Tax Credit??

Old May 3rd 2004, 1:20 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tax Credit??

I don't know if anyone remembers me posting about a large sum of money paid into my a/c by mistake?

It's still there!

I am bloody tempted to leave it there but will it be found out?

It's from the stupid Tax Credit people - they have all are info and we were not entitled to a bean then suddenly they do this. I tried to contact them but no answer - then I got bloody annoyed that they actually pay someone this amount of cash not to notice the mistake!

As we are off to Aus in September I thought about leaving it in the account - I wouldn't spend it.

But what would they do if they had no idea where we were anyway? Would the IR try to track us down? I don't want to be in trouble! Imagine coming back through passport control and being pulled to one side!!!

...ooh than I could buy a great car (only joking)!!!

Max x
Old May 3rd 2004, 2:08 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Tax Credit??

Leave it in the account for a year or two and if they track you down tell 'em you never touched it. After 2 years and it has been well and truely 'lost' come back to UK and withdraw it all in cash and enjoy it !!! Remember, its their mistake.

Wish it was me who found some 'extra' funds in my account.

Good luck and enjoy a on them.
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:39 pm

Originally posted by irishmolly
Leave it in the account for a year or two and if they track you down tell 'em you never touched it. After 2 years and it has been well and truely 'lost' come back to UK and withdraw it all in cash and enjoy it !!! Remember, its their mistake.

Wish it was me who found some 'extra' funds in my account.

Good luck and enjoy a on them.
That sounds like a good plan!
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:49 pm
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by maxpaxx
I don't know if anyone remembers me posting about a large sum of money paid into my a/c by mistake?

It's still there!

I am bloody tempted to leave it there but will it be found out?

It's from the stupid Tax Credit people - they have all are info and we were not entitled to a bean then suddenly they do this. I tried to contact them but no answer - then I got bloody annoyed that they actually pay someone this amount of cash not to notice the mistake!

As we are off to Aus in September I thought about leaving it in the account - I wouldn't spend it.

But what would they do if they had no idea where we were anyway? Would the IR try to track us down? I don't want to be in trouble! Imagine coming back through passport control and being pulled to one side!!!

...ooh than I could buy a great car (only joking)!!!

Max x

The only thing in life guaranteed to get you into prison in the UK is not murder, kidnapping, rape etc but to defraud the goverment of their money, mess with the tax man at you peril, I would do as the other posters said leave it where it is but remind the tax credit people that come September you are going to be gone, but hopefully after a couple of years it might still be there and you can spend it and send a nice thank-you note to them!!!
Old May 3rd 2004, 7:56 pm

Originally posted by leanda
The only thing in life guaranteed to get you into prison in the UK is not murder, kidnapping, rape etc but to defraud the goverment of their money, mess with the tax man at you peril, I would do as the other posters said leave it where it is but remind the tax credit people that come September you are going to be gone, but hopefully after a couple of years it might still be there and you can spend it and send a nice thank-you note to them!!!
Yeah the problem with me is I could probably never spend it!

..it's been sitting there for ages now. Ed says we should leave it and see if they work it out but I am for trying to contact them again! I just don't like things like this!
Old May 3rd 2004, 9:20 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Sit tight !!! I'm sure like every company they have their end of year financial audit and if it doesn't show up then your quids in. Don't worry, if you don't touch it they can touch you - and after 2 years it will be well and truely forgotton....enjoy.
Old May 3rd 2004, 9:59 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

hehe,
the tax credit people are a bit strange arent they?? (apologies to anyone who works for them!)
i recently told them of a change in my circumstances....they replied by saying I was no longer entitled to anything!!!!
'What??' screeches I........the poor woman at the end of the phone nearly disolved into tears.........!!!
Anyway, they are so inefficient I keep getting different amounts....it varies from week to week...!!!!
We call it the wftc lottery!!!!!!! each monday i check my bank balance to see if ive won a little jackpot!!!!

sue
Old May 3rd 2004, 10:39 pm
Anxiously awaiting March

vicky o will become famous soon enoughvicky o will become famous soon enough

If it's a large amount, why don't you pay it into a high interest account and leave it. That way, whether they "remember it" or not, you'll still make a tidy profit????
Old May 3rd 2004, 11:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by vicky o
If it's a large amount, why don't you pay it into a high interest account and leave it. That way, whether they "remember it" or not, you'll still make a tidy profit????
I wouldn't touch it for 6 years.

I am not sure how the rules really work, but I am aware of a 6 year financial rule, where debtors etc can not be chased after that time.

I'd feel safe to use it after that period of time, not sure i'd be comfortable touching it before then.

Old May 4th 2004, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Same thing happened to our friends in Uk. They are getting over 800 pounds a month put in and they know they shouldn't be getting it. They have rang numerous times and tried to tell them this but they insist it's correct. They are just sitting on it.

Mad, mad world.