Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking wine back to australia..

taking wine back to australia..

Old Feb 14th 2003, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future
Default taking wine back to australia..

i have a smal but nice wine collection

a lot from australia but also france and canada

however i've just found out that wine carries a 50+%mport duty

how on earth are they going to work out the tax on an obscure '95 wine from ontario etc??

any ideas'?

because lorna said "heyho we'll have to drink it all then"!!!!!!

cheers

richard
Old Feb 15th 2003, 1:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

That's what we're doing (hic) slowly working our way through the drinks cupboard!

One of our removers said (off the record) you could take the risk and pack it in your container undeclared, but is it worth it?

Loopy
Old Feb 15th 2003, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

well ordinary stuff no not really

but the collectors (and sentimental) wine.......

-Hmmm i'd have to think long and hard about..

cheers

richard
Old Feb 16th 2003, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

dpr21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: taking wine back to australia..

Originally posted by r.bartlett
i have a smal but nice wine collection

a lot from australia but also france and canada

however i've just found out that wine carries a 50+%mport duty

how on earth are they going to work out the tax on an obscure '95 wine from ontario etc??

any ideas'?

because lorna said "heyho we'll have to drink it all then"!!!!!!

cheers

richard
We had the same problem - wouldn't bother bringing the Oz wine or anything from anywhere else that cost little in unless of course you really like it and can't get it here. We had a few cases of good French wine (mainly from Burgundy) and vintage Moet. The best way to think about this is that after all considerations that affect the value of the wine to you - cost availability etc would you NOW buy each bottle of wine at the amount you will pay in duty? If not, then drink it or give it away before you come. Also ensure the wine is OK, for example we had a lot of very old good quality South African wine (believe it or not this exists). Anyway, it was well travelled and the odd bottle was dodgy when opened so we didn't want to take the chance and pay duty on something that might be 'corked' or otherwise no good - what we couldn't drink, we gave to our neighbours before we left.

The valuation of the wine is actually completed by you (well it was by us when we moved 8 months back). We provided them with a list, and valuation of each bottle and a total. Make sure you put the correct number of bottles, give the description and 'value' it - in most cases there are legitimate reasons for understating the value (remember depreciation d.t. travelling blah blah etc) also these guys are hardly going to attach much value to some obscure '95 Canadian 'rotgut' now are they????. We did this, paid the duty (ouch) but it was worth it for the stuff we brought with us.

Hope this helps.

DPR (Perth)
Old Feb 16th 2003, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

i will pass on your comments to my brother-in-law who paid a rather a lot for this..this..canadian rotgut..!!

i guess it just galls me to be bringing in a wine from the very town it came from and them charging me for the privilege....

cheers

richard