Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking the pooch to Oz

Taking the pooch to Oz

Old Jun 30th 2004, 9:29 am
Mother Bear

Mother Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking the pooch to Oz

Can anyone tell me if they have attempted to take the family pooch to Oz???? Any ideas about airlines, vaccinations, vets etc.

I have downloaded the information from the Oz site AQIS so I know how much etc it will cost once the dog gets there...

Looking forward to hearing from anyone.
Mother Bear
Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

kirsten is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking the pooch to Oz

Originally posted by Mother Bear
Can anyone tell me if they have attempted to take the family pooch to Oz???? Any ideas about airlines, vaccinations, vets etc.

I have downloaded the information from the Oz site AQIS so I know how much etc it will cost once the dog gets there...

Mother Bear
Hi Mother Bear,
We hope to take our dog with us too. He is a bit old so we are not sure if he will be fit for travel but we have started getting his vaccinations etc.
We printed the AQIS information and our vet also told us to call DEFRA to get export documentation.
So our dog had his first vaccination and a microchip implant last week. He is getting more vaccinations next week and the vet has asked us to take along a blank calendar so he can work out the timeline for all the appropriate tests etc up to date of departure.

From reading some other pet export posts on here, i think alot of people use a pet export agency (please let me know if this is wrong!) but we are doing it DIY.

Dont know about arranging flights for him yet but hope this helps....best advice....go and see your vet

Good luck
Kirsten
Old Jun 30th 2004, 11:17 am
BE Enthusiast

BandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond reputeBandS has a reputation beyond repute

Mother Bear
We are using Golden Arrow Shippers to transport our 2 dogs and 2 cats. They have been brilliant.

Check 'Golden Arrow' Thread

Sharon
Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:22 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by kirsten
Hi Mother Bear,
We hope to take our dog with us too. He is a bit old so we are not sure if he will be fit for travel but we have started getting his vaccinations etc.
We printed the AQIS information and our vet also told us to call DEFRA to get export documentation.
So our dog had his first vaccination and a microchip implant last week. He is getting more vaccinations next week and the vet has asked us to take along a blank calendar so he can work out the timeline for all the appropriate tests etc up to date of departure.

From reading some other pet export posts on here, i think alot of people use a pet export agency (please let me know if this is wrong!) but we are doing it DIY.

Dont know about arranging flights for him yet but hope this helps....best advice....go and see your vet

Good luck
Kirsten

We took our dog and two cats to Perth. I started lots of the paperwork myself but in the end it got to complicated so I used a company in Matlock to do it for me. They don't charge a massive amount to do all the relevant paperwork for you.

They arrange the air transport and all the official documents that have to travel with the animals. They tell you exactly when and what to get done on each visit to the vets (Official registered government vets only!)

They seal the containers properly and take them to Heathrow. With all the pressures of organising your move to OZ, it's much easier to get someone to so it all for you.

I would also adivse on getting your pet injected against Rabies, so that they are eligable for the UK Pet passport scheme. I know many of you may not think you are coming back to OZ (I didn't either) but if you decide to and your animal hasn't been vaccinated it takes '7 months' to prepare your pet for return into the UK.

You can get a list of government approved vets rom DEFRA, they will give you a list of the ones closest to you. All paperwork has to be filled in by one of these vets.

Good Luck

Old Jun 30th 2004, 12:30 pm
I'm PR Now!! Yeah!!

Sam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really niceSam&Andy is just really nice

Hi Mother Bear

We are taking our dog "Jacob" with us - we are going to be using Golden Arrow Shippers - They have quite a good reputation - they organise everything for you....

Good luck and hope all goes well...

Cheers

Sam
Old Jun 30th 2004, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

debsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond reputedebsvirgo has a reputation beyond repute

Mother Bear
Hi

We're taking our 4 newfoundlands and using Golden Arrow as well they were by far the cheapest no stress and highly recommended.

All we need to do is blood tests and microchips!!!

Costing £7700 plus quarantine fees the other end $2000 aussie dollars then we gotta get em from Sydney to Brissie

They are worth it though

regards

Debs