Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking dog back to the UK

Taking dog back to the UK

Old May 30th 2010, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Taking dog back to the UK

Hi all,

right, what with all these changes, and the chances of being able to stay in Oz getting slimmer and slimmer, it is now time for me to think about how I would get the dog back to the UK if I am suddenly faced with 28 days to leave the country.

Has anyone done it? Can it be done with 28 days or should I start preparing now just incase?
Any advice would be great.
Old May 30th 2010, 6:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking dog back to the UK

Originally Posted by pumpkin blossom
Hi all,

right, what with all these changes, and the chances of being able to stay in Oz getting slimmer and slimmer, it is now time for me to think about how I would get the dog back to the UK if I am suddenly faced with 28 days to leave the country.

Has anyone done it? Can it be done with 28 days or should I start preparing now just incase?
Have a look through the UK forum - theres a fair few people in there who have done it
Old May 30th 2010, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a look through the UK forum - theres a fair few people in there who have done it
Thanks
Old May 30th 2010, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

ClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really nice

Hi all,

Sorry to but in, but what visa are you on? We are in Adelaide on the 495 visa and have two dogs and this thought has stressed me out quite a few times. After reading on other sites about the cost in bringing dogs out to Aus. There shouldn't be a problem with getting the 887 visa and we only have four months to go, but I am really getting stressed about it all now!
Old May 30th 2010, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I have applied for the 485 visa. They did say we should still get it, and have 18 months to find a sponsor.......but what with these new changes they are trying to bring in, who knows. Every single thing that could go wrong has done with me so far, so I just want to be prepared for when/if it does.

Hopefully they will take into account everyone already here..... but who knows.
Old May 30th 2010, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

ClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really niceClairePM is just really nice

Sorry I am not quite sure what the 485 visa is, i presume it is the one after the 457 sponsored visa (guess). I hope that the onshore applicants are ok, it was on the local news that over 20,000 people left Adelaide last year and they really wanted skilled migrants here and want to meet the 2 million population target. After nearly two years of applying for the stupid visa, then nearly two years being here not knowing what is going to happen (I've settled really well here and don't want to go back), I don't think that I can take much more.

Also if I here the comment "so your not a perm resident" once more I am going to SCREAM so loud.

Anyway back to the original start of the thread, the dogs would come back with us no matter what but it is soo expensive. From what I have seen would cost about 5,000 pounds for the two of them!
Old May 30th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Yep, it is not cheap. I have also settled in really well and don't want to leave. But in the end, I suppose there are many other people in the world far worse off than me.
It is not cheap, that is for sure. I am far more worried about quarantine though than the cost. From what I can see you need rabies jabs, 6 months before. So if I can get that done now, just incase, that will be one weight off my shoulders.
Old May 30th 2010, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

barney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant futurebarney41 has a brilliant future

Yep, it is not cheap. I have also settled in really well and don't want to leave. But in the end, I suppose there are many other people in the world far worse off than me.
It is not cheap, that is for sure. I am far more worried about quarantine though than the cost. From what I can see you need rabies jabs, 6 months before. So if I can get that done now, just incase, that will be one weight off my shoulders.
To avoid quarantine you need to obtain a Pet Travel Passport, to get this you need to have your dog microchipped and then vaccinated against Rabies, blood taken to prove sufficiently protected (against Rabies). Once you have your result your vet will give you the pet passport and if you wait 6 months from date of blood test your dog won't have to go into quarantine when entering the UK.

For full details all information is on the defra website http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...res/owners.htm.

Good luck with your visa.

Last edited by barney41; May 30th 2010 at 8:36 am. Reason: added something.
Old May 31st 2010, 11:18 pm
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by barney41
To avoid quarantine you need to obtain a Pet Travel Passport, to get this you need to have your dog microchipped and then vaccinated against Rabies, blood taken to prove sufficiently protected (against Rabies). Once you have your result your vet will give you the pet passport and if you wait 6 months from date of blood test your dog won't have to go into quarantine when entering the UK.

For full details all information is on the defra website http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...res/owners.htm.

Good luck with your visa.
Yeah was just gonna state this.

We too looked into it as you never know. 6 months blood test before you leave and pet can enter the UK straight off, no quarantine as long as you get the pet passport ...

Crossed fingers it's not needed tho!