Reload this Page >

Taking the dog with us?

Taking the dog with us?

Old Jul 18th 2011, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

Kirk_n_Helena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Taking the dog with us?

Hi All,
We're planning on moving to Perth in 18months/2 years and we have a Jack Russell called Hunter who we plan on taking with us.
Other than the quarantine period and jabs, is there anything else that we need to look into, i.e. owner licenses?
And has anyone else taken there pet with them? How long did it take them to settle after arriving?
Any advice would be appreciated. Can't imagine not taking him with us.
Helena and Kirk
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking the dog with us?

Hi Kirk_n_Helena

You should absolutely take him, he's one of the family.

Do a search for dogs via the search button above and you'll find eons of messages about taking, and leaving pets.

all the best for your move
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

I had a look, but most threads i've found have been about getting the dog out there.
Other web sites have left me a little confused....do you need a license to own a dog in Oz? And is there anything I need to do when we get out there otherwise?
H x
Old Jul 18th 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

A quick google found this http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

If you're going to go to the expense and full process of taking a pet out, best to read everything thoroughly.

There are quite a few companies that will handle all documentation and transport your dog out. Be prepared for the expense!

Last edited by Still Game; Jul 18th 2011 at 7:01 pm.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OneSmallVoice
A quick google found this http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs

If you're going to go to the expense and full process of taking a pet out, best to read everything thoroughly.

There are quite a few companies that will handle all documentation and transport your dog out. Be prepared for the expense!
Oh yes, the cost........

It is costing more for us to pay to ship our dog out, including blood tests/quarantine/shipping costs etc than my husbands & mine flights - wouldnt mind too much but we dont have to pay for us (company paying) but we do have to pay for the dog. Would hate to include our costs in as well.
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the link OneSmallVoice (http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs). I looked on a company that had pretty much the same info, but its good they've put an estimated cost - AU$1305 for a dog or AU$1100 for a cat. So i guess my rough estimate of £1000 all included is a little low.

My main question really is do we need to get a licence. Been looking on a number of other forums and web sites, and they all seem to say something different. One said only if the dogs a dangerous dog, eg, pitbull, or if he's a working dog (gun dog for example), and one said only if not registered with the australian kennel club. Im getting myself confused! ahh!

Helena

Last edited by Kirk_n_Helena; Jul 18th 2011 at 10:52 pm. Reason: Elaborate on my original post
Old Jul 18th 2011, 10:46 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

As the cost is based on the size of the dog, the comparison to mine is somewhat futile... She cost £2500 plus vets fees to ship then 30 days quarantine $808 and camper van hire from adl to syd!
I s
Did them paperwork myself... It's not complicated and that saved a little.

What I can say is that leaving a family member behind was not an option and we have no regrets!

Last edited by alipally; Jul 18th 2011 at 10:47 pm. Reason: Adding!
Old Jul 18th 2011, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alipally
As the cost is based on the size of the dog, the comparison to mine is somewhat futile... She cost £2500 plus vets fees to ship then 30 days quarantine $808 and camper van hire from adl to syd!
I s
Did them paperwork myself... It's not complicated and that saved a little.

What I can say is that leaving a family member behind was not an option and we have no regrets!
Wow! Better start saving!
Really don't want to leave him behind. It would be like losing my shadow...
Old Jul 19th 2011, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kirk_n_Helena
Thanks for the link OneSmallVoice (http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs). My main question really is do we need to get a licence. Been looking on a number of other forums and web sites, and they all seem to say something different. One said only if the dogs a dangerous dog, eg, pitbull, or if he's a working dog (gun dog for example), and one said only if not registered with the australian kennel club. Im getting myself confused! ahh!Helena
no probs. why not for a definitive answer contact the local athority of where you think you'll end up?
Old Jul 19th 2011, 10:25 am
Permanent Resident

Laights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of lightLaights is a glorious beacon of light

Dont think you will need a license but you may find that you will have to register your dog with the local council. We have to renew our dogs registration every year but its only about $35, every state is different.

My dog is a staffie and she is my shadow couldnt have left her for the world, although when we visited her in quarantine she didnt want to know me, made more fuss of my husband and sons. She was like it for the whole 30 days she was in quarantine but as soon as she came home she was fine.

It cost us 1700 pounds and used Golden Arrow in Shropshire, highly recommend them.
Old Jul 19th 2011, 1:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Laights
Dont think you will need a license but you may find that you will have to register your dog with the local council. We have to renew our dogs registration every year but its only about $35, every state is different.

My dog is a staffie and she is my shadow couldnt have left her for the world, although when we visited her in quarantine she didnt want to know me, made more fuss of my husband and sons. She was like it for the whole 30 days she was in quarantine but as soon as she came home she was fine.

It cost us 1700 pounds and used Golden Arrow in Shropshire, highly recommend them.
Brill! thanks for that. Im a terror for lists and plans so trying to get all the info i need before the move.
Looks like it'll be the most expensive part of the move! But couldn't bare to leave him. Looked at all the steps for moving and found our local vets is an approved vet so thankfully that will save a lot on paperwork and effort. phew!!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

richab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nicerichab is just really nice

Hi there

Our dog arrived at Byford quarantine yesterday and even though I was worried sick about him, the quarantine people (who are lovely from the sound of them) tell me he's absolutely fine.

We used Ryslip kennels to ship him and so far it's cost about £2,500 but we still have the quarantine bill to come. Would recommend Ryslip - they were very good.

I noticed you mention jabs in your post and you probably are aware of this but if your dog is having his booster in the UK you should mention to the vet that you are emigrating to oz as they should leave out the lepto (I think) part of the booster as it may cause a problem with his blood tests.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:18 am
Just Joined

MikeSS is on a distinguished road

Yup, if the boosters are due soon, definately avoid the lepto- there are a couple of annual vaccinations that you can have- DHPPi and DHPPiL - you must have DHPPi to get to OZ but there's no need for the L part, this is the Lepto and is likely to cause a positive blood test result. This is no panic, but you will need to wait 14 days after the first test and have a repeat lepto test, which in 99% of the cases means that the dog can still fly, but this is a further expense and could delay your logistics!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

clairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant futureclairemoir has a brilliant future

we took our jack russell 'woofie' with us and were living in Melbourne. Didn't need a license.

Although we were advised to start giving him heart worm medication from day one which we did. He was also very taken with possums spent hours looking out of the patio doors at them crawling along our garden fence!

He was fine and also made the return home easily when we decided to return. The 30 days quarantine was hard but when we returned to the UK it was fantastic to be able to collect him straight after our flight arrived as the rabies vaccine meant no quarantine on his return!

good luck with the move x