Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax File Number - PSV - Non-Resident TFN

Tax File Number - PSV - Non-Resident TFN

Old Jun 17th 2008, 4:28 am
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax File Number - PSV - Non-Resident TFN

Helloooooooo!

All matters to do with tax get me worried - so I thought I would post here to see if someone could help me! I'm over in Australia now having been granted my Prospective Spouse Visa in February this year. I applied online for my Tax File Number and have just received a response from the Taxation Office with a "Non Resident Tax File Number Advice"

I vaguely remember having read here that this is not correct for the type of visa that I am on - but now I can't find where I read it or what to do!! I'm hoping to have a bit more background knowledge before I phone the tax office as I hate sounding bewildered and that's how I feel at the moment!! Its funny how tax matters just boggle my poor brain!

All/any help appreciated!!
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:50 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tax File Number - PSV - Non-Resident TFN

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Helloooooooo!

All matters to do with tax get me worried - so I thought I would post here to see if someone could help me! I'm over in Australia now having been granted my Prospective Spouse Visa in February this year. I applied online for my Tax File Number and have just received a response from the Taxation Office with a "Non Resident Tax File Number Advice"

I vaguely remember having read here that this is not correct for the type of visa that I am on - but now I can't find where I read it or what to do!! I'm hoping to have a bit more background knowledge before I phone the tax office as I hate sounding bewildered and that's how I feel at the moment!! Its funny how tax matters just boggle my poor brain!

Sounds like you possibly may have clicked the wrong option on the application form. Tell them your problem, how you filled the application form and ask for them to explain what happened in simple layman terms and how to fix it. Let them know that you've practically just arrived and what visa type your on. That is what they are there for.
Old Jun 17th 2008, 10:49 am
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

I got that too. I rang the tax office to panic at them.
I'm still at the "brain full, what was that again?" stage ( 6 weeks in ), so my indistinct memory of what the very helpful person at the tax office said was , just send in the declaration again, and you'll be reset to resident status??? I came away from the call thinking "not a problem" I remember that much.

Dont worry about ringing them, so far I've rung medicare and the tax people, and it has not been REMOTELY like a similar experience in the UK. Very friendly, very knowledgeable and very helpful. Its not their fault my brain is still mush.
DISCLAIMER: You may not get the same people I talked to
Old Jun 17th 2008, 9:31 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help The Bloke and CynOpt . I'll give them a call later this morning and see what happens!!

Originally Posted by CynOpt
DISCLAIMER: You may not get the same people I talked to
Hmmm - so a simple can I talk to the same person CynOpt spoke to wouldn't work?

I know what you mean about talking to major organisations here though as opposed to the UK - been very impressed on the whole!
Old Jun 18th 2008, 3:38 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SillyOldBag
Helloooooooo!

Don't forget, that for Tax purposes you will be classed as Resident not Non Resident.
Old Jun 18th 2008, 6:32 am
Feeble Minded

Originally Posted by paddyo
Don't forget, that for Tax purposes you will be classed as Resident not Non Resident.
Yep yep that's what I want to sort out as they are saying now I will be taxed as a non-resident. Can't get through to them on the phone at the moment, will try again in the morning!

Thanks for replying paddyo - it's great having the support and backup of the people on this site
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:37 am
Feeble Minded

I spoke to the tax office this morning, first person was somewhat less than helpful, second person rather more so. I was told that the number remains the same regardless of whether resident or non-resident and that all that will happen is that when I start work I have to complete a tax declaration form and on that I should tax to be taxed as a resident. I don't need to do anything else meanwhile.

Does that sound right? I rather hoped that they would alter something on their system now, but it seems that isn't the way it works.

Tax definitely causes my brain to turn to porridge
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:10 am
CynOpt

CynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of lightCynOpt is a glorious beacon of light

Nope thats it, I remember now, after taking a look at the form again.
Your TFN is set regardless of residency status.
Your resident status is set by the form you fill in for the company you work for , the Tax declaration form.
I got confused, cos i had already filled one in, and had to tick the box that said "have applied for TFN" instead of giving them the number.
But theres another box on there to declare you are resident and thats what sets your tax resident status.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:59 am
Feeble Minded

Originally Posted by CynOpt
Nope thats it, I remember now, after taking a look at the form again.
Your TFN is set regardless of residency status.
Your resident status is set by the form you fill in for the company you work for , the Tax declaration form.
I got confused, cos i had already filled one in, and had to tick the box that said "have applied for TFN" instead of giving them the number.
But theres another box on there to declare you are resident and thats what sets your tax resident status.
Marvellous and splendid! I shall cease worrying immediately! welllll til I think of something else to bug me