Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking step children.

taking step children.

Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:20 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of
Question taking step children.

my wife has a daughter from a previous relationship (my step daughter) that i haven't adopted, all we have done is change her name to the same as the rest of use as we now have two child with each other. my wife and the father of my step daughter were never married but does have his name on her birth certificate. she was born in 1992.
we have not seen or heard from him in about eight years and had never contributed towards her up keep and have no means of contacting him. i have read the first few pages of the 47SK application that we will need his permission to take her out of the country. can anyone offer any advice or share there experience on this matter. many thanks sparks124.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking step children.

Originally Posted by sparks124
my wife has a daughter from a previous relationship (my step daughter) that i haven't adopted, all we have done is change her name to the same as the rest of use as we now have two child with each other. my wife and the father of my step daughter were never married but does have his name on her birth certificate. she was born in 1992.
we have not seen or heard from him in about eight years and had never contributed towards her up keep and have no means of contacting him. i have read the first few pages of the 47SK application that we will need his permission to take her out of the country. can anyone offer any advice or share there experience on this matter. many thanks sparks124.
You will need either to get his permission or go to court to get permission to take her out of the country. You need to get legal advice but given that there has been no contact it should be pretty straightforward. I got permission for my son to come with us from my exhusband so it was no problem for us. The only possible blip would be if he found out about your plans and decided to put a spanner in the works by refusing permission, however as there has been no contact for such a long time he wouldn't have a very strong case.
Good luck.
Nicky
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:42 pm
s**t rolls down hill

sparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud ofsparks124 has much to be proud of

does the fact that he has no parental responsibility have any effect on this?
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I ticked yes to question 40 and No to question 41.

I haven't had any problems so far, but it might be a good idea for you to ask a solicitor or an agent if you have one.

Mind my son has his step dad's name on his passport, but obviously his "real" (I use that in a very loose sense) dads name on his birth certificate. We haven't seen him for over six years.
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:51 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Not too sure personally. Try running a search as this has been the topic a few times before. Not sure how it stands with you adopting. Was it official or just a change of name?

Cheers

Ginny
Old Dec 13th 2005, 7:58 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if this thread would help..... http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...g+kids+country

Cheers
Ginny
Old Dec 13th 2005, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

you need to get some legal advice but it shouldn't be a problem. Whether you have to go back to court or not will depend on what your original custody order states. If it requires you to get permission to go overseas etc then you will need to go back to court to get this clarified and get an order allowing you to move to OZ.
Good luck with it all as I know that things like this can be a nightmare when they come back and bite you. Hopefully it will all be a formality but you need to make sure that you do it all by the book incase something is picked up on later.
Nicky
Old Dec 13th 2005, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

taylor1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi i had the same situation with my daughter with a partner I never married, we applied to the courts through our solicitor for a statutory declaration stating that we could take my daughter out of the country, my solicitor told the courts we had no contact with the ex for years, he had contributed nothing & had no responsibilities, the courts were more than happy to sign the dec, my ex was notified of the cort date but did not attend it was very simple & not too pricey, good luck Michelle