Taking Prescription Medication into Australia

Taking Prescription Medication into Australia

Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Domenic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking Prescription Medication into Australia

Hi Guys

Please can someone provide advice on the following:

My girlfriend and I have to take the following prescription medication to australia:

Migraine tablets
Special skin creme
Inhalers

We are unsure if we need to take a letter from our doctor's to say that these are prescribed when going through customs upon arrival in Australia.

When I spoke to my doctor's today, I was told that as long as they are in our main luggage rather than hand luggage then a letter is not required!

Can anyone please advise what should be done for taking these into australia, should they be declared and should they go into hand luggage or not?

Many thanks

Dom
Old Aug 29th 2008, 10:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking Prescription Medication into Australia

Originally Posted by Domenic
Hi Guys

My girlfriend and I have to take the following prescription medication to australia:

Migraine tablets
Special skin creme
Inhalers

We are unsure if we need to take a letter from our doctor's to say that these are prescribed when going through customs upon arrival in Australia.

When I spoke to my doctor's today, I was told that as long as they are in our main luggage rather than hand luggage then a letter is not required!

Can anyone please advise what should be done for taking these into australia, should they be declared and should they go into hand luggage or not?

Many thanks

Dom
To be on the safe side ask for a letter. There shouldn't be a problem bringing them in, but you should declare any drugs on entry, and Customs may want to be sure that they are actually for you - I'm thining mainly of the migraine pills. Also, bring them in the packaging and with labels.
Hold luggage would be best - depending on where you transit through, the migraine pills may not actually be legal (Dubai is the place that comes to mind especially here), so if the drugs are in your hold luggage you don't have to worry about having them on your person.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
To be on the safe side ask for a letter. There shouldn't be a problem bringing them in, but you should declare any drugs on entry, and Customs may want to be sure that they are actually for you - I'm thining mainly of the migraine pills. Also, bring them in the packaging and with labels.
Hold luggage would be best - depending on where you transit through, the migraine pills may not actually be legal (Dubai is the place that comes to mind especially here), so if the drugs are in your hold luggage you don't have to worry about having them on your person.
I didn't ask for a letter although might do in future, I did declare them when I went through though as they are steroid medications but they were labelled with my name and address and the issuing pharmacy. Was quite good as we got fast tracked then and didn't have to join the long queue!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:28 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

As a veteran of drugs do not put them in your suitcase keep them in hand luggage to show them have your repeat prescription with them on and you will be fine. But check they are legal in the country you refuel/stop off at.

You can take drugs through in that situation but you would need GP letters I have morphine and codeine and went through abu dhabi with a gp letter fine
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:02 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
As a veteran of drugs do not put them in your suitcase keep them in hand luggage to show them have your repeat prescription with them on and you will be fine. But check they are legal in the country you refuel/stop off at.

You can take drugs through in that situation but you would need GP letters I have morphine and codeine and went through abu dhabi with a gp letter fine
Have to agree with Asher on this one. Prescriptions should be in your hand luggage. If for some reason your hold luggage gets lost you would be without your meds. When we came we brought doctor's notes for my son's meds and mine. They weren't needed, but it was better to be safe than sorry.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point

You won't be allowed to bring onboard the plane any more than 100ml of liquids ie. skin cream, just give the airline call and get them to confirm by email.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

i declared mine and they didnt want to know.

I do wish however that i had brought a huge stash of Migraleve as I cannot find it anywhere here - had 2 migraines in the last week and been very sick and nauseus... they most the chemist would give me was nurofen migraine which was next to useless on a full blown attack.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:44 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homewardbound

I do wish however that i had brought a huge stash of Migraleve as I cannot find it anywhere here - had 2 migraines in the last week and been very sick and nauseus... they most the chemist would give me was nurofen migraine which was next to useless on a full blown attack.
They generally don't want to know when you declare them, same as most food stuffs, but better safe than sorry.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

Originally Posted by homewardbound

So you can't buy 'Imgran' then like you can here in the UK?
Old Aug 29th 2008, 11:39 pm
Feeble Minded

SillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond reputeSillyOldBag has a reputation beyond repute

My fiance has epilepsy and when we went over to the UK for a visit for him to meet my family, we were advised to take a letter from the doctor specifying his condition and the treatment. He's also on strong pain-killers periodically for a knee injury and that was also specified in the letter. Going through Customs was not an issue but the letter proved to be a god-send as he needed to see a doctor while we were in England and it made getting additional medicine MUCH easier.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:35 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stumpysean
So you can't buy 'Imgran' then like you can here in the UK?
Probably. It may just be called something different here. Check for what the ingredients are and look for the Aussie equivelent.
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:08 am
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys

Migraine tablets
Special skin creme
Inhalers

Many thanks

Dom
Get a letter and declare it. They wnat to just check .Keeping it in the lugguage does not change a think - they still have the right tocheck that......get the letter and the medicine and you should be f ine....
Old Aug 30th 2008, 12:23 pm
Forum Regular

Domenic is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I went back to the doctor's yesterday and they were still insistant that a letter was not required

Anyway, I have been put on a phone call list to speak to one of the doctor's at my surgery on Monday to sort it all out!

We are travelling via Hong Kong - how do I find out if the medication is legal or not there?

Thanks guys

Dom
Old Aug 30th 2008, 1:23 pm
Home and Happy

Thanks for all your advice guys.

I went back to the doctor's yesterday and they were still insistant that a letter was not required

Anyway, I have been put on a phone call list to speak to one of the doctor's at my surgery on Monday to sort it all out!

We are travelling via Hong Kong - how do I find out if the medication is legal or not there?

Thanks guys

Dom
SEE HERE
I suggest you print this out and take it to the doctor.

I am travelling to Australia by plane or ship and need to bring my medication with me. What do I need to do?
Provided that your medication IS NOT subject to regulation 5H (or in certain circumstances regulation 5G) of the import regulations you can bring it into Australia for the purpose of treating your own medical condition or treating a passenger who is under your care, provided that you have a prescription or a letter from your doctor to confirm that the medicine was prescribed by a medical practitioner.

Best I can find on Hong Kong is THIS which again suggests that a letter and/or repeat prescription would be good.
I've found imilar info on Hong Kong in a couple of other places, and nothing to suggest that anything as a big risk - not like Dubai and codeine for example.

Last edited by Pollyana; Aug 30th 2008 at 1:39 pm. Reason: Adding Hong Kong
Old Aug 31st 2008, 9:29 am
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I had about a year's worth of prescription medication with me in my hand luggage. No letter from doctor, but obviously everything had my name on it.

Australian customs in Perth weren't interested in the slightest. Had our luggage sniffed by the dogs for food and then x-rayed as well. But we had no food with us and that was it. Waved straight through.

Gina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.