Tasmania??

Old Jul 18th 2007, 7:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all
Default Re: Tasmania??

Originally Posted by kezzabird
Brilliant I've been looking at places in Glenorchy, Moonah and New Town as they are fairly close to Derwent Park, reason being we think Duncan has a very good chance of getting work there. Not seen Austins Ferry yet will look that one up too. Thanks for that tea bag, its reasuring to know I'm looking in the right places.

Whats the likelihood of getting somewhere that has broadband? And do you know of any decent ISP's to go with?
I work in Derwent Park (which is basically Moonah) as well, it's about 4-5 minutes drive from Glenorchy.

I stayed with my ISP I had in West Aust. they are 'Westnet" very good ISP, they have good plans and don't count your uploads as your downloads. (Broadband)

Oh and we bought our house over the internet (but we were already in Australia so bit different for you guys) we were very lucky that it worked out well, the house is lovely. We figured it beat paying rent and we could move on later anyway.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:00 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Kerry

I bet you can't believe its really happening, very close now.
Have you booked flights yet? Where are going to head to, Hobart?
We are still waiting on OH's exam in Sept then (fingers crossed) we can apply for visa in October, bloody skills assessment!!
Good luck with all of your final packing and preparations, let us know how its all going.

Ozzie Nurse

Are you going straight to Tas now or still going via Perth (which I think I read somewhere or I might have got that completely wrong)
What area of nursing are you in? I am a midwife but have heard varying opinions on midwifery in Oz so will be looking for a low risk, small, midwife led unit, although I would prefer to only work part time it will depend on OH's job position as well.
Good luck, have a good flight over, not long now!!

Sammy
Hi Sammy,
We are still going to Perth first, staying with family. I am a community staff nurse at the moment, but I am pretty flexible, I have worked in both medical and surgical I by far preferred Trauma Orthopaedics though out of the ward jobs. I love community nursing but I believe it is so different in Oz than here that I don't think I would like it. Here in the UK I deal with sub cut/IV fluids, syringe drivers, palliative care for the majority of my work. Over there in Oz I believe that it is more personal care? and leg dressings? I don't mind that but it wouldn't stretch me as a nurse.
I am not sure if I will like nursing in OZ from what people have told me but there is only one way to find out.
I am hoping that all my experience will mean I can apply for better jobs? Well I guess we will see hey?
I too just want a good wage for minimum risk.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 8:05 am
Here at last!

OzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond reputeOzzieNurse has a reputation beyond repute

We haven't got aclue where we are heading for in Tasmania as yet, we are hoping to do a reccie trip to see where.
Launceston is looking good at the moment to be honest.
Old Jul 18th 2007, 10:50 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Tasmania?? Meet Up?

Hi everyone,
Lots of seem to be heading to Tassie before Christmas, Why don't we try and sort out a Tassie meet then we can all meet up just before Crimbo!!!!
Me and Wifey will be living near Launceston. We arrive on 1st December.
Hope to hear from some of you soon!!!
Gary and Vikky
Old Jul 18th 2007, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieNurse
We haven't got aclue where we are heading for in Tasmania as yet, we are hoping to do a reccie trip to see where.
Launceston is looking good at the moment to be honest.
Good luck with all of your plans, I know what you are saying about the nursing side of the things cos its pretty much what I'm hearing about midwifery - not being able to make any decisions and having to refer to docs on just about everything - which would be a bit hard after more freedom in the UK but as you say you don't know til you've tried it.
It must be good to have family already in Oz, it does scare me a bit to think how far from our family we will be, although I can't resist a smile thinking how far away the in laws will be

Sammy
Old Jul 18th 2007, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Tasmania?? Meet Up?

Originally Posted by GaryVFR8
Hi everyone,
Lots of seem to be heading to Tassie before Christmas, Why don't we try and sort out a Tassie meet then we can all meet up just before Crimbo!!!!
Me and Wifey will be living near Launceston. We arrive on 1st December.
Hope to hear from some of you soon!!!
Gary and Vikky
Yeah when we get there we'll sort something out. Will be great to meet everyone and swap stories.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

shallwe shantwe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Teabag
Hey all,

Well I arrived in beautiful Hobart last Thursday, a week already! I've met the lovely Mashy, having dinner with her family on Friday night

It is cold here, very nice though! Looking forward to the weekend to take the girls out exploring some of the countryside.

I love how everything is just 'down the road', big difference to the wide open spaces of Perth that is for sure.
Hi Tea bag....Have been reading your forum...am glad you have done the move cos intrested to know how all goes....we are in Jersey Channel Isles at the moment have been here a few years ...family ...however we have a home in Denmark WA and are desperatly debating whether to return to to Denmark or move your way...I know what you mean about the big open spaces and the intresting things about Taz seem inviting ..so will keep studing up...
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 1:40 pm
Just Joined

shallwe shantwe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Teabag
Now that I am finally living here you are welcome to pick my brain on areas etc.

There is a cycle track that follows the old rail line that goes in from Claremont through Montrose, Glenorchy, and into the city, quite flat and easy cycling.

Steer clear of Bridgewater, GageBrook and Risdon Vale. Cheaper property in reasonable areas are Glenorchy, Moonah, Austins Ferry, New town

Other side of Hobart, Kingston and Blackman's Bay are near nice beaches, more quite areas but bit further out and higher property prices. But everything is pretty close in Hobart, it's very small
H tea bag...what do you think of New Norfolk or Sorel... some nice places for sale in those areas...
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to allTeabag is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shallwe shantwe
H tea bag...what do you think of New Norfolk or Sorel... some nice places for sale in those areas...
They are both out a fair way so if you intend to commute to Hobart give it some careful thought!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:23 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another link for you Tassie lovers - fairly new, but seems to be growing ..

www.tasmaniaforums.com
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Here's another link for you Tassie lovers - fairly new, but seems to be growing ..

www.tasmaniaforums.com
Just had a quick look, looks good but if I sign up on another forum, I really will never get off the computer and will end with a chair shaped bottom and RSD

Sammy
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pollyana

www.tasmaniaforums.com
Thanks Pollyanna, I've joined up!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

yessie76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by natty
Hi there

Just wanted to add some info about Tas

my husband and I moved here two years ago next week from the UK.

Tassie is a great place to live and we came here as we thought it would be a great place to bring up kids ( i am now 16 weeks pregnant !!)

Like everywhere Tassie has its positives and negatives- here are my opinions based on living here two years !!

Pros

beautiful scenery- from my house I have a 180 degree view of the sea and the hills in the distance.

clean and safe- the air is pure and the crime rate is very very low

weather- today its 21 degrees and sunny and this is autumn- summer can be as high as 35 but generally mid 20's - winters are cold but the sun always shines- no grey rainy days here- pay no attention to people who tell you it rains all the time in Tassie- Hobart has the 2nd lowest rainfall of all the cities in Australia.

The people- very friendly

Cons

lots of bogans - you will know what they are soon enough

prices- everything is much more expensive than the mainland and rubbish quality- this relates to everything- food, clothes, furniture- i sooo miss shops in the UK !!

Isolation- OK its only an hour flight to Melbourne and 1.5 hours to Sydney but its expensive to go anywhere - we used to go on hols all the time in the UK but here even a trip to Melbourne for the weekend is expensive.

Winter- depsite the sun, winter is cold and the houses here don't have insulation, double glazing or central heating so you really feel the cold- bbbbrrrrrr !!!

OH and don't listen to those who say there are no jobs in Tassie- its a lie- if anything its the opposite- theres a skills shortage and i should know, my husband is a recruitment consultant !!. we came here without jobs and both had one within 4 weeks - i actually earn more here than in the UK- office work).

Best of luck

Nat
Does anyone know the cost of living in Launceston, Tasmania? Average 4 bedroom house? Employment opportunities and salary for a social worker and a computer technician? Thanks.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 12:04 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shallwe shantwe
Hi Tea bag....Have been reading your forum...am glad you have done the move cos intrested to know how all goes....we are in Jersey Channel Isles at the moment have been here a few years ...family ...however we have a home in Denmark WA and are desperatly debating whether to return to to Denmark or move your way...I know what you mean about the big open spaces and the intresting things about Taz seem inviting ..so will keep studing up...
Interestingly my two favourite places in Australia so far are Denmark WA and Hobart, Tas.

I would find it difficult to choose.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by busterboy
Interestingly my two favourite places in Australia so far are Denmark WA and Hobart, Tas.

I would find it difficult to choose.

You can't get $69 flights to Melbourne from W.A. actually it would cost more then that in car petrol just to get up to Perth. I would get very bored living in rural W.A.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.