Reload this Page >

Taking a motorbike to Australia

Taking a motorbike to Australia

Old Mar 4th 2010, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Kat_uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking a motorbike to Australia

Hi

Thinking of bringing the Fireblade over with us from the Uk. Has anyone done this and what are the costs etc.?

Thanks
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking a motorbike to Australia

We looked into this as hubby's is still waiting to be sold (which reminds me ebay this weekend!). Too expensive. There is a huge motorbike thread at about 20 odd pages long. have a search as there is loads of information in there. I think someone bought over a couple of classics or something.

Can't find it for you I'm afraid as I need to get off to work.

Come back with any questions.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:53 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Kingseat
Old Mar 4th 2010, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Found the thread if anyone else needs it
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=motorbike
Rather long thread be warned.
Will leave this thread to OH to read as it is his fireblade
Old Mar 4th 2010, 10:00 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kat_uk
Hi

Thinking of bringing the Fireblade over with us from the Uk. Has anyone done this and what are the costs etc.?

Thanks
I wouldn't bother unless it's a classic. Cars and bikes from the UK tend lose their value in Australia as they tend to corrode a lot easier due to salt on roads in the UK, which doesn't happen in Australia.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm planning on taking my car and my bike as it is financially better to do so for the following reasons:-

1. Selling second hand in the uk you get very little money back.

2. The pound has lost a lot of it's value, so you lose on exchange rate when getting Oz $.

3. You then have to buy the equivalent vehicle in Oz for double of what it would cost in the UK. The inverse of pont 1 above.

So for us it's 40ft container with household, car & bike.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 6:39 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Well I'm planning on taking my car and my bike as it is financially better to do so for the following reasons:-

2. The pound has lost a lot of it's value, so you lose on exchange rate when getting Oz $.

3. You then have to buy the equivalent vehicle in Oz for double of what it would cost in the UK. The inverse of pont 1 above.

You have to be aware of the cost of converting the car to Australia road standards. Also, there is luxury car tax that you may have to pay if the car is worth over $57,180 (in Australia) which is currently at 33%.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:12 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Also if the bike is left hand drive you will have to have it converted to right hand drive to use it on Australian roads.Could be costly!!
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
Also if the bike is left hand drive you will have to have it converted to right hand drive to use it on Australian roads.Could be costly!!

She'll be right... It's center drive for bikes here
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:43 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

I'm planning on taking my bike (it'll fit into the 20ft container) for much the same reasons as you. Also, with an expected squeeze on our spending for at least the first couple of years I might never get another one. The car: We're leaving it behind because although its comfortable and fairly reliable its quite old so it's probably time to change it anyway.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
Umm, but I thought Australians drove on both sides of the road, so it should be ok either way.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:08 am
Just Joined

Bikes do look expensive so think we will take out with us. You can't live that close to Philip island and not have a bike
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kat_uk
Bikes do look expensive so think we will take out with us. You can't live that close to Philip island and not have a bike

Then you need to get permit to import etc... Look on the website for your State for what is required.

Agree, can't not have a bike there.
Old Mar 5th 2010, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Just found this so thought I would share.....
http://www.worldshipping.co.nz/forms...ligibility.pdf
Old Mar 5th 2010, 10:06 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

My Wife brought her bike over it was very easy and a lot cheaper than buying a new one over here, Also she knew the history of the bike.
Personally I would bring it over if its in good condition and it a bike you can get parts for over here.
Gary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.