Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking Non furniture items - just personal stuff & laptops>PLEASE HELP!

taking Non furniture items - just personal stuff & laptops>PLEASE HELP!

Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default taking Non furniture items - just personal stuff & laptops>PLEASE HELP!

has anyone taken very little but used one of the removals eg pickfords etc etc . do they do a 1/4 container. have done a search but only half containers! We are going to take very little eg clothes, boooks photos laptops only - no furniture no duvets no nothing just things that we cant buy again eg photos cameras laptops etc. air freight seems expensive and a containers seem to take too much!
please help!!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:11 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

hi there.

I had a look the other day at a few shipping companies on the t'interweb. i'm in a similar position, although after further thought i think i'll be after a 1/2 container.

Anyway, i think pickfords do offer a shared container, you just use what space you need and they put it in to a container where it will fit... or that's the way in understood it. You may be sharing with more than 1 other person and then it all gets sorted at the other end.

I've not got that far in to the process yet so if i'm wrong i'm sure someone more in the know will say.
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Re: taking Non furniture items - just personal stuff & laptops>PLEASE HELP!

Originally posted by salonit
has anyone taken very little but used one of the removals eg pickfords etc etc . do they do a 1/4 container. have done a search but only half containers! We are going to take very little eg clothes, boooks photos laptops only - no furniture no duvets no nothing just things that we cant buy again eg photos cameras laptops etc. air freight seems expensive and a containers seem to take too much!
please help!!

Hiya - I'm in the same situ as you. Someone I know suggested I contact GBLiners. I haven't done anything about it yet. If I found anything out though will let you know. If you could do the same I'd appreciate it. I reckon I'll only need a quarter container as well.
Cheers,
T
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Default Re: taking Non furniture items - just personal stuff & laptops>PLEASE HELP!

few of us in the same boat ( haha!) am sure somebody will be able to help!!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

wombat is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you looked on www.excessbaggage.com
we got a quote from them for 50 cubic feet £700

lucy
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:37 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry not very helpful here.......but we used Pickfords and loved them 40ft container door to door six weeks. Part loads can take a lot longer but if not waiting on essentials it is the way to go. 40ft cost us about 5k+ british pounds so a quarter of that is BP1250. (sorry no pound key). If coming to Sydney and want to fill a 1/4 load and make it pounds well spent then ask on the site and maybe a few of us will ask you to bring a few things! I know about the under 12 months old and duty etc!

My request
- boxes of M&S Knickers various sizes (and yes all for personal use)
- my wooden blinds I left behind, and I know now they will get through, even if they have to take them off the mates/family windows they were donated to!
- ready made curtains (send you the sizes)
- paint pots, I must have left in garage!!, Dulux paler shades of white etc

My requests are all serious....PLEASE!

Anyway all above apart .......see if you can get someone on this site going the same place to share a part load? But bring as much as possible is the main advice!

Cheers
Old Apr 7th 2004, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Sandra
Sorry not very helpful here.......but we used Pickfords and loved them 40ft container door to door six weeks. Part loads can take a lot longer but if not waiting on essentials it is the way to go. 40ft cost us about 5k+ british pounds so a quarter of that is BP1250. (sorry no pound key). If coming to Sydney and want to fill a 1/4 load and make it pounds well spent then ask on the site and maybe a few of us will ask you to bring a few things! I know about the under 12 months old and duty etc!

My request
- boxes of M&S Knickers various sizes (and yes all for personal use)
- my wooden blinds I left behind, and I know now they will get through, even if they have to take them off the mates/family windows they were donated to!
- ready made curtains (send you the sizes)
- paint pots, I must have left in garage!!, Dulux paler shades of white etc

My requests are all serious....PLEASE!

Anyway all above apart .......see if you can get someone on this site going the same place to share a part load? But bring as much as possible is the main advice!

Cheers
going to perth sorry!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

melbournebound is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
I was in the same boat as previous posters until last friday, when we sent our belongings (just personal bits, etc - no furniture), the term that you are looking for is groupage. We sent out over 25 boxes of stuff with a removal firm in Belfast "McGimpsys" very professional crowd, two guys turned up at the pre arranged time with plenty of packing materials. They repacked wifes precious ornaments, etc 2 hours taken. Boxes now part of container heading for Melbourne, they will arrive in 6 weeks - 3 weeks after we arrive.
The removal costs were £631 including £161 insurance to cover £3000 replacement value - we were expecting to pay £700 plus insurance.

Wont be long before were in Melbourne 21/2 weeks and counting.......
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:18 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

please help!!
If all you have is able to be self-packed into boxes (ie., no large furniture type bits) contact me and I can give you the number of a great guy who is MD of the London branch of one of the large shipping companies. They sell the space to the removalists, who sell it to you at twice the price!

He has just brought in 15 boxes of mine from the States.

And he's an Aussie!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Rog Williams
If all you have is able to be self-packed into boxes (ie., no large furniture type bits) contact me and I can give you the number of a great guy who is MD of the London branch of one of the large shipping companies. They sell the space to the removalists, who sell it to you at twice the price!

And he's an Aussie!

Just sent you a PM!
Old Apr 7th 2004, 6:51 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Rog Williams

And he's an Aussie!
Rog,

Sent you a pm too!

Elaine M
Old Apr 7th 2004, 9:11 pm
Me, 2 kids and the wife

clevs is an unknown quantity at this point

please help!!

Hi

London Freight will give a quote for cubic 2 feet, as we are only taking personal effects. Good service as well

Lara
Old Apr 7th 2004, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

We took just clothing, personal effects and so on. Had it packed in cardboard boxes, with a brief inventory of each box.

We had it air freighted to Sydney, and I believe it cost us about 300 quid. The total weight was around 80kg.

The advantage was we had our gear to hand just a couple of days after we ourselves arrived.
Old Apr 8th 2004, 8:40 pm
Monkey

In article <[email protected]>,
member528@british_expats.com (Sandra) wrote:

> - boxes of M&S Knickers various sizes (and yes
    > all for personal use)

How does this work then? Different sizes worn depending on how many
choccies eaten that week? ;-)

Paul