Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a Jack Russell to NZ

Wikiposts

Taking a Jack Russell to NZ

Old Nov 10th 2003, 2:06 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default pet passport oz to uk

Originally posted by janeyray
I would advise anyone bringing their pets to Oz or NZ to get them vaccinated for Rabis BEFORE they leave the UK.

This means that if you do ever return to the UK for whatever reason then the pets can fly straight away!

It means that they don't have to go through 6 months quarantine when they arrive in the UK.

We didn't get it done and are returning to the UK. It has cost a fortune to get everything done here:

$65 each animal vaccinated (then 3 weeks until blood test)
$230 each animal to have the blood test done
Then they can't fly for another 6 months.

Just advisable to get it done before you come
You don't need to worry. Pet passport scheme ensures your dog / cat does quarantine with you. You get em done for rabies and they do the 'time' with you in their usual place. No locked doors etc no kennels. I've done it. I know. :-)
Old Nov 10th 2003, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

Janiac is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by NetWriter
Janiac, I'm relying on you to sort this out !
Susie is a white border collie bitch, by the way.
Sweet, but a bit deaf.I'm puzzled why BA (or any company) would require the use of a pet transport company. Unless it's to minimise paperwork problems.
Especially when their website says:
"Our Unaccompanied Pets service is a cargo terminal to cargo terminal product. Your pet must be checked in at the cargo facility by you, and collected from the cargo facility by you or a nominated person."
Having re-read the BA bit I'm confused about unaccompanied as well. Since NZ isn't on the list, accompanied looks possible.
I don't see why you'd want to though.Steve
Hey.....don't rely on me! Couldn't handle the pressure!
The comment regarding having to use a pet-exporter & the quote on BA's website about 'being checked in by YOU' is exactly what's confused me Steve, and as you say they are all kept in the hold whether they are 'accompanied' or unaccompanied'. I haven't gotten as far as checking it out directly with any airlines yet, so maybe that would be the next step to be certain. Bugger if I'm paying a pet exporter to keep my dogs locked in for yet another night beforehand if I can help it....that would just make it even more stressful for them, especially as neither have ever been apart from me and one of them has only just overcome car-sickness and is still unhappy about about that nasty-noisy machine thingy...a flight could prove rather...er...interesting!
Old Nov 10th 2003, 11:06 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: pet passport oz to uk

Originally posted by mumomonty
You don't need to worry. Pet passport scheme ensures your dog / cat does quarantine with you. You get em done for rabies and they do the 'time' with you in their usual place. No locked doors etc no kennels. I've done it. I know. :-)

What do you mean?

Are you saying you can take pets out of Australia and into the UK 'WITHOUT' having done the 6 months in Oz (after the rabies vaccine and blood test) and they will let you keep your pets at home for 6 months!!??? This can't be right?

Mine have had their vaccines but I now have to wait for the blood test and then 6 months before they travel. If I want to leave before the 6 months is up then they have to be in a quarantine environment for the remainder of the time in the UK.

This is what I've been told, please let me know if you know different?
Old Nov 10th 2003, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: pet passport oz to uk

Originally posted by janeyray
What do you mean? Are you saying you can take pets out of Australia and into the UK 'WITHOUT' having done the 6 months in Oz (after the rabies vaccine and blood test) and they will let you keep your pets at home for 6 months!!??? This can't be right?
As far as I know you do still have to wait the 6 months before travelling, otherwise you will get stung for the the quaranteen rule on arriving in the uk and they will get put into kennels.

Travelling from the uk to NZ however, as long as all the vaccines/paperwork etc are in order you don't HAVE to have the rabies Jab (unless you feel you may want to come back to the uk in the near future) neither will the pets need to be quaranteened in NZ as long as everything checks out.

That's as far as I understand anyhow.......anyone know any different??
Old Nov 10th 2003, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

nicky s is an unknown quantity at this point

Under the pet passport scheme your pet cannot travel for 6 months, that is going from Oz to the Uk, then your pet does not have to go into quarantine in the Uk. I have been told by pet travel companies here in Oz that the pet passport scheme is not yet in place in Oz or Nz so if you are coming from the UK to Oz or Nz then quarantine laws still apply, that is your pet has to stay for one month in quarantine...obviously there is some difference of opinion here though as people are being told different things. What I have said is what I have been told in the past month by Dogtainers in Sydney. Also if you look up the pet passport scheme through a search engine it will tell you the same thing,
Old Nov 11th 2003, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by nicky s
Under the pet passport scheme your pet cannot travel for 6 months, that is going from Oz to the Uk, then your pet does not have to go into quarantine in the Uk. I have been told by pet travel companies here in Oz that the pet passport scheme is not yet in place in Oz or Nz so if you are coming from the UK to Oz or Nz then quarantine laws still apply, that is your pet has to stay for one month in quarantine...obviously there is some difference of opinion here though as people are being told different things. What I have said is what I have been told in the past month by Dogtainers in Sydney. Also if you look up the pet passport scheme through a search engine it will tell you the same thing,
According to the DEFRA website the pet passport scheme DOES now cover some longhaul destinations which includes NZ (not sure about Oz as I wasn't looking for there at the time), which means that no quaranteen is needed once you arrive.