British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Tasmania?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/tasmania-438954/)

kezzabird Dec 3rd 2007 8:46 am

Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by Teabag (Post 5627186)
Hey Kezza

How was the humidity for you yesterday?

Hi Teabag! Not too bad, it was the heat on Sunday that made me thankfull for aircon! :thumbup:

I'm writing my xmas cards and I can't remember your husbands name for the life of me:o Please can you remind me?

Teabag Dec 3rd 2007 9:24 am

Originally Posted by kezzabird (Post 5628941)
Hi Teabag! Not too bad, it was the heat on Sunday that made me thankfull for aircon! :thumbup:

I'm writing my xmas cards and I can't remember your husbands name for the life of me:o Please can you remind me?

His name is Ric with no K - I'll have to pop round with your dishes too soon.
How's the washing machine? Must be heaven to have one at last!

kezzabird Dec 3rd 2007 9:32 am

Originally Posted by Teabag (Post 5629066)
His name is Ric with no K - I'll have to pop round with your dishes too soon.
How's the washing machine? Must be heaven to have one at last!

Yeah it is, got loads to do, just hope the rain holds off today so I can get it dry! Just text or give me a ring to make sure I'm home before you pop round.

GaryVFR8 Dec 4th 2007 8:22 am

I know what people mean about pinching themselves. On Sunday I was walking around Hobart and having lovely fish and chips thinking WOW I have moved here!!!!!!
Everyone seems so freindly, Getting the driving licence was no hassle same with banks. I don't know if this is just Tassie or the all of OZ?
I'm really happy and allready been told to hand my resume in and should have no problem finding work.
Hope to meet up with lots of you lovely people from Tassie.
Gary :beer: and Vikky

manc1 Dec 4th 2007 9:16 am

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8 (Post 5633208)
I know what people mean about pinching themselves. On Sunday I was walking around Hobart and having lovely fish and chips thinking WOW I have moved here!!!!!!
Everyone seems so freindly, Getting the driving licence was no hassle same with banks. I don't know if this is just Tassie or the all of OZ?
I'm really happy and allready been told to hand my resume in and should have no problem finding work.

Tassie is the only state in oz that has similarities to the UK. Lovely green fields and mild weather. Hobart is certainly a lovely place. :thumbsup:

Teabag Dec 4th 2007 4:11 pm

I think Aussie's all over are pretty similar - you'll get more smiles from strangers in W.A. but you get lovely shop service here in Tas. In Sydney you'll get shoved out of the way mostly :rofl:

ianandhelena Dec 4th 2007 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8 (Post 5626919)
Hi Everyone,
We are finally in Tassie!!!!
Upto now everything is going better then expected!!!!
Been into Launceston today got a new bank account go my Oz drving licence and got a form for my tax file number.
Going to a job expo on Tuesday to see if I can find a job. Its still not sunk in that I have moved here to live! Still like a holiday.
Hope to meet up with a few of you lovely people,
Keep in touch and hope to see you soon.,
Gary and Vikky

pleased to hear you got here ok-welcome !

Sammy T Dec 5th 2007 10:17 pm

Gary and Vikky

Glad to know you have arrived OK and are enjoying yourself by the sounds of it! Can't wait to get there too:D

Sam

Sammy T Dec 5th 2007 10:23 pm

Hi

Just a quick question for those of you already moved to Tas.
Did any of you take your dog?
And do you think its quite a dog friendly place or not, are there lots of places you can go with dogs etc.

I appreciate you may have no idea if you don't have a dog!
Have been looking into bringing our Cocker Spaniel, and researching where you can take them. Have found out they are not allowed in any of the National Parks, not even in the car but where else are they restricted?

If we think she will not enjoy as much freedom in Oz as here in UK, although she is usually on lead, as prone to running off! we can go to most places with her here. We may not bring her if we can re home her, although myself and the children would prefer her to come with us.

Any tips much appreciated

Sam (from a wet and soggy UK)

Teabag Dec 5th 2007 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Sammy T (Post 5639337)
Hi

Just a quick question for those of you already moved to Tas.
Did any of you take your dog?
And do you think its quite a dog friendly place or not, are there lots of places you can go with dogs etc.

I appreciate you may have no idea if you don't have a dog!
Have been looking into bringing our Cocker Spaniel, and researching where you can take them. Have found out they are not allowed in any of the National Parks, not even in the car but where else are they restricted?

If we think she will not enjoy as much freedom in Oz as here in UK, although she is usually on lead, as prone to running off! we can go to most places with her here. We may not bring her if we can re home her, although myself and the children would prefer her to come with us.

Any tips much appreciated

Sam (from a wet and soggy UK)

very costly bringing a dog to Australia - lots of threads about it on the forum

here are Hobart City Council's guidlines:
http://www.hobartcity.com.au/HCC/STA...RULES_884.html

jerzo Dec 5th 2007 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by kezzabird (Post 5629087)
Yeah it is, got loads to do, just hope the rain holds off today so I can get it dry! Just text or give me a ring to make sure I'm home before you pop round.

Oh it all sounds sooo lovely i'm really sad I'm still stuck in Grey Britain :-( .
Kerry i'm so glad it's all you hoped for .....it makes me even more determined to go (even though i'm now 4 months pregnant :eek:)
We are over at the very start of Feb and it can't come soon enough ......you'll have to give us some tips on where to go and more importantly where to eat ;)
Hope it all continues to be Great xxxx

Zoe:wub:

Sammy T Dec 5th 2007 11:20 pm

Originally Posted by Teabag (Post 5639373)
very costly bringing a dog to Australia - lots of threads about it on the forum

here are Hobart City Council's guidlines:
http://www.hobartcity.com.au/HCC/STA...RULES_884.html

Thanks for that, will have a web site now.
Yes, i know its very expensive, mainreason why OH does not want to take her, he's busy thinking of the new bike and kayak he could get for the same money;)
Its really hard knowing what to do, but we need to start making some decisions now or we'll end not being able to take simply cos we didn't prepare everything ( actually, thats what OH is probably banking on!)

Sam

BethandAndrew Dec 6th 2007 1:17 am

We have decided to def move to Tasmania!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Just had a shipper in to give us a quote and not as bad as we thought :thumbup: Have to sell the house first though :curse:
Just need to find the perfect place in Tas next :eek: Especially with 4 girls with us :ohmy:
Beth x x :wub:

Sammy T Dec 6th 2007 2:01 am

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew (Post 5639815)
We have decided to def move to Tasmania!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup:
Just had a shipper in to give us a quote and not as bad as we thought :thumbup: Have to sell the house first though :curse:
Just need to find the perfect place in Tas next :eek: Especially with 4 girls with us :ohmy:

How exciting, beth - will you be my friend when we get there too?:D

Who did you have quotes from - haven't got that far yet but did get a lot on info from varios shows we've been to.

When do you plan to go? Sooooo exciting, I just can't wait now, just the small details of getting a csae officer and visa to get first!

Sam

BethandAndrew Dec 6th 2007 3:57 am

Originally Posted by Sammy T (Post 5639918)
How exciting, beth - will you be my friend when we get there too?:D

Who did you have quotes from - haven't got that far yet but did get a lot on info from varios shows we've been to.

When do you plan to go? Sooooo exciting, I just can't wait now, just the small details of getting a csae officer and visa to get first!

Sam

Hi Sam, yes all very exciting for us (at last) as we finally know where we are heading!!!!! :thumbsup:
Hopefully we won't just be cyber-friends in Tas....LOL
Quote today was from 'PSS' and then we have 'Pickfords' coming on Monday. Going to get 'Crown' and 'Anglo Pacific' in then :thumbsup:
Just need to live near a hospital so my daughter can have regular check ups with a consultant.