Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking tools into OZ

Taking tools into OZ

Old Nov 19th 2007, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ozzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to allOzzy7 is a name known to all
Default Taking tools into OZ

My OH is an engineer and need's to take some of his tool's into OZ for his new job as an engineer which he will hopefully find over there, he will need some of his tool's straight away, is it ok to pack them into our suitcase? if we ship them over they will obviously take longer to get to OZ.
Also is there anywhere on the net that states what condition the tools have to be in to enter OZ?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:30 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking tools into OZ

Originally Posted by Ozzy7
My OH is an engineer and need's to take some of his tool's into OZ for his new job as an engineer which he will hopefully find over there, he will need some of his tool's straight away, is it ok to pack them into our suitcase? if we ship them over they will obviously take longer to get to OZ.
Also is there anywhere on the net that states what condition the tools have to be in to enter OZ?
The tools have to be just as spotless as anything else, even more so to pass AQIS. In addition, the more tools taken in luggage equals less weight available for other things like clothes, valuables etc. Also be prepared to encounter increased security hassles at the airports, as security/customs will no doubt want to go throught them with a fine tooth comb to check there is nothing hidden. Why not use someone like Excess Baggage?
Old Nov 19th 2007, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

kezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud ofkezzabird has much to be proud of
Default Re: Taking tools into OZ

My other half is a diesel mechanic and also had this dilema.

The tools have to be thoroughly cleaned as mentioned above. If you decide to send the tools by air it costs loads as tools are really heavy they go by weight, I'm not sure exactly but when I investigated it we quickly realised that it wasn't an option.

He was really lucky because in the UK the company he worked for lent him his tools, so he was able to work up to when we left. As we sent them early we only had 5 weeks to wait for them to arrive in Tassie, it would have only been 3 weeks wait if we were on the mainland. The company he is working for now in Tassie have also lent him tools. Its worth asking his employer if they would do this for your husband, they can only say no.

I hope it works out for you, I know its a difficult decision to make.

Kerry