Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax file number declaration form

Tax file number declaration form

Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tax file number declaration form

Hi all,

My other half has just started some gainful part-time employment.

She has to complete the aforementioned form and we aren't sure what to put in reply to the question (9) which asks,

"Do you want to claim family tax benefit or the Senior Australians tax offset by reducing the amount withheld from payments made to you ?"

We aren't seniors yet and we have a school-aged child, so I presume we tick 'yes'. Oh, we are currently on a 457 visa by the way, so are Aus residents for tax purposes.

I'd like to find out tonight if anyone knows. Failing that she'll have to call the ATO tomorrow.

Anyone know ?

Old Dec 13th 2010, 11:05 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tax file number declaration form

Sometimes it is safer to Answer ‘NO’ and claim your entitlement as a lump sum at the end of the income year.

If you answer 'YES' you will need to calculate your estimated entitlements and if you get it wrong, you either get the difference later, or pay them back some later.

A lump sum at the end of the year can be nice

Most people actually claim FTB via Centrelink and not via the tax office anyway.

Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Sometimes it is safer to Answer ‘NO’ and claim your entitlement as a lump sum at the end of the income year.

If you answer 'YES' you will need to calculate your estimated entitlements and if you get it wrong, you either get the difference later, or pay them back some later.

A lump sum at the end of the year can be nice

Most people actually claim FTB via Centrelink and not via the tax office anyway.

Okay, thanks. I think we'll have to read up on it some more. "No" it is, then.
Old Dec 14th 2010, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree
Hi all,

My other half has just started some gainful part-time employment.

She has to complete the aforementioned form and we aren't sure what to put in reply to the question (9) which asks,

"Do you want to claim family tax benefit or the Senior Australians tax offset by reducing the amount withheld from payments made to you ?"

We aren't seniors yet and we have a school-aged child, so I presume we tick 'yes'. Oh, we are currently on a 457 visa by the way, so are Aus residents for tax purposes.

I'd like to find out tonight if anyone knows. Failing that she'll have to call the ATO tomorrow.

Anyone know ?

You must answer "NO". On a 457 visa you are not entitled to claim Family Tax Benefit.