Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking new stuff to Oz

Taking new stuff to Oz

Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future
Default Taking new stuff to Oz

Can i just ask if anyone has taken stuff to Oz under 12 months old, coz I'm thinking of buying a new Kitchen Aid Mixer, as when I was in Oz in August they are more expensive than the UK, do you think that I could get away with saying I've had it 12 months but just not used it
Got shippers coming in 17 days, am here on my own and running round like a loony
Andrea
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:28 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking new stuff to Oz

Originally Posted by andreak
Can i just ask if anyone has taken stuff to Oz under 12 months old, coz I'm thinking of buying a new Kitchen Aid Mixer, as when I was in Oz in August they are more expensive than the UK, do you think that I could get away with saying I've had it 12 months but just not used it
Got shippers coming in 17 days, am here on my own and running round like a loony
Andrea
Something like that they are highly unlikely to bother about - they are after high value stuff, which may well be imported to sell on.

Last edited by Pollyana; Oct 10th 2008 at 9:31 am.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:35 am
Swollen Member

Dougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud ofDougie has much to be proud of

Pollyana, do you think i decent 40-50inch plasma would fall into this catorgory??

Really fancy one over there but there prices are alot dearer for some reason so close to where they are made but it would be too big for our house here so would end up staying in the box ??

Dougie
Old Oct 10th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

andreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant futureandreak has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Something like that they are highly unlikely to bother about - they are after high value stuff, which may well be imported to sell on.
Thanks Pollyana, i'll get it then. Perhaps a break from sorting and cleaning will do me good.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DOUGIE AN LOUISE
Pollyana, do you think i decent 40-50inch plasma would fall into this catorgory??

Really fancy one over there but there prices are alot dearer for some reason so close to where they are made but it would be too big for our house here so would end up staying in the box ??

Dougie
I cannot see any reason why you would declare anything as being less than 12 months old? Even if it's in the box - you could easily have bought it ages ago and waited months for delivery, or just decided over a year ago you were moving and thus would never both to open it, or indeed that you had the TV a few years ago and always kept the box (since if it's new you;d best check it works before leaving otherwise it one heck of a guarantee claim).

Thus no reason to declare anything...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Dougie
we brought a 50" plasma over here au for 2 grand au money can you get them cheaper in uk now - also ours has hd and digital which works over here plug in and go

unlike our 37" which we brought in the uk - which doesn't work digital and hd as they are different and need a diggy box
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:09 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Dougie
Would strongly advie you dont do this. I dont necessarily agree with price differences - especially wuth recent exchange rate movements. Plus, as others have pointed out, depending on brand and spec, the tuners may not work.
Not worth it
Old Oct 10th 2008, 12:13 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

A new decent spec TV will work no problem. The only ones that don't are the old ones.

We brought over a few new things still in their boxes - only opened to check everything was there. They are not interested in obvious household items unless you have 20 microwaves or 40 vacuum cleaners. Don't bother declaring them, we didn't.
Old Oct 10th 2008, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

marvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of lightmarvinc is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Ozzie friend who is going back this month after being here for about 2 yeas asked if we'd put her crockery in our container, no problem I thought few plates/cups etc..........She brought it over couple of weeks ago, it's all new china items she's brought some of them there are 5/6 off each type and it's about 6 largeish boxes worth

I was going to just say it's my china collection but where there are a few of most things it's freakin me out now shippers come in about 3 weeks...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Would strongly advie you dont do this. I dont necessarily agree with price differences - especially wuth recent exchange rate movements. Plus, as others have pointed out, depending on brand and spec, the tuners may not work.
Not worth it
Hmm I was thinking of shipping my plasma & home cinema gear, only bought it in January now looks like I'm heading out in Feb next year. How would you find out if the tuner works? Contact the manufacturer?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 4:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chilliman
Hmm I was thinking of shipping my plasma & home cinema gear, only bought it in January now looks like I'm heading out in Feb next year. How would you find out if the tuner works? Contact the manufacturer?

Given it's a plasma, you'll hardly want to watch RF fed TV so I suspect you'll end up getting Foxtel - which means you can connect via decent SCART or component leads and thus not have to worry about the tuner. There's a good chance it will have an Aus tuner built-in but even if it does not, a simple Foxtel (ie Sky) box will do all you need...
Old Oct 10th 2008, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nicechilliman is just really nice

Originally Posted by andyphilpott
Given it's a plasma, you'll hardly want to watch RF fed TV so I suspect you'll end up getting Foxtel - which means you can connect via decent SCART or component leads and thus not have to worry about the tuner. There's a good chance it will have an Aus tuner built-in but even if it does not, a simple Foxtel (ie Sky) box will do all you need...

Thanks, its an Hitachi with built in free view so I guess i'll be ok?
Old Oct 10th 2008, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

My built in digital tuner worked o.k on my Samsung lcd tv, even if it doesn't, standalone tuners are about $50 for sd and $100 for hd so I wouldn't worry about it and just bring your t.v.
Old Oct 11th 2008, 12:34 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

In Jan will prob be ok.
There was a =useful thread recently about this very topic (there often is). On the back of that I told my plasma it was in Germany and it worked!