Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax File Numbers and Medicare

Tax File Numbers and Medicare

Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:04 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax File Numbers and Medicare

My son is going back to Australia in July to live and work.
He has a TFN and is registered for Medicare, both of which he got when we entered Australia back in 2006.
As a family we came back to the UK after just a few months but my son is now going back in July.
Can anyone tell me if both his TFN and Medicare card are still both valid or does he have to apply for new ones?
He was 16 back then and will be 21 by the time he's back in Australia.
He has a PR visa.

Thanks,
Julie. x
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Tax File Numbers and Medicare

Originally Posted by Juliecabs
My son is going back to Australia in July to live and work.
He has a TFN and is registered for Medicare, both of which he got when we entered Australia back in 2006.
As a family we came back to the UK after just a few months but my son is now going back in July.
Can anyone tell me if both his TFN and Medicare card are still both valid or does he have to apply for new ones?
He was 16 back then and will be 21 by the time he's back in Australia.
He has a PR visa.

Thanks,
Julie. x
His TFN will still be valid - I hope he notified them of his departure in 2006, as if not they may fine him a few hundred $$$ for each tax return he's failed to submit.

Medicare will need to be checked, on the Medicare card, it has a valid to date. If this date has passed then pop into a Medicare centre and they'll sort it out.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:19 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xzibit
His TFN will still be valid - I hope he notified them of his departure in 2006, as if not they may fine him a few hundred $$$ for each tax return he's failed to submit.
We didn't notify the Tax Office that we were leaving
None of us had been working - hubby couldn't find work, which was the main reason for leaving - and my son was at school and hadn't found any part time work.

Do you still think he could be fined?
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:34 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=695513

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...91#post9028191

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Well my friend,

I spent half an hour on the dog and bone to the ATO late last night. It seems like i have read on here, that when you speak to the ATO, depending on whom you speak to, will determine what information you get relayed back to you relative to tax payable, and what not to do and what to do?

Its a funny old world, but i just wish certain processes were based on simplicity rather than trying to confuse the confused, so implementation confuses the call center help line helper.

It would seem, in my case i can either:

1) Do nothing

2) Fill in and lodge a Non-lodgment advice 2009-10 (NAT 2586) form

3) Go and get drunk, and call again tonight for another permitation?

It would seem, for me even though i was in Australia for 182 days, 1 day less than 6 months, and i never worked in Australia, so recieved no income, i was really on holiday really, but was in possession of a PR visa for my holiday destination country etc.

Its quite complicated, but after half an hour it seems i can do,...........?

I am going to lodge a Non-lodgment advice 2009-10 (NAT 2586) form, just so they know where i am for now. I think the problem arises where you have lodged in the past, then leave Australia, do not tell the ATO, so they have your TFN on record, and are wondering why you have not lodged a tax return for the years you have left. Then you arrive back only to find out that they have fined you for not letting them know etc?

Me, i have never lodged a tax return in Australia, i have never worked in Australia, i have a TFN, i have a bank account, albeit, with a zero balance. I recieved $1.30 in interest for the period of 09-10 tax year, but earnt no other income while in Australia.

I think if i did nothing i would still be ok, but i will post my form and then call them in a month to make sure it is on record with the ATO.

Keith:fingerscross ed:

Last edited by Keith Moon; Feb 12th 2011 at 7:37 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:55 pm
Chocoholic

Thanks for this Keith.
So if I'm reading this right, as he only lived in Australia for 3 months, was at school and didn't earn a cent, he didn't need to fill in a tax return.
So hopefully he will be ok when he goes back to Australia and can just start over again.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 11:01 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for this Keith.
So if I'm reading this right, as he only lived in Australia for 3 months, was at school and didn't earn a cent, he didn't need to fill in a tax return.
So hopefully he will be ok when he goes back to Australia and can just start over again.
Yep he'll be fine.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:36 am
Chocoholic

Thanks Keith
Old Feb 13th 2011, 9:57 am
Banned

Thanks Keith
Can't believe you were only there for three months, thats three less than me. I am going back to at least get my RRV worse case, i reckon worse case do 12 more months in the last year of my five year window, and i should get my RRV. If not, maybe stay another six months, that way i will have done two years in five and a half years, which satisfies the stated requirements AT PRESENT?

Then again, can't believe your giving up your PR, must be a special bloke hey?
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:02 am
Chocoholic

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Then again, can't believe your giving up your PR, must be a special bloke hey?
I just told him what you wrote and he says "Yes I am special"!!!

Anyway it's just not him, it's my girls too. Can't leave them

Get back out there asap Keith. Don't waste that visa.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 10:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Julie, Hope you're doing well and hope it works out for him.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 2:45 pm
Chocoholic

Thanks Alf. I'm good thanks. Just dreading the day he leaves

Bloody cold here, by the way