Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking plugs off electrical stuff before shipping?

Taking plugs off electrical stuff before shipping?

Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:05 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking plugs off electrical stuff before shipping?

Hi.

Our removal firm (John Mason) has written in their bumpf that we must remove ALL plugs from electrical goods. Did anyone else have to do this? This would mean nothing working when it arrives as our plan was to take loads of power "planks", quite a few adaptors and a shed load of fuses to overcome the problem in the short-mid term?

From what I've read most people shipped with plugs still attached?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking plugs off electrical stuff before shipping?

We never took off a plug, but that was nearly 3 years ago Wouldn't see why you would need to though
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice

It's probably to avoid damage to your appliances from the plug when being packed.

Never been mentioned any of the times I've moved before, and in the end I've just got a load of plugs from Bunnings and swapped them over anyway.
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Hi.

Our removal firm (John Mason) has written in their bumpf that we must remove ALL plugs from electrical goods. Did anyone else have to do this? This would mean nothing working when it arrives as our plan was to take loads of power "planks", quite a few adaptors and a shed load of fuses to overcome the problem in the short-mid term?

Hi we are going with John Mason, and we are not taking plugs off anything. We have brought some extra power planks to take with us. The man said it wasn't a problem.
Sharon
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

There is no reason whay you have to take them off but you should consider that you will have to change them when you get here anyway.

One thing though, if you are anything like us you will have hundreds to change so leave them on the essentials and bring an extension lead or 2 from the UK. That way you only have to change the one plug on the ext lead and can use your stuff without days of plug changing.

Rob
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:36 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

First I've heard of it
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:39 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pioneer
Hi we are going with John Mason, and we are not taking plugs off anything. We have brought some extra power planks to take with us. The man said it wasn't a problem.
Sharon
Are you taking lots of spare fuses because I remember a thread of a week or so ago that claimed that Australian plugs don't use fuses and so they are non-existant in Australia?
Old Jun 7th 2006, 10:50 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

JM seem to be feeding you some interesting lines at the moment, Dun! We didn't have to remove any plugs whatsoever.

I think you've got a jobsworth in that office, trying to make your move as painful as possible. I'd ask them for a logical explanation of their request because I can't think of one. If you want to avoid damage, wrap it in bubblewrap and tape it up!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:05 pm
tin
Brisbane bound

tin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of lighttin is a glorious beacon of light

Hi.

So you're sticking with JM then? We have just had a quote from them and they didn't mention removing plugs. Quote was £2800 for 607 cubic meters (almost a full container apparently?) which seems reasonable. Really liked the guy that came but will get a few more quotes...

Martyn
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:07 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

do you have to pack everthing upside down as well

so its the right way up in oz
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:15 pm
Cleveland, Bayside

Rich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond reputeRich and Angie has a reputation beyond repute

We never took plugs off anything.... PSS did ours and things were fine. Not a mark on anything.

When we got a rental we just went to Bunnings and bought a job lot and Rich changed them.

Word of warning though, dont change the plugs on your mobile chargers
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:16 pm
Account Closed

Paul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant futurePaul&Nic has a brilliant future

Hi.

They did tell us that too, simply because you won't be plugging them into anything over here so get rid of them to start with.

ALTHO!! .... as most people know if you have say a Hi-fi with 4 - 6 plugs on a 6 way adaptor then it makes sense to keep all as it is and simply change the main plug that goes in the wall!

When JM was packing they advised to cut them off things like hairdriers or other single power tools, but ONLY advised!

I've now changed everything over to Aussie plugs that I WILL change, but in the lounge, kids rooms, and where my PC sits there's still a bunch of UK plugs all plugged into a 4 or 6 way adaptor, and I'm NOT changing those for the fun of it!
Old Jun 7th 2006, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

john_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond reputejohn_w has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=
Word of warning though, dont change the plugs on your mobile chargers [/QUOTE]
Now that would be a quick charge :scared:
Old Jun 7th 2006, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of

Are you taking lots of spare fuses because I remember a thread of a week or so ago that claimed that Australian plugs don't use fuses and so they are non-existant in Australia?

No hadn't thought of that, thanks for tip shall mention it to hubby.
Sharon