Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a Gap Year(Holiday Work Visa) Help!

Taking a Gap Year(Holiday Work Visa) Help!

Old Sep 5th 2010, 9:41 pm
Just Joined

Lisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant future
Smile Taking a Gap Year(Holiday Work Visa) Help!

Hi guys, ive just finished my A levels and I'm taking a year out before university.I am really keen on going to Sydney for a couple of months as i have an uncle out there.

What is the best time of month for cheap flights to Sydney and what airlines would you recommend?

I was researching into working out there to earn a bit of money and to get a real experience of life in sydney. Am i right to think that i need to apply for a holiday work visa from here http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/work...-australia.htm. before i go to Sydney or can i apply for one whilst im in Sydney?
I know u need to have a certain amount of money in your bank account before you can apply for one of these, would they take into consideration that i would not have to pay for accommodation whilst over there?
Also does any one know how long it takes for the visa to be processed

I was wondering if there is an employment issue in Sydney or is it fairly easy to find a job? if I was to get a job out there would i have to set up a bank account whilst Im there to get paid or would they be able to pay it into my bank account here in England.

Any information or help would be appreciated
Thank you
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Taking a Gap Year(Holiday Work Visa) Help!

WHV is an offshore visa, you would have to be outside Australia for it to be granted.

One of the conditions of the WHV is that you are required to have $5000 available funds, although this us not often checked it is still a condition.

Processing can take a few hours to a few weeks.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

You need to get your visa first, but in terms of flights, the sooner the better, as we get nearer Christmas, flights get more expensive. December & January are particularly expensive.

You can open a bank account when you get here (use your uncle's address) but it's also possible to open an account from the UK (the Commonwelath Bank still does this, I believe) and then you just have to rock up to one of the many branches when you get here.

Anyhow, first thing is to get your Visa application started.

Work is relatively easy to find as long as you don't mind minimum wage and relatively hard work. However there are a few unscrupulous employers out there who take advantage of folks like you, so just ask plenty of questions about potential jobs.

Good Luck
Old Sep 5th 2010, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

It is worth remembering that a WHV is a once in a lifetime opportunity (unless you carry out seasonal work for three months in which case it is a twice in a lifetime opportunity).

If you use for a two month trip now, you will never be able to get another one. And perhaps in a few years time you might want to use it for a longer trip, or even as a stepping stone to something more long term. If you really think you are only going to be there for a couple of months, I would think about just going for a long holiday and "save" the WHV for another time.

To your other question, you are unlikely to find an employer who will be happt to pay you into your UK bank account, you would need to open an account there if you are working.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

Lisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant futureLisahunter has a brilliant future

Hey guys thanks for all the help!

I was wondering is there an alternative to the WHV, which would still let me work out in Australia but for a shorter period ? as Bermudashorts makes a good point that this visa is a once in a life time opportunity and I would be out there for a maximum of 5 months.

thanks
Old Sep 6th 2010, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Nope, there is no other option. I came out on a WHV many years ago and knew a fair few people that didn't do a days work on theirs and then regretted it later when they wanted to go back and work and couldn't.

If I were you I would plan on coming out here for a year and working OR coming on a holiday visa and just saving more before you get here so you don't have to work. If you ever want another type of visa, don't take the risk of working cash in hand on a tourist visa, just incase you are caught.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 4:50 pm

zRichi is an unknown quantity at this point

I got mine in about 3 weeks...and a week of that was due to I was in barcelona so couldn't send a document in

Going on 1st Nov by any chance?

Pumpkin how do you find Adelaide?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:05 pm
Top Dog

sniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to allsniffydog is a name known to all

Interested in this - if a daughter's friend comes out to stay for a month or so is there an onshore visa she can apply for if she wants to extend her stay and work?
Old Sep 6th 2010, 9:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sniffydog
Interested in this - if a daughter's friend comes out to stay for a month or so is there an onshore visa she can apply for if she wants to extend her stay and work?
Only if she can find an employer sponsor and she works in an eligible occupation. To get the WHV she would have to go offshore.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zRichi
I got mine in about 3 weeks...and a week of that was due to I was in barcelona so couldn't send a document in

Going on 1st Nov by any chance?

Pumpkin how do you find Adelaide?
Depends on the area and what you are after. I am a home bird, so I like it. If you are into going out lots, maybe not the place for you, I don't know. There are some rough parts like any place.
Far more affordable than places like Sydney, and MUCH nicer than places like Melbourne in my opinion.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:43 pm

think I'll drive on through Adelaide after reading this...It's not the fact that they're bad reviews. Every place in the world could be great to one person and shite to another. It's the absolute adamant conviction that the users have given. LOL. Read on for giggles

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-reviews-19..._and_reviews-i
Old Sep 9th 2010, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Adelaide is the most under developed uncultured place in the western world. It is like a place that time has forgotten but the people of Adelaide think its the bees knees. What a bunch of fruitloops and looney tunes.
A tad harsh!!! Its a nice place to visit, or to live the quiet family life...and the wineries are great...

Bloody glad I moved to Sydney tho!
Old Sep 9th 2010, 11:43 am

I think this guys take on Adelaide is golden. He sounds like he genuinely wants to help people stay away from Adelaide. LOL

I lived in South Australia for 20 years before moving and living in the USA, Asia and the East Coast of Australia. Now I am back in ADELAIDE as I am a part owner in a new venture.

Oh My God!

What God AWWFUL thing I have done to deserve this burden I have no idea. But living in ADELAIDE is Cruel and Unusual Punishment.

I feel sorry for the poor sucker that has to tolerate my weeping every time I return from business and family trips to ADELAIDE. I blubber like a sick and sorry man that has been broken to within a fleas whisker of the unthinkable. Yes this city does something quite unique to the senses. It numbs them.

On the flip side, I have never been so motivated to expand the operation Nationally and into South East Asia to at least give myself some HOPE. And business is booming!

The people of Adelaide are devoid of culture (ironic since every last cent of state revenue is hijacked to preserve the least interesting, so even by accident something should have been stumbled across by now), the so called novelty is totally over rated with the exception of frequent twisted murders and the many unsolved missing peoples (but them again maybe they are the lucky ones).
This much is true of Adelaide, the people are strangely delusional, boganistic and boganesque, abductions common followed by the most heinous acts imaginable, restaurants and other entertainment resemble the Trueman Show where while staring at the eerie inactivity inside you wonder if it is all a big joke at your expense. Jaw dropping experiences are endless. Unless you are a homicidal socio or psycho-path escaping the law and looking for some bogans to slay which you will be pleased to know are abundantly available in Adelaide, give this place time should never even acknowledge a miss.