Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking pets as excess baggage...

Taking pets as excess baggage...

Old Sep 10th 2007, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

trace141 will become famous soon enough
Default Taking pets as excess baggage...

I have heard that you can take your pets as excess baggage on some airlines from the UK to OZ..Has anyone done this, I have a border collie and really want to go on the same flight as her...any advice would be appreciated..

Tracey
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking pets as excess baggage...

Shall I say it or will someone else?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:02 am
Forum Regular

BullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud ofBullcreekBob has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MartinH
Shall I say it or will someone else?
I think some one else should
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:25 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Taking pets as excess baggage...

Originally Posted by BullcreekBob
I think some one else should
I know border collies are intelligent, perhaps you could you disguise it with make-up and clothes and pass it off as a really hairy child?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

Originally Posted by trace141
I have heard that you can take your pets as excess baggage on some airlines from the UK to OZ..Has anyone done this, I have a border collie and really want to go on the same flight as her...any advice would be appreciated..

Tracey
its ok as long as its classed as hand baggage and does not bark too much....
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia. Thats down and to the right from UK.
znaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to allznaylor1974 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tony s
its ok as long as its classed as hand baggage and does not bark too much....
Don't listen to them Tracey, they're all fools!!

Unfortunately you can't take animals or people as excess baggage. There's a cruelty issue which we won't discuss, but also one of transporting animals, disease and passports.

Have a search for threads on here and you'll get some answers.

Z
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Stella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to allStella340 is a name known to all

My neighbour took her cat on a flight from the UK to Austria (not Australia ) she did take it on as hand luggage but it really does depend on the airline and where you are flying to. I think the EU is ok but it is down to the airline. No long haul flight would let you do it though, quarantine issues, pet safety, animal cruelty etc.

My neighbour said her cat meowed for the whole journey, I bet the other passengers were really impressed

You might be able to go on the same flight as your dog (of course not with the dog in the passenger area) but it'd take some effort to try and tie all your bookings up together. Our exporter said pets are on many flights but the passengers don't realise, obviously because you don't see them. Speak to a pet exporter (we used airpets) and once you've paid they can confirm which flight they've booked your dog on. But then it's probably down to luck whether you get yourselves booked on the same flight.

Last edited by Stella340; Sep 11th 2007 at 11:38 am.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to beholdGonnago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stella340
My neighbour took her cat on a flight from the UK to Austria (not Australia ) she did take it on as hand luggage but it really does depend on the airline and where you are flying to. I think the EU is ok but it is down to the airline. No long haul flight would let you do it though, quarantine issues, pet safety, animal cruelty etc.

My neighbour said her cat meowed for the whole journey, I bet the other passengers were really impressed

You might be able to go on the same flight as your dog (of course not with the dog in the passenger area) but it'd take some effort to try and tie all your bookings up together. Our exporter said pets are on many flights but the passengers don't realise, obviously because you don't see them. Speak to a pet exporter (we used airpets) and once you've paid they can confirm which flight they've booked your dog on. But then it's probably down to luck whether you get yourselves booked on the same flight.
Paris hilton carries her dog in a handbag - it could work!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

windog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to beholdwindog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gonnago
Paris hilton carries her dog in a handbag - it could work!
I thought Paris Hilton wasthe dog!
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

trace141 will become famous soon enough

Hi..

thanks for your comments...much appreciated but i have managed to speak to the Airlines direct and i can travel with her on Air New Zealand from the UK to OZ and on quantas in australia where she is classed as excess baggage.which keeps the cost down.

Tracey
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

tony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nicetony s is just really nice

you havin a laff
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi..

thanks for your comments...much appreciated but i have managed to speak to the Airlines direct and i can travel with her on Air New Zealand from the UK to OZ and on quantas in australia where she is classed as excess baggage.which keeps the cost down.

Tracey
have you included the pooper scooper in that price, cos they are quite dear.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:41 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

I have managed to speak to the Airlines direct and I can travel with her on Air New Zealand from the UK to OZ.
Indeed you can - but only on 1 April!

Gina
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi..

Tracey
Remind me to use a different airline
"Ladies and gentlemen we are now on finals for Brisbane, please stow all pets in the overhead lockers......" and can you imagine the chaos in arrivals if they really did go as excess baggage in the hold....sailing down the shute onto the conveyor belt, and Mr Smith beating up Mr Jones cos the dog has cr*pped on his suitcase
Old Sep 11th 2007, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Lornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to all

Hi..

Tracey
r u taking the pi$$!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.