Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Taking a Christmas Tree

Taking a Christmas Tree

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of
Default Taking a Christmas Tree

I know that this has been discussed but I cannot find the thread. Im wanting to take my artificial Christmas Tree which has pine cones and berries. Would it be okay if I just chop the cones off? Also would I have to remove the artificial berries? Do I just make a note on the box to say they have been removed? Just getting decs down ready to be shipped Feb. Thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 5:07 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Taking a Christmas Tree

We are planning to take ours, I took the pine cones off 3 years ago thinking we were going that year

I'll be interested to read any other replies
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

The letter of the law says no but they do not search every single box that you bring over and a dead 5 year old cone is not going to set the alarm bells ringing.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

We brought ours over with pine cones on and they said it was fine. Good luck with your move

Old Jan 2nd 2010, 11:01 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hantsfamily1
The letter of the law says no but they do not search every single box that you bring over and a dead 5 year old cone is not going to set the alarm bells ringing.
Yes it will.
If they find it it'll cost you for destruction. Pine cones are one of the big no-nos and you will find dozens of posts on here from people who have fallen foul of AQIS on that one. Berries likewise -even if they are fake you may have a job convincing AQIS of the fact (as I know to my cost - plastic berries on a hat? $160, thank you very much)

AQIS generally will open any box labelled as Christmas decs, because of the pine cone issue. The seeds in the cones live on long ater the cone has fallenfrom the tree, thats the reason why. There are always going to be a few people who have got stuff through, either accidentally or on purpose, but don't risk it unless you are prepared to pay.
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Check the ICON database on the AQIS site, fake berries will be fine as they are not organic. If the pine cones are real they will need to be removed unless they have been treated in accordance with the ICON database requirements.

Also, the AQIS site has an email enquiry facility where advice direct from the horses mouth is available.

HTH
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 2:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by njk435
Check the ICON database on the AQIS site, fake berries will be fine as they are not organic. If the pine cones are real they will need to be removed unless they have been treated in accordance with the ICON database requirements.

Also, the AQIS site has an email enquiry facility where advice direct from the horses mouth is available.

HTH
Fake berries should be fine.........but I won't give any guarantee on that one after my heated echange with AQIS 6 years back
Old Jan 4th 2010, 6:37 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Fake berries should be fine.........but I won't give any guarantee on that one after my heated echange with AQIS 6 years back
Ah, but that were 'ats!
Old Jan 4th 2010, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Thanks have now taken all of the cones off the tree and will leave the berries.