Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax File Question?

Tax File Question?

Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:17 pm
Just Joined

chrismason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax File Question?

Keep reading on the Forum about the people who've arrived in OZ, and the things that you need to do on arrival: One of them is to get a Tax File number.

What information do we have to take with us from the UK to get a Tax File number. i.e: do we need to get any information from our tax office to take with us?

Hope this makes sense, can anybody enlighten us please.

Cheers Chris
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:24 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax File Question?

Chris, when you get here you can apply online & you dont have to provide ID etc.

Have a look at

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...02_001_008_002
Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:25 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by chrismason
Keep reading on the Forum about the people who've arrived in OZ, and the things that you need to do on arrival: One of them is to get a Tax File number.

What information do we have to take with us from the UK to get a Tax File number. i.e: do we need to get any information from our tax office to take with us?

Hope this makes sense, can anybody enlighten us please.

Cheers Chris
No UK Tax info is needed;

Have a look at this ATO link

Old Mar 1st 2005, 10:46 pm
Just Joined

chrismason is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No UK Tax info is needed;

Have a look at this ATO link
Thanks to both of you for the replies makes a bit more sense now!

Cheers Chris
Old Apr 5th 2005, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Manchester UK to Sydney, then decided Gold Coast, stayed there for 8 months and now back in sydney
threlly is on a distinguished road

Hi MrsDagboy,
i have just looked at the link u provided on your thread re:applying for a TFN. i arrive in oz in 4 weeks time. can i apply online now for a TFN, or do i have to wait till i am in oz? also, i have already had a TFN when in oz in 98-do i just keep the same one? thanks for any help
cheers

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Chris, when you get here you can apply online & you dont have to provide ID etc.

Have a look at

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/pa...02_001_008_002
Old Apr 5th 2005, 12:00 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

I'm in the same position as you, I have a tax file number from about 6 years ago. Yes you do keep the same one. The link below contains a from you can send off to get your original tax file number.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...1/002&st=&cy=1

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downlo...cationform.pdf
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:00 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Once you have a TFN it stays effective for life, so you willkeep the same one. Otherwise, if you try and register before you validate the visa, it usually refuses you - you have tovalidate first. I registered the next day withh no problems - very easy, name and address type of info, no UK tax stuff needed. They send the number in the post within a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Once you have a TFN it stays effective for life, so you willkeep the same one. Otherwise, if you try and register before you validate the visa, it usually refuses you - you have tovalidate first. I registered the next day withh no problems - very easy, name and address type of info, no UK tax stuff needed. They send the number in the post within a couple of weeks.
Everything seems to kick off when you enter the country, their systems must be linked. When we went for medicare cards they said they had been expecting us, as we had been in the country for 4 weeks. So the customs computers must have fed the medicare computers, and we got our cards straight away..

All this new fangled technology, its quite clever sometimes.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 5th 2005, 2:13 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I went to register for Medicare in the first week - they told me if I waited another week their computer would update from DIMIA, so there would be less paperwork. I went back the next week, and there I was, on the system! Spooky!!!