taking tv to oz

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:27 pm
hjw
helenj

hjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud of
Default taking tv to oz

Hi we are a family of 4 relocating to perth in august/sept depending on the visa's,kids aged 14 and 18. Just been told by the removal company that if we take our tv's with us that they will not recive australian tv unless we have them converted , does any one know anything about this please?
Also any advise on an 18 year old and how we will be able to get him to settle quickly, he will be going to uni in perth but is anxious about leaving his friends which i can understand bless him! daughter looking forward to it. We are looking at moving into the Canning Vale area we think we liked the look of that area when i went down before xmas also Willerton and Rossmoyne especially for the schools for our 14 year old daughter. I'm finding it hard at moment as hubby is down there at moment and im here in uk, we cant seem to find good times to talk(can argue really well by email though) for any length of time really "blinking stressful". While im here can anyone help with relocation advice fro 2 boxer dogs and a large cat (airtransport etc), having problems finding rentals that will take them and we dont want to leave them behind. Me and kids comming down at easter for 2 weeks so am looking forward to seeing sunny perth again cant wait to feel the sun as it is freezing here. Many thanks a very stressed Helen and kids
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:52 pm
Shaz 'n' Phil

sharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to allsharonhartley is a name known to all
Default Re: taking tv to oz

Originally Posted by hjw
Hi we are a family of 4 relocating to perth in august/sept depending on the visa's,kids aged 14 and 18. Just been told by the removal company that if we take our tv's with us that they will not recive australian tv unless we have them converted , does any one know anything about this please?
Also any advise on an 18 year old and how we will be able to get him to settle quickly, he will be going to uni in perth but is anxious about leaving his friends which i can understand bless him! daughter looking forward to it. We are looking at moving into the Canning Vale area we think we liked the look of that area when i went down before xmas also Willerton and Rossmoyne especially for the schools for our 14 year old daughter. I'm finding it hard at moment as hubby is down there at moment and im here in uk, we cant seem to find good times to talk(can argue really well by email though) for any length of time really "blinking stressful". While im here can anyone help with relocation advice fro 2 boxer dogs and a large cat (airtransport etc), having problems finding rentals that will take them and we dont want to leave them behind. Me and kids comming down at easter for 2 weeks so am looking forward to seeing sunny perth again cant wait to feel the sun as it is freezing here. Many thanks a very stressed Helen and kids
Hiya Helen,

Sorry cant help with kids etc, but TV's you can take with you but can be expensive to convert. Otherwise you could buy a DVD player or Video player and watch TV through these. have you have a look on aussiemove.com, there is loads of information about what you can and cannnot take.

Good Luck

Sharon
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 9:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Louise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond reputeLouise M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hjw
Hi Helen,
Am in exactly the same position as you. My husband leaves friday night and I'm not joining him til august for various reasons. So have to move to rental on my own but my son and a friend will be helping. Have to finish my degree, sort out my daughters prom dress, arrange dog flight and kennels, arrange our flights, sell of furniture I'm not taking, but am taking my TV as you can have a video or dvd player attached and it will work or you can buy a separate "top box". If you use the search button you'll find loads on pet travel
Yes and I'm going balder by the day....
Lou
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:07 pm

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hjw

Hi Helen

as a few others have said ...ship over TV and buy a cheap video/dvd player and it will work fine,regarding your son going to uni our boys (twins of 18) started uni about a month ago and are absolutely loving it..they get treated as grown ups and have both managed to find new sets of friends
completely different from their school days.
Im sure your son will have no trouble in settling in at all...as for your stress levels..welcome to stress city!!

All the best

Jools
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Koala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant future

Yes, it might. See www.koalakonnection.com.au/topic2.htm

Hope this helps.

Paul
www.koalakonnection.com.au
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

If your tvs are digital, you can buy a set top box (about $100 to about $500). Aus is due to go digital soonish so would be worth taking digital tvs.....
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:16 pm
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

I think this one comes up at least once a week...

Anyway, 2 problems:

1. UK transmits TV in PAL I, Australia transmits in PAL B/G. There's a difference in the way the sound is transmitted. This causes the 'picture but no sound' situation.

If your TV gives you a menu option to change the PAL (or 'TV system') setting from I to B/G you won't have that problem. Have a look at the manual if it's still around and see what flavours of PAL it's compatible with.

2. UK transmits all terrestrial TV channels on UHF (Ultra High Frequency - 'Channel' range 21 to 69). Australia transmits TV signals in both VHF (Very High Frequency) and UHF.

Around Sydney 3 channels are on VHF, 2 on UHF (this may be the case everywhere, I'm not sure).

This causes the 'only 2 channels' situation.

If your TV can only pick up UHF (sometimes indicated by a 'U' in the model number) you will only get 2 channels, unless you get an engineer to replace the tuner. This will cost - and may not be worth it if you factor in the age of the TV and shipping costs - and having to wait for it to arrive).

Worst case scenario is 2 channels and no sound.

Best case scenario is a few setting changes using the on-screen menu and everything's fine.

If your TV is a Sony and has got an 'M' in the model number it should be okay.

For what it's worth, I looked into shipping mine but in the end sold it to a friend and bought a new one when I got here.

Hope this helps,

Big.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

caroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura aboutcaroledouglas has a spectacular aura about

We brought all our tvs over and all we had to do was change the plugs. Not dear to do at all. Our pictures and sound are fine.
Carole
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 1:13 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a $49 video player in Oz and get all the terrestial channels through that, no problem.
You can also get the Fox (Sky) box and get their channels too problem with a UK TV.
You can do the same.

However, quality of TV programmes here is awful.

Biggest regret - signing up for 2 years with FoxTel. WIll be cancelling when 2 years is up.

Andrew
Old Mar 24th 2006, 8:06 pm
hjw
helenj

hjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud ofhjw has much to be proud of

Hi Jools thanks for those words of encouragement regading your sons and how well they have settled i showed the message to James and i think he felt resured that his life is not going to end when he leaves Wales. He would have been going to uni here anyway and making new freind he will just be doing it in the sun instead...

Thanks to every one for their advice on taking tvs with us we will probably take them and buy Video/dvd players and see how it goes.

Graham regarding the cat we have been quoted aprox four thousand but before you collapse it is is for the 2 dogs as well as the cat they havnt done idividual quotes, it is bloody expensive that is without quarantine fees and jabs/boosters...

The stress levels are still on high at moment and probaly goign to rise further, never mind going down to perth in 2 weeks for another look to see if we can find an rentals that will take the animals aswell.
Love Helenx

[QUOTE=>Trigger<]Hi Helen

as a few others have said ...ship over TV and buy a cheap video/dvd player and it will work fine,regarding your son going to uni our boys (twins of 18) started uni about a month ago and are absolutely loving it..they get treated as grown ups and have both managed to find new sets of friends
completely different from their school days.
Im sure your son will have no trouble in settling in at all...as for your stress levels..welcome to stress city!!

All the best

Jools[/QUO
Old Mar 25th 2006, 8:35 am
Just Joined

stanleygeorge64 will become famous soon enoughstanleygeorge64 will become famous soon enough

Top tip - bring plenty of DVDs. TV in Oz is pants. Check out saturday night's tv http://tvguide.ninemsn.com.au/guide/...&day=25/3/2006
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:24 pm
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry to be thick here, but if they broadcast in PAL B/G I assume terestial and digital are the same so how does getting a video with a tuner or Foxtel box help as the signal is still the same as well as the TV?

i.e. either your TV supports PAL B/G or not....or does the point at which you take an output from a digibox or VCR via a SCART or component cable the signal is "fixed"...

Am I missing something?

I have two large TVs and keen to know, have dropped a line to Panasonic..

(have TX 36PF10

I've found this product.... www.howtoconvert.co.uk/howpali2palbg.htm
but sounds expensive if a $50 VCR works....

Last edited by RayZor; Mar 28th 2006 at 9:14 pm.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RayZor
Sorry to be thick here, but if they broadcast in PAL B/G I assume terestial and digital are the same so how does getting a video with a tuner or Foxtel box help as the signal is still the same as well as the TV?

i.e. either your TV supports PAL B/G or not....

Am I missing something?

(have TX 36PF10

Yes you are getting analogue confused with Digital.

There will not be a problem with late model tv's as long as you use the AV input ran through a DVD or Set top box.

Pal is an Analogue format. You will almost certainly not be able to get the UK tv to work through the Airiel connection. Hence you must use the AV or Scart/Dvx connections.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 8:45 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by RayZor

i.e. either your TV supports PAL B/G or not....

Am I missing something?

(have TX 36PF10
You have to use a baseband connection (like SCART) between the video (or tuner) and the TV rather than the aerial connection. The baseband connection doesn't use PAL.
Old Mar 28th 2006, 9:20 pm
going "home" soon

RayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of lightRayZor is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
You have to use a baseband connection (like SCART) between the video (or tuner) and the TV rather than the aerial connection. The baseband connection doesn't use PAL.
ok thanks, I think I'm clear(ish) now, it is just the analogue tuner that will not work, if I get FOXTEL or Aussie VCR/tuner or the I>B/G conveerter with SCART then all should be ok...

However, DVD's come in NTSC/PAL/SECAM etc..these are digital formatted pictures....just wondering....what's that all about then? I can switch my TV to NTSC to play USA discs etc....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.