Reload this Page >

Taking Infant to OZ

Wikiposts

Taking Infant to OZ

Old Jan 28th 2005, 3:51 am
Where's the bbq?

wandrews will become famous soon enoughwandrews will become famous soon enough
Default Taking Infant to OZ

I am hoping/planning that we will need to do our validation trip later this year, the concerns I have is that my son will still be under one year old.

My question is has anyone previous experience of taking such a young one to OZ, if so which is the better airline, route (East/West) etc, etc

Do customs mind you taking baby milk?

Any advice welcomed.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:42 am
Forum Regular

MaggieNoodles is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking Infant to OZ

Originally Posted by wandrews
I am hoping/planning that we will need to do our validation trip later this year, the concerns I have is that my son will still be under one year old.

My question is has anyone previous experience of taking such a young one to OZ, if so which is the better airline, route (East/West) etc, etc

Any advice welcomed.
We flew to Perth when mine were 5 months old and then to USA when they were 9 months old. Didn't have any problems with the flights at that young age as they still sleep alot.

When we flew to Perth we flew Singapore airlines and they were brilliant. Very helpful, gave us baby packs which included nappies, wipes, baby food, etc. When we flew to USA we flew BA and they were the opposite. We almost ran out of wipes on the way back and they didn't have any on the plane. Luckily we knew early that we were running low and rationed so we had enough till we got home. I would definitely say Singapore are the best for flying with babies.

We did have alot of baby formula and I separated it into two separate suitcases and took more than enough as the brand we used we couldn't get in OZ. We just declared the formula going through customs and as long as they can see that you aren't planning on selling the stuff when you get there you should be ok.

When they get older than one, I feel flights become more complicated. Just get prepared early, take as much stuff on board as you need for the baby and remember you can buy most things in oz if you forgot it.

Good luck.
Old Jan 28th 2005, 4:54 am
Prodigal Daughter

rachelw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there

I am an Aussie living in the UK, married to a Brit. I have done the trip back a number of times with our 18 mnth old daughter - at 3 months, 9 months, and 15 months. I have flown both BA and Quantas and find them both much of a muchness. I always fly via Singapore. The first leg out is always pretty horrid (generally a night flight so all they want you to do is sleep) whereas the second leg the staff are more helpful. Not sure if that is cause the second leg is shorter and you feel like you are nearly there!

I have always taken my own food and milk and then dumped any leftovers on arrival at the airport in Brisbane. Last time customs told me to let them know what I have and they will check it over and let it through if OK - just make sure you do let them know or they get a bit shirty. Singapore airlines certainly provided a little bag of food and nappies, wipes, bibs etc. also. Both airlines happy to heat milk if required.

I would also recommend hiring a hotel room in Singapore if you have time during your stopover. It is much easier to let a toddler run around in the room and you can have a shower/go to the loo etc much easier with them contained in the room.

Otherwise, I think you just have to accept the flight is going to be pretty horrid but it will be worth it! Mind you, I always have Mum to hand her over to whilst I recover .

Take a bag with some new books and toys to entertain them. I have got a prescription for Phenergan that I tried, but did not work (test before you go as can make some children hypo) and have also heard that Rescue Remedy worth a go. Also make sure they are sucking something on take off and landing to help their little ears.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more details.
Rachel
Old Jan 28th 2005, 6:10 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wandrews

Any advice welcomed.
We flew to oz last febuary with a 2yr old and a 4 month baby with malaysia air
and they looked after all our needs fine. The year before we travelled with singapore and they were slightly better as they made a total fuss and couldn't wait to baby sit