Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a pillow on an Emirates flight

Taking a pillow on an Emirates flight

Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Marleys Ghost will become famous soon enoughMarleys Ghost will become famous soon enough
Default Taking a pillow on an Emirates flight

Hi all,

I've booked flights to go back to Manchester with Emirates.

I've trolled the internet, and called Emirates, to ask if I can take a 'normal' size feather pillow with me (as carry on baggage) on the flights. The Emirates staff member I spoke to said "as long as it's included in your carry on baggage weight, and fits the hand luggage size".

It doesn't fit the hand luggage size. I could squeeze it into my hand luggage but I wouldn't be able to fit anything else in the bag. I'll be stopping over in Dubai for 21 hrs on the way there, and 17 hrs on the way back home, so I need to have a change of clothes/toiletries etc.

On some sites it says that "as long as you're not going to take up space in the overhead luggage space, you can take a pillow".

Long story cut short (finally) have any of you turned up to check in with Emirates and been told you can't take your pillow? Also, including the weight of the pillow, I won't be taking more than 5kgs of carry on baggage on the flights.

I do hope someone can help me

MG
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking a pillow on an Emirates flight

Originally Posted by Marleys Ghost
Hi all,

I've trolled the internet, and called Emirates, to ask if I can take a 'normal' size feather pillow with me (as carry on baggage) on the flights. The Emirates staff member I spoke to said "as long as it's included in your carry on baggage weight, and fits the hand luggage size".

It doesn't fit the hand luggage size. I could squeeze it into my hand luggage but I wouldn't be able to fit anything else in the bag. I'll be stopping over in Dubai for 21 hrs on the way there, and 17 hrs on the way back home, so I need to have a change of clothes/toiletries etc.

On some sites it says that "as long as you're not going to take up space in the overhead luggage space, you can take a pillow".

Long story cut short (finally) have any of you turned up to check in with Emirates and been told you can't take your pillow? Also, including the weight of the pillow, I won't be taking more than 5kgs of carry on baggage on the flights.

MG
Have you considered a small suitcase with wheels and handle? I fly Emirates frequently and constantly amazed at the size of luggage people bring into the cabins. Just a thought FWIW - something which will take a pillow and your other things.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe use one of those compressing bags to squash it down before checking in? Then it won't take up as much space as you think..
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Can you bring a feather pillow back inti Australia????
Old Apr 5th 2013, 12:52 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Marleys Ghost
Hi all,

MG
I have a travel pillow that is 2/3rds the size of a normal pillow and compresses down to nothing

Maybe look into something like that
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Don't they provide pillows on planes any more?
Old Apr 6th 2013, 1:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Our kids always carry a full size pillow with them on both domestic and international flights, never had any problems.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 2:29 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have a nice GP? Get them to write a letter saying you need the pillow!
Old Apr 6th 2013, 6:19 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
Can you bring a feather pillow back inti Australia????
It'll need declaring and then might be allowed in
Old Apr 6th 2013, 8:11 am
Forum Regular

Marleys Ghost will become famous soon enoughMarleys Ghost will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Taking a pillow on an Emirates flight

Hi,

Many thanks to all who have replied.

I didn't think about it being a feather pillow and so won't take a feather one.

I'll buy a smaller synthetic one and squeeze the life out of it and pack it inside my bag.

They do still hand out pillows on flights, but in the past I didn't think they were very good.

I've always used the cabin size wheeled cases, but they weigh over three kilos empty, so am opting for a lighter bag. I've actually been sussing out lightweight bags that have wheels so that might be the way to go.

Thanks again everyone.

MG
Old Apr 6th 2013, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
It'll need declaring and then might be allowed in
I brought my feather pillow when we came over. I declared it on arrival and was waved through with a big smile.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 7:36 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I brought my feather pillow when we came over. I declared it on arrival and was waved through with a big smile.
Did you tell Customs it was your blanky?!

Last edited by Alfresco; Apr 6th 2013 at 7:41 pm. Reason: Hit wrong button. Ooops.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Did you tell Customs it was your blanky?!
Yes indeed! They also said Welcome to Australia.
Old Apr 6th 2013, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

canadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond reputecanadaeh has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I went with emirates I had similar long stopovers, after poking around on the emirates site I found they include a stay at the airport hotel if te stop is more than 10 hours, I calle them about it and they booked it for me.... No one had told me about it at all, not emirates or the travel agent.

Have a look on the emirates site, it was in their section "stopovers" last time and see if they still do it.

....had a quick look, seems the still do it, for economy class it's for stop overs more than 8 hours and less than 24 on qualifying tickets... So contact them and check urs out.. Here:

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...i-connect.aspx

Last edited by canadaeh; Apr 6th 2013 at 8:43 pm.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:41 am
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

My daughter is a flight attendant with Emirates, I would not hesitate to take a pillow you will be fine, not sure about a feather one though, buy a synthetic one to be on the safe side. The baggage allowance is great, couldnt believe the amount of stuff people were taking onboard when I last flew (Xmas time) looked like a whole house move for some of them, haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.