Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking daughter out of grammar school?

Taking daughter out of grammar school?

Old Feb 9th 2015, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

juckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to behold
Default Taking daughter out of grammar school?

The wife and I have been discussing me going out to Perth shortly to secure employment before she and my 13 year old Daughter come out in April.

The one thing that really plays on my mind is my Daughter's education. She is currently doing very well at an all girls grammar school here in the UK, and will start her GCSEs next September.

I am very keen to continue to send her to an all girls school in Perth rather than a mixed comp.
Old Feb 9th 2015, 10:12 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Taking daughter out of grammar school?

Originally Posted by juckky
The wife and I have been discussing me going out to Perth shortly to secure employment before she and my 13 year old Daughter come out in April.

The one thing that really plays on my mind is my Daughter's education. She is currently doing very well at an all girls grammar school here in the UK, and will start her GCSEs next September.

I am very keen to continue to send her to an all girls school in Perth rather than a mixed comp.
What's your question?
Old Feb 9th 2015, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have to ask, if your kids are doing so well, what is the reason for the move?
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

juckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to beholdjuckky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by verystormy
I have to ask, if your kids are doing so well, what is the reason for the move?
Good question. Lifestyle change.

Apart from the weather, I would say things here in the UK are going well. But it's a bit like ground hog day.

The question regarding education is a tricky one. Taking my Daughter out of school here to go to Aus for 2 years, only then to potentially come back again does seem madness and rather reckless.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:35 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in Perth at the moment and it is so hot that for the past two weeks I've been hiding indoors with the blinds drawn and the ac on. I'd hate to think what my electric bill will be this term.

On top of that, on the days I venture outside I spend ten minutes applying suncream just to walk to the bus stop. Let's just say I'm counting down the months until I move.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Personally I wouldn't be moving a teenage child out of a successful educational placement in either direction and there is no way on earth I would be doing it for just a couple of years at this age.

You'll find that life becomes Groundhog Day no matter where you live it - I'd have to say there are fewer groundhogs where I am now than when I was in Aus!

Save your adventure until after she's fixed with her education, then the world is your oyster.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
Save your adventure until after she's fixed with her education, then the world is your oyster.
The more I think about this, the more I tend to agree. Whilst applying for another PR in a year or 2 will not be cheap, it will then provide us with the option of going to Aus after my Daughter has finished her education in the UK.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 8:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Good question. Lifestyle change.

Apart from the weather, I would say things here in the UK are going well. But it's a bit like ground hog day.

The question regarding education is a tricky one. Taking my Daughter out of school here to go to Aus for 2 years, only then to potentially come back again does seem madness and rather reckless.
In OZ it will just be 'same shit, different bucket'
Old Feb 10th 2015, 8:49 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
I'm in Perth at the moment and it is so hot that for the past two weeks I've been hiding indoors with the blinds drawn and the ac on. I'd hate to think what my electric bill will be this term.

On top of that, on the days I venture outside I spend ten minutes applying suncream just to walk to the bus stop. Let's just say I'm counting down the months until I move.
Apart from the smoke haze in the air it was pretty comfortable out today. Well, at least compared to the last couple of weeks anyway. 6 pm and it's down to only 32.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Apart from the smoke haze in the air it was pretty comfortable out today. Well, at least compared to the last couple of weeks anyway. 6 pm and it's down to only 32.
The daytime temp here in the UK has been between 3 and 6C for the last few weeks :-(
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:18 am
Still alive

The daytime temp here in the UK has been between 3 and 6C for the last few weeks :-(
I'll take that over 40 with UV of 14 and smoke in the air anytime.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 8:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Whatever you decide, please do not move for the 'weather'. Value the weather you have.

All our friends and relatives in the UK are having some wonderful days out walking and the like right now & it is not even Spring.

Life will have the same work/ life balance wherever you choose to live.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Whatever you decide, please do not move for the 'weather'. Value the weather you have.

All our friends and relatives in the UK are having some wonderful days out walking and the like right now & it is not even Spring.

Life will have the same work/ life balance wherever you choose to live.
Absolutely - I walk pretty much every day here. When I was back in Aus in November, if I hadnt left the house by 6am it was too late for my walk because it was too bloody hot. There have been some cracking days here - chilly but nothing that a M&S heatgen t shirt wouldnt fix!
Old Feb 10th 2015, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would second what people say about the weather.

It is very easy when it is cold in the UK to dream of living in a hot place. The reality is very different. I haven't had a good nights sleep in days due to the heat.

We have to get out and walk the dog very early morning as it will be too hot otherwise.

You have to plan UV. Which, means avoiding the sun for most of the day.

Then winter will come. Here in Perth, that means we will get a LOT of rain - perth gets twice the rainfall of London. It will be cold - we get down to the low single figures at night. The houses have no insulation, double glazing almost unheard of, no heating. My wife spends the evenings in a hat and gloves.
Old Feb 11th 2015, 12:40 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
It's funny, lots of people say this but to be 100% honest, it's one of the main reasons we moved to Perth. My Mrs and I LOVE the sunshine! We've been here 12 years and loving it.

OP, if you want daughter in all girls school it will probably have to be a private one which can be a bit expensive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.