Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

taking cats to Australia

taking cats to Australia

Old May 21st 2013, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

loverlygidget is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taking cats to Australia

i shipped three felines to Australia. I did not go through the pet agents. It was difficult to fine out what i needed to do but finally did and realised how easy it was once i knew what i had to do.

You do not need to vaccine your cats with RABIES for Australia if you are coming from the UK.
you do need to have the standard three vaccines and have the flee and worming done within 48 hours of flying.

1. apply for an export certificate from DEFRA
2. apply for an import certificate from Australia AQIS
3. get cats vaccinated within 14 days of travel.
4. book flight on Singapore Airlines only - phone them to tell them you are shipping your cats on the flight.
5. take the export certificate to the vet whom you have nominated to complete the documents they have been sent.
6. arrange for the airport vet to attend through Singapore airlines cargo -
take the cat/s to the cargo area at Heathrow meet up with vet.
7. vet checks docs, cats and container (to meet the ITAI guidelines.)
8 vet seals the carrier - take cat to the scanner and then the cat is loaded on the aircraft in the hold. you fly on same flight.
9. cats arrive in Australia with you. AQIS pick up cats after the vet checks them over. they are transported to Spotswood quarantine centre - you can visit them. They are in there for 30 days. you can take your own food if you like or treats for the cats.
be sure to phone the AQIS quarantine centre and book the cats in well in advance.
costs: VET £250, flight on weight of cat and carrier circa $300 , vet Australia $60 , quarantine $32 per day x 30 days.
other expenses carrier £40, singapore transit certificate $15.
It really is rather straight forward actually. once you know the steps.
apparently the quarantine time is going to be reduced to 10 days.
Spotswood is the cheapest rates. it is very clean and the people are very kind to the pets there. the accommodation is spacious. you can take along toys and blankets etc... it was great to sit with the cats and collect my thoughts.
Old May 21st 2013, 11:58 pm
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taking cats to Australia

Originally Posted by loverlygidget
i shipped three felines to Australia. I did not go through the pet agents. It was difficult to fine out what i needed to do but finally did and realised how easy it was once i knew what i had to do.

You do not need to vaccine your cats with RABIES for Australia if you are coming from the UK.
you do need to have the standard three vaccines and have the flee and worming done within 48 hours of flying.
I don't know how long it is since you brought your cats over, but your information about rabies is incorrect.

Every cat and dog must be vaccinated against rabies with an approved inactivated rabies virus vaccine within the 12 months prior to export and when the animal is at least three (3) months old.

The rabies vaccination certificate must be presented to the Official Government Veterinarian when completing the Rabies vaccination and Rabies Neutralising Antibody Titre Test (RNATT) Declaration of the application form for an DAFF import permit.
Cats and dogs from the UK
Old May 22nd 2013, 3:25 am
Just Joined

i shipped my cats last year. three of them and they did not have a rabies vaccination. I expected it and prepared for it though the AQIS web site clearly states that cats from the UK a rabies free country are exempt from this.
I had to fly them via a country that was also clear of rabies.
hence having to take them through Singapore.
I know what you are saying .... this was my experience. my cats did not have a rabies vaccination. I am pleased that was the case as they are very time consuming and very expensive. I organised the shipment of the cats within two weeks. which certainly did not give time for rabies vaccinations.
The cats had to be resident of the UK and not been outside the UK for at least 2 years. i have the paperwork to prove it.
Old May 22nd 2013, 3:34 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

i shipped my cats last year. three of them and they did not have a rabies vaccination. I expected it and prepared for it though the AQIS web site clearly states that cats from the UK a rabies free country are exempt from this.
I had to fly them via a country that was also clear of rabies.
hence having to take them through Singapore.
I know what you are saying .... this was my experience. my cats did not have a rabies vaccination. I am pleased that was the case as they are very time consuming and very expensive. I organised the shipment of the cats within two weeks. which certainly did not give time for rabies vaccinations.
The cats had to be resident of the UK and not been outside the UK for at least 2 years. i have the paperwork to prove it.
The rules are pretty clear, and had already changed last year - not sure why you would be giving misleading info
Old May 22nd 2013, 3:36 am
Just Joined

what do you mean... i am not misleading.... this is my experience. when did the rules change last year?
Old May 22nd 2013, 3:37 am
Just Joined

i was very surprised and phoned AQIS in Australia to confirm the situation. as did not want to arrive here only to find that they did need rabies vaccination. The vet confirmed that they did not.
Old May 22nd 2013, 3:38 am
Just Joined

perhaps the rules have changed now. but that is how it was.
Old May 22nd 2013, 3:39 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

what do you mean... i am not misleading.... this is my experience. when did the rules change last year?
The new rules were from 1st Jan 2012
Old May 22nd 2013, 3:39 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought they only needed rabies if they were part of the Pet Passport scheme as in if you planned to bring them back to the UK anytime soon, otherwise they didnt have to have it.

Old May 22nd 2013, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by Cheetah7
I thought they only needed rabies if they were part of the Pet Passport scheme as in if you planned to bring them back to the UK anytime soon, otherwise they didnt have to have it.

Not any more - see Dreamy's post and link
Old May 22nd 2013, 4:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
Not any more - see Dreamy's post and link
Glad I brought my cat in before the law changed.
Old May 22nd 2013, 1:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The rules on importing cats did change a lot at the start of 2012. We had several threads on here at the time alerting people to it.
(I can't find them right now cos Search is stuffed again )

Don't know if the OP managed to find a back door, or a vet who managed to get round the new requirements, but I don't advise anyone else to try and do the same.

Dreamy has posted the link to the current process and anyone importing pets now needs to follow that link
Old May 23rd 2013, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Does your local council allow more than 2 cats as pets?
Old May 24th 2013, 8:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Technically the statement in red is correct. However if you do not vaccinate the cat for rabies it will spend 6 month in a bare, concrete quarantine cell. So anyone that loves their cat enough to bring it with them, will most definitely get it vaccinated.

I hope people read past the first post if they search on "taking cats to Australia" because your information is misleading.