Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax dodging questions

Tax dodging questions

Old Dec 27th 2009, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Tax dodging questions

1. When is the best time to land in Australia from tax point of view so that you don't have to declare your overseas income prior to Oz tax residency? July 1st?

2. Do migrants usually declare their overseas assets and investment income on Australian tax returns? What happens if you declare only after 5 or 10 years of migration when you are really sure that Oz is the permanent home?

3. When you are means-tested for benefits (just trying to fathom the downside here), do your overseas bank balances/assets also count?
Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:15 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tax dodging questions

Originally Posted by caliburn
1. When is the best time to land in Australia from tax point of view so that you don't have to declare your overseas income prior to Oz tax residency? July 1st?

2. Do migrants usually declare their overseas assets and investment income on Australian tax returns? What happens if you declare only after 5 or 10 years of migration when you are really sure that Oz is the permanent home?

3. When you are means-tested for benefits (just trying to fathom the downside here), do your overseas bank balances/assets also count?
1: July 1st would mean no income to declare, but then, your income from before your arrival date isn't taxed here anyway.

2: a) They should. b) back tax and penalties may be applied

3: Worldwide income and assets are counted for means tests.

Old Dec 27th 2009, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn

I do not have a partiular knowledge of Australian tax law but some principles are much the same across tax systems so thought I would have a shot at your questions anyway.

1. I would not have expected to declare my overseas (meaning UK) income from prior to arriving in Australia no matter when I land. When I take up Australian residency I would expect my overseas income to come into play from that point onwards.

2. I am quite sure they do. It is called fraud otherwise.

3. Don't know about Australia, but for example in the UK it would count.
Old Dec 28th 2009, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

ExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really niceExSmoggie is just really nice

Being an Australian resident and being an Australian resident for tax purposes is not necessarily the same thing. Check out the following link to the ATO website to see if you would classify as a resident for tax purposes.

http://www.ato.gov.au/individuals/co...tent/64131.htm

The difference is non residents are only taxed on income they earn in Australia. Residents are taxed on income earned anywhere in the world. You would therefore need to declare income earned overseas as soon as you are deemed a tax resident but you do not need to declare assets you hold (either in Australia or overseas) on an Australian tax return (unless you are in business.)

On an Australian tax return you can claim deductions for any expenses related to the income you declare e.g. work related expenses, investment expenses etc so make sure you keep all receipts from the beginning. Good Luck
Old Dec 28th 2009, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for clarifying this for me. Cheers!