Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking your Pets with you.....

Taking your Pets with you.....

Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Pommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud ofPommy babe has much to be proud of
Default Taking your Pets with you.....

Can anyone tell me how much it costs to take your pet with you when you move to Australia. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback whom we all love dearly, but having read a note at the end of a message last night frightened the life out of me when they said it would cost them in the region of £3,000 to send their cat over :scared: I was, to say the least, stunned at the cost mentioned, if it cost that much for a small cat what about a large dog!!
Anyone would think they were going first class instead of the hold of an aeroplane. Can any one help. Also to anyone out there that has sent a dog how were they at the end of the journey? What company did you use and would you use them again or can anyone recommend a good airline to use.
Thank you
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:52 pm
Loving life in Brissie

cagandchris will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Taking your Pets with you.....

If you do a search you'll find loads of threads on this.
We are taking our dog with Golden Arrow - he is a small-medium sized terrior and it is costing £1,500 including the 30 days quarantine.
£3,000 seems far too expensive for a cat!

Carole

Originally Posted by Pommy babe
Can anyone tell me how much it costs to take your pet with you when you move to Australia. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback whom we all love dearly, but having read a note at the end of a message last night frightened the life out of me when they said it would cost them in the region of £3,000 to send their cat over :scared: I was, to say the least, stunned at the cost mentioned, if it cost that much for a small cat what about a large dog!!
Anyone would think they were going first class instead of the hold of an aeroplane. Can any one help. Also to anyone out there that has sent a dog how were they at the end of the journey? What company did you use and would you use them again or can anyone recommend a good airline to use.
Thank you
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

We have just had a quote for our dog and cat and it was £2500. The dog is a medium sized lurcher (not as big a a greyhound). Hope this helps.

Cheers Jo
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:28 pm
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

We are working out just under £2000 for 2 cats, being about £650 each to the shipping company plus vets bills etc on top. There is a slight reduction for the second but not much.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

ajax4779 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Taking your Pets with you.....

Thank you
I intend to use James Cargo Services when i ship my dogs back to Melbourne.
[phone number 01753 682222]
I spoke to someone at Qantas cargo division a while back and this is the company they recomended.
Also i sometimes wonder appart from the cost just what difference it makes what shipping company is used as the end result is the same. I:e dog spends 23 hours in cargo hold and gets off the other end a bit confused but other wise fine.
The cost is huge but worth it. My three dogs did the trip from Melbourne to Heathrow three years ago and are still in good health.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

pauli71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you
Good idea ? Why not ditch der dog and get a new puppy when you arrive or have it stuffed and take it as hand luggage!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:42 pm
Going stir crazy waiting!

Marie_m is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there, we have a Ridgeback too!! She is just one years old and it will cost us a total of probably £3,000 ish. That was when I got a quote 2 months ago and she has probably grown since then so it may be abit more. She is currently 35kgs in weight and I can't remeber her height off the top of my head but she currently stands to nearly my waist. How old is your Ridgeback? Do you mind me asking if you got her from a breeder? If so which one? When are you planning on being in Aus? And where abouts you going to?
Marie