaties.

She ought to take professional advice on the best way to structure her business (eg incorporation etc).

PS is it really necessary to "bump" a post after only a few hours?
Look into the tax implications of claiming the costs of electricity, percentage of rent/mortgage interest etc if you work from home.....there used to be capital tax implications if you sold that home...the ATO website should have all relevant info.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:14 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you are non-UK resident you may still be liable for UK tax on "UK-sourced" income. How this is defined can become complex. Get some professional advice.

Remember you still have your personal allowance and lower tax bands to use, so any UK tax due will almost certainly be less than the Australian tax due. Check the Double Tax Agreement as you should be able to offset it against your Australian tax bill.
I hope not, had enough of the Inland Revenue lately..............
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:35 am
BE Forum Addict

I found this which may be of use http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/ir20.htm

Having read it I think I am correct in saying I am not liable for UK tax but I have asked my accountant to double check for me.

I work on a freelance basis, there is no contracts or employment.