Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Tax (bit dull I know!)

Tax (bit dull I know!)

Old May 2nd 2010, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Big Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to all
Default Tax (bit dull I know!)

Here's a quick one. I have been here working on a 457 since Nov 09 and therefore have not paid tax for the full tax year. Am I due for a tax rebate and if so how do I go about getting it?
Old May 2nd 2010, 12:00 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Tax (bit dull I know!)

Not dull in the slightest

You will do an Australian tax return in July, and any rebate will be worked out then.

A tax agent should charge about $100 for a tax return.

Old May 3rd 2010, 3:24 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
A tax agent should charge about $100 for a tax return.
Is it better to use a tax agent, or the 'straight forward' online system?
Old May 3rd 2010, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

spottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of lightspottydog is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by coolshadows
I've always done mine online. I looked at finding a tax agent last year but it seemed that any agent that did more than the basic fill in the form for you was well over $100 and I decided as I don't have any complications (no investments or negative gearing) I could easily do it myself.
Old May 3rd 2010, 5:23 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by coolshadows
My personal advice, is to get a tax agent to do it for the first year, then do it yourself, copying their ideas for future years.

Without having much local tax knowledge, many people will not think to claim for various expenses that they may not be aware of.

Here are some ideas of costs for having a tax return done in 2009/10:
$55 Tax Return – Full Time Student
$77 Standard Tax Return
$99 Tax Return – Share Sales
$132 Tax Return – Sole Trader (ABN)
$154 Tax Return - Rental Property
I know of people who pay much more, and may get more back ? but then again, they may not ?

the 'straight forward' online system?
It sometimes make me think, and I have been doing Australian tax returns since 1988....

Old May 3rd 2010, 12:22 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>> the 'straight forward' online system? <<

What is so complicated about the online tax return (For straightforward taxpayers)?

With the exception of the at-first-sight iterating questions of own/wife's earnings it is a breeze to do - and I speak as one who never once was able to get the UK online return to work!
Old May 3rd 2010, 12:42 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
>>http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...es/biggrin.gif the 'straight forward' online system? http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ilies/rofl.gif<<

What is so complicated about the online tax return (For straightforward taxpayers)?

With the exception of the at-first-sight iterating questions of own/wife's earnings it is a breeze to do - and I speak as one who never once was able to get the UK online return to work!
In general it is pretty straightforward, to me, but I hear many people find it isn't, and consequently miss out on getting some tax back.

Old May 4th 2010, 1:34 am
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

In general it is pretty straightforward, to me, but I hear many people find it isn't, and consequently miss out on getting some tax back.
Especially people on a 457 visa who often don't realise that they are eligible for the spouse tax offset (provided spouse's income is below the limit).
Old May 4th 2010, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

Big Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to allBig Man is a name known to all

Ozhappy can you tell me more about the spouse tax offset for the 457? My OH is actually the one on the 457 and I am therefore her spouse and am employed.

Thanks
Old May 5th 2010, 4:35 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Big Man
Ozhappy can you tell me more about the spouse tax offset for the 457? My OH is actually the one on the 457 and I am therefore her spouse and am employed.

Thanks
If you earn more than $9,254 in the 2009-10 income year, you are not able to claim that offset.

Old May 6th 2010, 12:36 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

For a straightforward taxpayer with PAYG salary only the ATO's e-tax web based program is likely to be as good a strategy as any other.

I'd only add that you might get a value add from paying a tax agent if you are unsure about the availability of tax deductions, and/or have other financial issues which merit an annual review (eg mortgages, personal risk insurances, superannuation, etc) - assuming the person or firm that you instruct is in a position to offer these services.

Best regards.
Old May 6th 2010, 12:46 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

If you earn more than $9,254 in the 2009-10 income year, you are not able to claim that offset.
I THINK we got that last year, my question in now . . . what happens if you change visa (to PR) during the year, do you get it pro rata?
Old May 6th 2010, 12:53 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Were you taxed as a resident last year?

Best regards.
Old May 6th 2010, 3:33 am
Living the dream!

kar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to allkar-kier is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
Were you taxed as a resident last year?

Best regards.
Yeah, on a 457, but classed as a resident for tax purposes.