Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking our dog and moggie: just read something weird, can you help?

Taking our dog and moggie: just read something weird, can you help?

Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:22 am
Wanna be in Melbourne

YogiDeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Taking our dog and moggie: just read something weird, can you help?

Hi All, I hope someone can help!

I've just been reading old threads and apparently some councils in Oz have really strict rules about letting cats out at night and others don't like you to let your cat out at all ?? We're hoping to go to the Mornington Peninsula, Melbourne.

Can anyone help with this please, I had it all sorted out in my head that we would take our 9month-old Vizsla dog and our 4year-old cat no matter what the cost (don't tell my hubby though, I was waiting for a romantic moment to let him in on this )

Has anyone been through the process of taking their animals with them and if so what carrier did you use? And how did the animals - and you - cope ? And what DID it cost?

So many questions so little time...but we love them to bits and couldn't leave them behind. I felt really sad for some of you after reading that you've had to leave your pets here.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 11:59 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking our dog and moggie: just read something weird, can you help?

Originally Posted by YogiDeb

I've just been reading old threads and apparently some councils in Oz have really strict rules about letting cats out at night and others don't like you to let your cat out at all ?? We're hoping to go to the Mornington Peninsula, Melbourne.

Can anyone help with this please, I had it all sorted out in my head that we would take our 9month-old Vizsla dog and our 4year-old cat no matter what the cost (don't tell my hubby though, I was waiting for a romantic moment to let him in on this )

Has anyone been through the process of taking their animals with them and if so what carrier did you use? And how did the animals - and you - cope ? And what DID it cost?

So many questions so little time...but we love them to bits and couldn't leave them behind. I felt really sad for some of you after reading that you've had to leave your pets here.
Hi Debbie
yes I've seen this too, why not try emailing the Mornington council directly and ask how you stop a cat roaming?!
Just found this - you have to use a cat pen!!!
http://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/conten...pid=&cnid=1317
Helen
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:00 pm
Wanna be in Melbourne

Unhappy Re: Taking our dog and moggie: just read something weird, can you help?

Originally Posted by helinuk
Hi Debbie
yes I've seen this too, why not try emailing the Mornington council directly and ask how you stop a cat roaming?!
Just found this - you have to use a cat pen!!!
http://www.mornpen.vic.gov.au/conten...pid=&cnid=1317
Helen

Thanks for the link Helen - seems very strange, even though I have tried to see it from the other point of view and I know that some people find cats a pest.

I just wonder how owners CAN 'ensure that cats stay on their property at all times'. Also, I wonder how many people flout the rules and if it's just one of those rules that nobody takes any notice of? How on earth can I REALLY know without living there :scared:

Good idea though (thanks again) I think I must e-mail the council before dragging poor Trexy half way across the world in a crate looking for a better life, and then having to keep him inside the house. He'd never forgive me would he? I'll post here with what I find for anyone interested for their poor moggy.

Debbie x
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:03 pm
Wanna be in Melbourne

Thanks for the link Helen - seems very strange, even though I have tried to see it from the other point of view and I know that some people find cats a pest.

I just wonder how owners CAN 'ensure that cats stay on their property at all times'. Also, I wonder how many people flout the rules and if it's just one of those rules that nobody takes any notice of? How on earth can I REALLY know without living there :scared:

Good idea though (thanks again) I think I must e-mail the council before dragging poor Trexy half way across the world in a crate looking for a better life, and then having to keep him inside the house. He'd never forgive me would he? I'll post here with what I find for anyone interested for their poor moggy.

Debbie x

Helen -

just realised now what you meant by PEN (eek - a crate!!) How awful... Thought it was a joke.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie x
Debbie we've had this thread a while ago. Someone said its because cats can do a lot of harm to wildlife. Perhaps the Melbourne folk can answer your questions. Imagine they are in bed now. Could try PM ing them?!
Hx
Old Aug 19th 2004, 1:28 pm
Wanna be in Melbourne

Have just read all the info on the above site and I'm stunned. I wouldn't be able to stop our cat from roaming, even with him being a gentle and very soppy-natured Siamese. I certainly wouldn't be able to keep him in the garden and he'd end up hating me for keeping him indoors - who could keep a cat indoors? AND this law means that neighbours can pick up a cat crate (wire box) from the council and 'trap' a cat that they find on their property.

Oh dear.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Another problem would seem to be protecting your cat from the native creatures. A woman I work with has just had her cat back from the vet for the third time after attacks by crows. This time it has lost 1/3 of its fur, loads of stitches, and worst of all had to have a leg amputated because it was broken so badly.
I don't want to scare anyone, but maybe indoors is the best place for a cat in Oz? Crows here are as big as Tower of London ravens, and certainly look capable of damage.

As for dogs - the Aussie thing seems to be to lock them in the garden, day and night. Walking down our road this evening, there were no less than 12, sitting at gates, barking or howling. Sounded like Battersea on a bad day. We have one next door that often barks all night, it's left outside and obviously thinks it should bark at every flipping insect.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 2:45 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

dont they have 'doggy doors'? my cats and dogs wouldnt know what to do. they help themselves in or out anytime they want to. how about tall privacy fences. are there any of those?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 3:54 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

There are a few councils in Melbourne that ban cats from going out after dark but how the hell they police it Ive no idea. My two cats often stay out at night, we just make sure they have nice noisy bells fitted to there collars so any birds can hear them coming. I have noticed though that we have one or two deaf blackbirds around.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:10 pm
Hello from Brisbane

irishmolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Have just read all the info on the above site and I'm stunned. I wouldn't be able to stop our cat from roaming, even with him being a gentle and very soppy-natured Siamese. I certainly wouldn't be able to keep him in the garden and he'd end up hating me for keeping him indoors - who could keep a cat indoors? AND this law means that neighbours can pick up a cat crate (wire box) from the council and 'trap' a cat that they find on their property.

Oh dear.
Is it not after a certain time in the evening that cats are to be kept indoors ? I thought they were OK to roam during the daytime ?

As I write this my dog is 35,000ft in the sky flying with British Airways (using Airpets) enroute to Brisbane after a short stop in Singapore. 30 days quarantine before we are reunited

Hope your cats will be OK, check out the 'official' line from the local council in the area you are thinking to moving to.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 4:47 pm
Wanna be in Melbourne

Originally Posted by Bordy
There are a few councils in Melbourne that ban cats from going out after dark but how the hell they police it Ive no idea. My two cats often stay out at night, we just make sure they have nice noisy bells fitted to there collars so any birds can hear them coming. I have noticed though that we have one or two deaf blackbirds around.

Hi Bordy,

Ha ha...poor blackbirds!!

Mornington Peninsula Shire says: "It is an offence for the cat to be outside the owners premises day or night" If it was just nightime it would be easier, but keeping the cat in daytime as well! As you said how DO they police this? Have you heard any friends there or anyone at work etc talking about this issue? I am really undecided about what to do now...

By the way...love your new avatar - very manly, even a bit butch dare I say?
Old Aug 19th 2004, 5:00 pm
Wanna be in Melbourne

Originally Posted by irishmolly
Is it not after a certain time in the evening that cats are to be kept indoors ? I thought they were OK to roam during the daytime ?

As I write this my dog is 35,000ft in the sky flying with British Airways (using Airpets) enroute to Brisbane after a short stop in Singapore. 30 days quarantine before we are reunited

Hope your cats will be OK, check out the 'official' line from the local council in the area you are thinking to moving to.
Irishmolly,

Hope your dog is okay when he arrives, though I'm sure he will be fine. But it does seem an awfully long way and must be very frightening for the dog/cat. Were you concerned or did Airpets handle everything well and reassure you.

Do you mind sharing with us what it cost you too? What sort of dog, how old etc? Also obviously you travelled first and your dog came after?

Our old dog came from South Africa to England with us 12 years ago and we sent her first, it seemed to work well because we sent her to quarantine kennels here (6 months) near to where my mum was living at the time so 'grandma' used to visit her before we arrived. (Why are otherwise sane people suddenly ga ga when pets are involved ).
Old Aug 19th 2004, 6:27 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bordy,

Ha ha...poor blackbirds!!

Mornington Peninsula Shire says: "It is an offence for the cat to be outside the owners premises day or night" If it was just nightime it would be easier, but keeping the cat in daytime as well! As you said how DO they police this? Have you heard any friends there or anyone at work etc talking about this issue? I am really undecided about what to do now...

By the way...love your new avatar - very manly, even a bit butch dare I say?
Thanks Debs, "he says in a deep manly voice". Ive never heard of that before. I'll see what I can find out though.
Old Aug 19th 2004, 7:10 pm
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi yogideb,

I grew up in Melb and have had cats all my life. I now live in the UK and will be bringing my cats back with me. I know that councils have very stick laws and i accept them. Many cat lovers abide by them. ITs simple really just lock your cat in at nightime and let them out throughout the day. I did that for the fist two years i lived over here out of habbit and my cats were fine. Talk to your neighbours if you are worried about your cat going on their property aussies aren't that vindictive that they won't chat to you about your cat being a nuisance first, but most likely they'll squirt itwith water and that's enough to deter any cat!!

I wouldn't be too worried cats are very adaptable.....as long as you provide a cat loo for night in, you shouldn't have any worries.

Katy
Old Aug 19th 2004, 9:02 pm
Wanna be in Melbourne

Originally Posted by katyjoy
Hi yogideb,

I grew up in Melb and have had cats all my life. I now live in the UK and will be bringing my cats back with me. I know that councils have very stick laws and i accept them. Many cat lovers abide by them. ITs simple really just lock your cat in at nightime and let them out throughout the day. I did that for the fist two years i lived over here out of habbit and my cats were fine. Talk to your neighbours if you are worried about your cat going on their property aussies aren't that vindictive that they won't chat to you about your cat being a nuisance first, but most likely they'll squirt itwith water and that's enough to deter any cat!!

I wouldn't be too worried cats are very adaptable.....as long as you provide a cat loo for night in, you shouldn't have any worries.

Katy

Thanks for that Katy. Definitely something for me to think about...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.