British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Taking a pillow on an Emirates flight (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/taking-pillow-emirates-flight-792991/)

Marleys Ghost Apr 5th 2013 11:04 am

Taking a pillow on an Emirates flight

Hi all,

I've booked flights to go back to Manchester with Emirates.

I've trolled the internet, and called Emirates, to ask if I can take a 'normal' size feather pillow with me (as carry on baggage) on the flights. The Emirates staff member I spoke to said "as long as it's included in your carry on baggage weight, and fits the hand luggage size".

It doesn't fit the hand luggage size. I could squeeze it into my hand luggage but I wouldn't be able to fit anything else in the bag. I'll be stopping over in Dubai for 21 hrs on the way there, and 17 hrs on the way back home, so I need to have a change of clothes/toiletries etc.

On some sites it says that "as long as you're not going to take up space in the overhead luggage space, you can take a pillow".

Long story cut short (finally) have any of you turned up to check in with Emirates and been told you can't take your pillow? Also, including the weight of the pillow, I won't be taking more than 5kgs of carry on baggage on the flights.

I do hope someone can help me :)

MG

OzTennis Apr 5th 2013 11:45 am

Re: Taking a pillow on an Emirates flight

Originally Posted by Marleys Ghost (Post 10641703)
Hi all,

I've trolled the internet, and called Emirates, to ask if I can take a 'normal' size feather pillow with me (as carry on baggage) on the flights. The Emirates staff member I spoke to said "as long as it's included in your carry on baggage weight, and fits the hand luggage size".

It doesn't fit the hand luggage size. I could squeeze it into my hand luggage but I wouldn't be able to fit anything else in the bag. I'll be stopping over in Dubai for 21 hrs on the way there, and 17 hrs on the way back home, so I need to have a change of clothes/toiletries etc.

On some sites it says that "as long as you're not going to take up space in the overhead luggage space, you can take a pillow".

Long story cut short (finally) have any of you turned up to check in with Emirates and been told you can't take your pillow? Also, including the weight of the pillow, I won't be taking more than 5kgs of carry on baggage on the flights.

MG

Have you considered a small suitcase with wheels and handle? I fly Emirates frequently and constantly amazed at the size of luggage people bring into the cabins. Just a thought FWIW - something which will take a pillow and your other things.

NickyC Apr 5th 2013 11:51 am

Maybe use one of those compressing bags to squash it down before checking in? Then it won't take up as much space as you think..

eddie007 Apr 5th 2013 11:53 am

Can you bring a feather pillow back inti Australia????:blink:

Amazulu Apr 5th 2013 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Marleys Ghost (Post 10641703)
Hi all,

MG

I have a travel pillow that is 2/3rds the size of a normal pillow and compresses down to nothing

Maybe look into something like that

Bermudashorts Apr 5th 2013 10:19 pm

Don't they provide pillows on planes any more? :blink:

Kim67 Apr 6th 2013 1:46 am

Our kids always carry a full size pillow with them on both domestic and international flights, never had any problems.

spouse of scouse Apr 6th 2013 2:29 am

Do you have a nice GP? Get them to write a letter saying you need the pillow!

Pollyana Apr 6th 2013 6:19 am

Originally Posted by eddie007 (Post 10641763)
Can you bring a feather pillow back inti Australia????:blink:

It'll need declaring and then might be allowed in

Marleys Ghost Apr 6th 2013 8:11 am

Hi,

Many thanks to all who have replied.

I didn't think about it being a feather pillow and so won't take a feather one.

I'll buy a smaller synthetic one and squeeze the life out of it and pack it inside my bag.

They do still hand out pillows on flights, but in the past I didn't think they were very good.

I've always used the cabin size wheeled cases, but they weigh over three kilos empty, so am opting for a lighter bag. I've actually been sussing out lightweight bags that have wheels so that might be the way to go.

Thanks again everyone.

MG:)

Alfresco Apr 6th 2013 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 10642985)
It'll need declaring and then might be allowed in

I brought my feather pillow when we came over. I declared it on arrival and was waved through with a big smile. :thumbup:

spouse of scouse Apr 6th 2013 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 10643786)
I brought my feather pillow when we came over. I declared it on arrival and was waved through with a big smile. :thumbup:

Did you tell Customs it was your blanky?!

Alfresco Apr 6th 2013 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse (Post 10643795)
Did you tell Customs it was your blanky?!

Yes indeed! They also said Welcome to Australia. ;)

canadaeh Apr 6th 2013 8:36 pm

Last time I went with emirates I had similar long stopovers, after poking around on the emirates site I found they include a stay at the airport hotel if te stop is more than 10 hours, I calle them about it and they booked it for me.... No one had told me about it at all, not emirates or the travel agent.

Have a look on the emirates site, it was in their section "stopovers" last time and see if they still do it.

....had a quick look, seems the still do it, for economy class it's for stop overs more than 8 hours and less than 24 on qualifying tickets... So contact them and check urs out.. Here:

http://www.emirates.com/english/plan...i-connect.aspx

bluekipper Apr 8th 2013 4:41 am

My daughter is a flight attendant with Emirates, I would not hesitate to take a pillow you will be fine, not sure about a feather one though, buy a synthetic one to be on the safe side. The baggage allowance is great, couldnt believe the amount of stuff people were taking onboard when I last flew (Xmas time) looked like a whole house move for some of them, haha