Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking fridge freezer

Taking fridge freezer

Old Aug 20th 2009, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

skoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant futureskoots76 has a brilliant future
Default Taking fridge freezer

Hi,

Just a quik question, does anyone know if its ok to ship fridgefreezer over? or is it just not worth it.

Many thanks Ian
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:54 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking fridge freezer

If it's a newish CFC one then bring it. If it's an older one with CFCs (label on the back will tell you) you won't be allowed to bring it. Most rentals don't have fridge/freezers in them, if there is one then you can use it as a overflow or beer fridge.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:04 am
ABCDiamond

I took my Australian one to the UK, and brought it back again 4 years later

Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:19 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
I took my Australian one to the UK, and brought it back again 4 years later
I took my Aus one back to UK and wasn'y allowed to bring it back - nor my Australian jarrah garden furniture!
Old Aug 20th 2009, 3:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by skoots76
Hi,

Just a quik question, does anyone know if its ok to ship fridgefreezer over? or is it just not worth it.

Many thanks Ian
I remember a thread on here about 4-5 years ago that discussed the "moving a fridge-freezer from UK to OZ"

In short the UK fridge-freezer wasn't as powerful as an Aussie one. It would still work and keep food cold. However it would consistantly run to keep it cold because AUS temp is higher than most of Europe.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

slipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of lightslipshot is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by shorrock
I remember a thread on here about 4-5 years ago that discussed the "moving a fridge-freezer from UK to OZ"

In short the UK fridge-freezer wasn't as powerful as an Aussie one. It would still work and keep food cold. However it would consistantly run to keep it cold because AUS temp is higher than most of Europe.
Have to say that sounds like nonsense. A fridge is made in the same way in every country in the world. Any differences in the way they are made will be down to the manufacturer and nothing else. A fridge in the UK is exactly the same as a fridge made in the Australia. I even checked the specs on our f/f which is sold here in Aus - identical in every way to the model sold over here.

Bring them - they will be fine...
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

....this thread has been posted so many times and you'll find that this is just a myth. My UK Whirlpool works miles better than the Oz one we bought and runs at the side of it.

Other than the CFC issue, UK fridges will work fine. Probably comes from the fact that my UK Whirlpool was made in the UK, and my Oz one China
Old Aug 20th 2009, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

thehowarths will become famous soon enoughthehowarths will become famous soon enough

we sold our fridge freezer for next to nothing when we left the uk - thinking that it wouldn't work as well over here. think it is a myth too - a couple of expats we know brought theirs with them and they are working fine.

we had to buy brand new over here and it wasn't cheap at all. Wish we'd shipped ours over.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

MillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really niceMillsyandtheTroop is just really nice

Bring it - it will be fine. The only thing you may need is proof that it is CFC free to keep quarantine happy. This could be a copy of the page in the manual that states what the refrigerant is, or a letter from the manufacturer stating what is in there. We ended up sending them a letter from Hotpoint, as even though it was written on the back of the fridge, we were advised by our shippers to have something in writing to not hold things up. The next to useless manual only advised on how to put things in it, and not the spec of it...
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:30 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

But the UK fridge wont plug into the wall...the sockets are different.....hows it gonna work ?

Old Aug 21st 2009, 1:15 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
Probably comes from the fact that my UK Whirlpool was made in the UK, and my Oz one China
So it's your fault that our local fridge freezer manufacturer in Cleveland is closing down. People buy the Chinese ones instead !!

hmm.. I wonder where mine as made.... (tiptoes away to look)

Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

thehowarths will become famous soon enoughthehowarths will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
But the UK fridge wont plug into the wall...the sockets are different.....hows it gonna work ?

just change the plug. i know you are supposed to get a qualified electrician to do even the most basic things like that but we didn't bother (and i doubt many people do). got aload of aussie plugs from bunnings (hardware chain bit like b&q) and changed the plugs of everything we brought over.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thehowarths
just change the plug. i know you are supposed to get a qualified electrician to do even the most basic things like that but we didn't bother (and i doubt many people do). got aload of aussie plugs from bunnings (hardware chain bit like b&q) and changed the plugs of everything we brought over.
It was a joke
Old Aug 21st 2009, 7:52 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Like a lot of stuff on here, this is a BE bullshit story.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 12:40 pm
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty

Bring a UK wall plate and get a pommy sparky to fit it for you, then the UK plug will work fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.