Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking food into Oz!

Taking food into Oz!

Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of
Default Taking food into Oz!

HI everyone

Does anyone know if there is a limit to how much chocolate, gravy granules, Haribo sweets, crisps etc you can take into Australia with you? Do you have to declare it at customs?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nic
Old Nov 29th 2007, 10:52 am

Sheff_Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking food into Oz!

yes you have to declare all food but i dont know what the limits are.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Nic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud ofNic938 has much to be proud of

Thanks - do you know if when you declare it you have to show them it all? Was thinking of spreading it out in a few cases but if you have to show them it would probably be better to have it all together!

Nic
Old Nov 29th 2007, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nic938
Thanks - do you know if when you declare it you have to show them it all? Was thinking of spreading it out in a few cases but if you have to show them it would probably be better to have it all together!

Nic
If I were you I'd pack it all together, make life a bit easier
Old Nov 29th 2007, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Curly, do you know how much I am allowed to take?

Nic
Old Nov 29th 2007, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Curly, do you know how much I am allowed to take?

Nic
sorry I dont, we only took a jar of marmite for our son we declared it and wasnt a problem, but if you mix up the food you may have to unpack all the bags

Last edited by curly; Nov 29th 2007 at 11:56 am.
Old Nov 29th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by curly
sorry I dont we only took a jar of marmite for our son we declared it and wasnt a problem, but if you mix up the food you may have to unpack all the bags
Yep, that makes sense, just that I am taking quite a bit (not all for me) will probably need a seperate suitcase

Thanks anyway

Nic
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep, that makes sense, just that I am taking quite a bit (not all for me) will probably need a seperate suitcase

Thanks anyway

Nic
A suitcase just for the food? blimey what you bringing in then?
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

A suitcase just for the food? blimey what you bringing in then?
So far, 6 big slabs of Dairy Milk, 3 x 6 packs Walkers crisps, 6 x large tins gravy granules, 6 x big packets of Haribo sweets, 2 x 5pckts curly wurlys and still got 5 weeks to go!! I like chocolate!! No, seriously, had some requests not all for me!

Nic
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So far, 6 big slabs of Dairy Milk, 3 x 6 packs Walkers crisps, 6 x large tins gravy granules, 6 x big packets of Haribo sweets, 2 x 5pckts curly wurlys and still got 5 weeks to go!! I like chocolate!! No, seriously, had some requests not all for me!

Nic
tbh I can't tell the difference with cadbury's here they have curly wurlys too, and back on the dairy milk never seen so many varieties here mmmmmmmmm yummy no walkers though, but lots of very nice ones here, loads of flavours edit just remembered I've seen haribo at Aldi here too!
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

tbh I can't tell the difference with cadbury's here they have curly wurlys too, and back on the dairy milk never seen so many varieties here mmmmmmmmm yummy no walkers though, but lots of very nice ones here, loads of flavours edit just remembered I've seen haribo at Aldi here too!

Sorry to hijack your thread but I've been asked to bring walnut whips! I guess you can't get them there? Does anyone know if I'll have a problem getting them through customs?
Cheers
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

As long as its not so large amount that it could be viewed as being for resale, then you can bring as much as you like. Decalre ALL food items, even that half-eaten packet of Polos in the bottom of your handbag.......(I'd kill for a Polo right now, Life-savers aren't quite the same

I've taken to bringing a list now, and as the AQIS guys see so many Brits coming through with food, they are familiar with most of the stuff (choc, Bisto, crisps, marmite, PG Tips etc)so they haven't yet asked to look at any of mine (even when I have the equivalent of a suitcase full
Having a list also makes you look more organised, and they are more likely to believe that you know what you have, and aren't trying to smuggle in half a cow or something illegal of that ilk.

Best one I ever saw was a guy of Indian appearance stopped at Customs in Brisbane. Its a shame I was too far away to hear the low-voiced conversation after they took him off to one side, because I'd love to know how he explained his suitcase being full of pizza........
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

sals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to allsals is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Best one I ever saw was a guy of Indian appearance stopped at Customs in Brisbane. Its a shame I was too far away to hear the low-voiced conversation after they took him off to one side, because I'd love to know how he explained his suitcase being full of pizza........
ROFL
Now I'm certain you have pizza! Why would anyone want to bring in Pizza? Some people are just strange
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud ofMumfords has much to be proud of

hiya nic

if you like marmite bring plenty and loads of gravey

as for walnut whips i saw some the other day in big W

Ann
Old Nov 29th 2007, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

lulubel will become famous soon enoughlulubel will become famous soon enough

oh no! I am coming to Oz from a place just over the water from England and I am going to be faced with the same problems. No marmite, walkers crisps and do I really need to bring my tetleys with me? Oh well another trip to England to buy all this before we leave France!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.