Taking the PC

Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

Nige37 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking the PC

I'm giving this PC to my mum when we go so she can keep in touch and so on, thats if she can manage to switch it on after taking a course.
My question is, should i buy a new PC here, as there seem to a lot of good deals about, or should i wait and get one when i get there?
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Taking the PC

Originally posted by Nige37
I'm giving this PC to my mum when we go so she can keep in touch and so on, thats if she can manage to switch it on after taking a course.
My question is, should i buy a new PC here, as there seem to a lot of good deals about, or should i wait and get one when i get there?
just looked on dell, dimesion 4600 for eg is 749 in uk and 791 in oz. if you buy here you could get stung for import tax. not much difference in price, check the spec, and probably buy one in oz

andy
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Andy, it wont have to go through the trauma of the transport.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

andy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant futureandy thomas has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Nige37
Cheers Andy, it wont have to go through the trauma of the transport.
that was only one eg, sure you will do better if u shop around when u get there
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:55 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

UK monitors might get distorted by the reverse of the magnetic field.

For pricing comparisons check out www.dell.co.uk , www.dell.com.au www.ht.com.au www.i-tech.com.au www.arc.com.au .

Very few people seem to declare their PCs so avoid GST. The advantage of buying here is warranty is easier to deal with and you do not have to wait for your shipping.

I brought my motherboard and HDD over in my suitcase and rebuilt with a new case and monitor a day after arriving. Having a PC quick helps with internet banking and job hunting.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by bondipom
UK monitors might get distorted by the reverse of the magnetic field.

For pricing comparisons check out www.dell.co.uk , www.dell.com.au www.ht.com.au www.i-tech.com.au www.arc.com.au .

Very few people seem to declare their PCs so avoid GST. The advantage of buying here is warranty is easier to deal with and you do not have to wait for your shipping.

I brought my motherboard and HDD over in my suitcase and rebuilt with a new case and monitor a day after arriving. Having a PC quick helps with internet banking and job hunting.
Thanks for that, whats that about the reverse of the what, lol.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 10:23 pm

I thought the same myself but the up down component of the earths magnetic field is reversed down here. A lot of TVs and monitors are hemispere specific and may suffer distortion if used in the wrong hemispere.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:10 pm
Born to be ignored

JaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond reputeJaneandJim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
I thought the same myself but the up down component of the earths magnetic field is reversed down here. A lot of TVs and monitors are hemispere specific and may suffer distortion if used in the wrong hemispere.
I didn't know that either, but none of our monitors have had a problem. Perhaps its certain brands?

Jane
Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:12 pm

Originally posted by JaneandJim
I didn't know that either, but none of our monitors have had a problem. Perhaps its certain brands?

Jane
Apparently not all monitors/tvs are affected.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Now theres a thought, if you brought a UK bathtub with you, would it work here, or would the water rotating down the plughole in the opposite direction cause problems?